Demi-Humans and Tuluk

Started by Pantoufle, August 27, 2004, 12:32:28 PM

I was just mildly curious what some of you might think about the demi-human races of Zalanthas respecting (or not respecting) the custom of Tuluki caste tattoos.  Humans are the nationalists of each city-state mainly because they're the ones who represent their nation, they're the ones who receive full job availability, and their sorcerer-king (or whatever you want to call them) are human or at least of human origin since they're now immortals.  Either way, demi-humans typically have their own customs which differ from humans.

Anyway, the point is what do you kids think about demi-humans in Tuluk wearing caste tattoos?  The way I see it, there are two schools of thought.

1) Some might and some might not.  The ones who don't, well, why should they, right?  I mean they're the oppressed people and are far more limited with what jobs they can get (in some cases, they can't get any at all).  Just because they're born and bred within the city walls doesn't mean they automatically give a toss about their government or the customs of its nation.  Tuluki caste tattoos seem to me a demonstration of pride.  Well here's the question: is everyone going to be pride-filled across the board?  I don't think so, but...

2) In this scenario Tuluki demi-humans would be marching in line to receive their tattoos like the good little fascists they are, mainly for fear of (additional) discrimination or looking unpatriotic.  I'm probably going to open up a whole new can of worms by saying this but, as an example, look how it is in America today where (one could argue that) the yellow ribbon has replaced the swastika of old.  Where all and sundry are sporting MULTIPLE American flag stickers on their automobiles.  I almost feel ostracized for NOT being a flag-waver (though I'm not from here so maybe I can get away with it).  Still, you can see how people might decide to feel safer than sorry and emblazon their nation's symbols, even if it's not something they stand for or have much pride in.

Thoughts?  Flames?  Bring it.

on the realistic side, i feel i'm patriotic, but I didn't sign up for any military duty and I don't wave the flag. And if anyone gives me hell about it, (which no one has) I'll tell them to fuck off, I'm from Texas.

But, on the IG side of things...I think the tattoos run deeper than what's pressed on them by the city-state. It's in their heads, it's legend, it's just who they are. You grow up with something like that, and it's not a big deal.

I don't think that's how caste tattoos work at all.
Having/not having a caste tattoo means being or not being a citizen, being or not being a member of certain culture. Also, citizens get the tattoo pretty soon, and I guess its more the parents who decide whether their child will get one or not.
Agreed with Agent_137... the tattoos are probably something much much deeper than a stigma saying: look, I am a Tuluki slave, or look, I am a Tuluki noble. It's probably much more than a simple ID card :)
Note this:
QuoteThe Tuluki perspective has endowed the concept of tattoos with an intrinsic sense of history and self. While they might mean little to an observer, each tattoo details the life and circumstances of the person it is associated with. Often, the tattoos are detailed images of creatures and events that have occurred but just as often, they are intricate patterns and markings that are more symbolic in nature.
So, if they're from Gol, I guess they would have the tattoos, no matter their race...
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.