Discussion thread - Extended Subguilds

Started by Adhira, January 02, 2012, 08:14:13 PM

I'm a little nervous about the idea that everyone can app a main guild and subguild themselves 1 of the 4 sorcerous paths of magick  :-\

But ... as has been said ... we'll see how it works out.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Yam on January 02, 2012, 09:00:53 PM
The extended subguilds are just British. Long live grey!

Oi!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: musashi on January 02, 2012, 09:01:05 PM
I'm a little nervous about the idea that everyone can app a main guild and subguild themselves 1 of the 4 sorcerous paths of magick  :-\

I may be misunderstanding it, but I don't think everyone can app a sorcerer subguild.  It takes 4-5 karma to be able to access those subguilds.

Haha, makes me nervous too, considering how magick is powerful but it's also intriguing as well and I'm sure staff will watch the players and hopefully if they have the CGP and Karma for such things, that means they won't be too irresponsible. *crosses fingers*

I like this if, for no other reason, it makes true guild sniffing near impossible, and can actually cause people to have pause as to whether or not XYZ Joe Schmo warrior is a secret magicker.

I suffer no end of barbs for spelling differently (some might say more correctly).

Query: Is there some sort of event or change to the world that will explain these new subguilds or are we retroactively pretending that they've existed all along, in the case of NPCs and stuff?

Quote from: Rathustra on January 02, 2012, 09:05:17 PM

I suffer no end of barbs for spelling differently (some might say more correctly).

MORE WRONGER

A few of us wrote these helpfiles. Some of us are more correct than others!
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Yeah, it's really too early to tell. I'm just thinking, if the subguild is giving them the entire skill tree of a sorcerer for that one specific path of magick ... that might be a bit ... much  :-\

If it's a limited version of said skill tree ... well, then the help file on sorcerers might actually, finally, be telling the truth.

Quote from: Sorcerer Help FileTrue magick, as sorcery is sometimes known, is strictly outlawed in all the Known World, and has been even since the days of the Empire of Man. Some few people still strive to learn a spell or two, always hiding their ability. However, there are still some others who dedicate their lives to the pursuit of magick. These individuals are called sorcerers (the term 'mage' has always been used in a general sense, to refer to anyone who possesses magickal ability).

Prior to this ... heh, no one strived to learn just a spell or two. You were all in or nothing.

Anybody who actually uses those magick subguilds is setting themselves up for massive boredom and/or failure.  Hope you enjoy solo-RP and dodging bounty hunters.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I'd be interested to know...

if someone does -not- have even enough karma to normal app a rukkian or vivaduan - which is pretty low karma on the scale..and supposedly granted by being trustworthy to play the role...

then will they be able to "normal" app one of these sorcerous subguilds, that include spells that you normally need twice as much karma to cast, if you were relying on karma and not the GPS whatevers?

In other words...

I got just desert elf karma, so that's the best I can do without special apping. I'm not trustworthy enough to play a higher karma thing without special apping.

And yet - because I was consistent in my character reports, and did this or that...I can now play an assassin guild and subguild the some spells that would normally come with a karma class I'm not allowed to play? I mean - I couldn't even special app a drovian if I only have desert elf karma. And yet I can play a subguild with drovian spells in it?

Am I understanding that right? Cause I really can't see the logic in that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I don't think you're understanding that right. I think the karma minimum to play those sorcerous subguilds is up in the 4-5 karma range.

EDIT: I just looked at the help files. I don't think ... I know. 4-5.

The Gicker Subguilds are from the Sorc tree, as far as I can tell, not the lesser Magick guilds.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

I thought those were the GPS things, not karma. Those are two different things, no? GSPs are like roleplay points in other games..that you spend. Karma is karma, which you earn, and continue to have, or earn back..or...shit. It's all too complicated. Just let me know when I have whiran karma okay? Really. All these different points and spending and time windows and earning back is just too much work. I DO NOT DO MATH OKAY?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Is the 3-special-apps-per-year limit going to be enforced for applications that are just guild/extended subguild?

As I recall: you have as many chargen points as you have karma. I think that when you pick a karma race/guild, you get its karma amount deducted from your chargen points. Chargen points regenerate at X rate per Y time -- I think it was one a month.

Quote from: musashi on January 02, 2012, 09:12:26 PM
I don't think you're understanding that right. I think the karma minimum to play those sorcerous subguilds is up in the 4-5 karma range.

EDIT: I just looked at the help files. I don't think ... I know. 4-5.

But you can special-app up to 3 karma above your base.  So if you have 1 karma, you can presumably (in the future--maybe not right now) special-app for one of the 4-karma subs.  My understanding of it all from past discussions is that karma = max CGP, and current CGP = (max CGP - used CGP + regenerated CGP).

So I presume that it's possible to go up to -3 CGP in the special-app case, or maybe that's just something the staff will have to handle manually as part of the special-app process.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Delusion on January 02, 2012, 09:20:26 PM
As I recall: you have as many chargen points as you have karma. I think that when you pick a karma race/guild, you get its karma amount deducted from your chargen points. Chargen points regenerate at X rate per Y time -- I think it was one a month.

This is correct.

Who wants to take bets on the number of storage request resolved this week and next?

j/k

Also... will elementalists be able to take take the paths of magick subguilds?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 02, 2012, 09:08:25 PM
Anybody who actually uses those magick subguilds is setting themselves up for massive boredom and/or failure.  Hope you enjoy solo-RP and dodging bounty hunters.

I'm rather excited that they're sorcerous paths though, maybe folks will really start trying to treat sorcs correctly.. by burning them alive.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Yeah Lizzie, your karma rating is what determines the maximum amount of CGP's you have to spend. So unless you're putting in a special app, you can't have more CGP's than you have karma ... hence ... no ... you cannot app a 4 CGP cost subguild, without first having either 4 karma ... or 1 karma + a special app to get the other 3 points you need for this one character application.

I think the benefits and the costs of this are pretty balanced. If you take one of those subguilds, for all IC intents and purposes, you have some magickal power, but you're still a vile sorcerer that must be slain. I think the kind of people that can't handle the isolation of a sorcerer will favor one of the other subguilds (of which there is a pretty wide variety!).

Yes. The 3 special apps per year is still in place, even if special apping for these subguilds/skill bumps.  While this process is in the special app trial phase your karma points will not be deducted, so this is a trade off.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

I hope the benefits and costs of this are pretty balanced. Just too early to tell I think.

Sorcerers get A LOT of magick out of a single path.

I'm a little nervous about how much milage the subguilds will get out of the same path. I hope it's less than a full on sorcerer gets. But until I see it in game, can't really say anything else about it.

I only saw like 4 spells for those sorcerer subguilds. Not a whole path. But maybe that is a path? Never played a sorc.