New command: Glance

Started by Morrolan, February 20, 2006, 11:48:13 AM

Command Glance

This command lies somewhere between "assess <target>" and "look <target>".  It only looks at a predetermined set of locations on the targeted character's body.

These are:
<worn on head>
<face>
<primary hand>
<secondary hand>
<about body>

Syntax:
   glance curly

The curly-haired freak is here.

<worn on head>--------a helmety helmet
<face>-------------------a nasty scar
<primary hand>---------a weapon
<secondary hand>------a huge spice-bong
<about body>-----------a cloak-colored cloak

Note:
The glance command only returns the ldesc and the information above.  It is intended for glancing at people in the street or tavern who might be wearing a cloak (and thus have their features somewhat obscured)

When the <worn about body> slot is not filled, the command with show <worn on torso> instead.

This is also a way of checking to see if a character is armed when they arrive somewhere without adding to room-spam.

Delay:
   none
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I believe this is not the first time someone suggests something like this. IMO, you get ldesc when you "look" in the room and you can get look over items person wears without "look <person>". I'm stubborn and I don't like this idea.

Morfeus, Who Loves the Look-Echo.

PS:
QuoteWhen the <worn about body> slot is not filled, the command with show <worn on torso> instead.

- that means without pants?  :shock:

I like it, and have been a proponent of this for a while.

Yes please.

For those who complain that peek does the same thing: No, it does not.

Peek gives you far more information than 'glance' would.  Far more.

Should it also give the condition of people?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Mansa:
I thought about that, too.  For the condition of people, we already have a command that gives us that information without an echo.  After some thought, therefore, I decided that it wasn't critical.

Morfeus:
Thank you for looking up the older discussions touching on this command idea.  I read them and understand better how contentious this idea is.

Coming out of that reading of back-threads: I think <look> should have an echo.  But I think there is something (I call it <glance>) which gives more info than just the ldesc and less than look, and which would not necessitate an echo.

Oh, and yes, we can add pants.   :oops:

Morrolan

Edited because I'm feeling AR today.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

It should show condition anyway. You would see that at a glance.

If it shows condition, I'd be up for it.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Why don't we just change assess to include the features of glance?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Make it "assess -g."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

assess -g would be great. yes please.

at least SOMETHING to get very basic information that doesn't merit spam or me having to type "look amos with a casual glance" OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, and then having to IGNORE everything except their basic equipment.

X-D likes look echo and is against anything except an actual -skill- that would get rid of it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I am in a large computer lab. I glance away from my monitor and gaze across the other side of the room in less than 2 seconds. In that time, noticed Vittorio, a guy I studied abroad with. He's wearing a grey sweater with white stripes, still has the same short haircut, and is sitting down, with one hand on his leg, and the other on the desk in front of him.

His eyes were looking -away- from mine when I turned my head, so while he might see me on this side of the room, he did not see me look -at- him, though he might have seen me turn my head from the corner of his eye. Of course, i'm 60 feet away and in a crowd, so even that's unlikely.

I don't have the peek skill in real life. I'm generally not sneaky about things, and I wasn't even trying to see vittorio, or what he was wearing. I didn't know he was there until I glanced over there.

Now, I know this is a game and realism doesn't always apply, but in this case, I think it adds realism AND playability to have a glance command.

I haven't seen a reason not to have a glance commad except people going "omfg but i like the look echo!!! omfg," and "there's already a skill for that!!!"

Both reasons have nothing to do with the glance command. The first is irrelevant. We're not proposing eliminating the look echo. We're proposing a new command or an addition to the assess command.

And the whole "peek" issue is irrelevant, also. Peek does far more than this incarnation of the glance command would do, -and- only certain classes get it.

So come up with some reasons against, please, before you go shooting it down out of hand.

p.s.
More reasons for:
Looking at a room provides either a static description of the people there that doesn't invovle their current status (armed, clothing, injuries) or merely a pile of clothing with an approximate size (the huge fucking male is here, in an ugly ass cloak). Both of these options fail to accurately provide what would actually be seen in a look about the room. Assess -v helps with this, allowing us to check the sizes of those people without face coverings, and check their health and fatigue. (omg, all of that without an echo??)
Why is it such a bad idea to have one further command or assess option that allows us to see what else we would see by glancing about the room, that being their upper body clothing, and what they are brandishing in their hands?

QuoteBoth reasons have nothing to do with the glance command. The first is irrelevant. We're not proposing eliminating the look echo. We're proposing a new command or an addition to the assess command.

I don't think you have paid much attention to past arguements against then.

True, such a command does not get rid of the look echo, because it is a new command. But, it does reduce the amount the look echo would be seen, and this, I think is a bad thing, and so do many others. And for this one VERY important reason. The look echo is a main source of starting interaction, specialy for newbies. And this is the main reason I am dead set against anything that will remove/reduce it.

I can easily put up with some so and so looks at you to make the environment more newbie friendly and more interaction friendly, plain and simple.

If look echo keeps even a single new player in this game thereby increasing the playerbase and overall long term interaction then it is well worth the one line of spam on my screen.

And to tell you the truth, if it bothers you so much, then rather then have the game changed, why don't you do the work yourself and have your client parse look echos out? Any client can do it.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Not any client, but most. GMUD can't. It's, like, telnet with a couple of features, very simple, so, that's why I like it. But yeh, plenty of those clients can do a lot of different shit.

What would be good is if some of your scripting gurus put together fix patchs for various clients for these things and released them to our community. I think there'd be plenty of takers.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I don't use gmud, but if it has the ability to return lines in diff colors with keywords then you can simply set "looks at you" to return that line the same color as the backround, sure, it will still scroll your screen up but you won't see anything else.
:)
Lizzie:

Yea. And sometimes it'll turn every word to match the color of the background, so you are staring at it for 10 minutes then think "Shit!" and find out someones been talking to you.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Per Maybe42or54.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870