Chariots...

Started by Gaare, July 13, 2004, 02:23:59 PM

Probably there has been some posts before about war machines, but I couldn't find something about chariots.  

A few days ago, I was looking at old dark sun rpg books... Why don't we have chariots in game? Is it because that is hard to code?

No commoner PC can have something rather than a kank, erdlu, ... etc.. Chariots for example drawen by two erdlus, carrying just two people, would really be interesting.. What do you think?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

There are chariots in game.

But they're also very expensive.  You won't see the majority of people making use of them.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

If they are the same things I think they are, it would be good to see them not coded as mounts, but rather, actual wagons.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

7DV,

There was some discussion about that.  Mount-objects vs. Wagon-objects for animal drawn vehicles.

I think the biggest objection to making them wagon objects is that the driver is instantly invulnerable to attack unless the assailant actually "enters" the chariot, which seems pretty unreasonable.

At least as mount-objects, you can "pack" cargo, "hitch" them, "title" them, the animals suffer fatique, they can be stabled safely, and someone can pick you off with arrows while you drive them, and pirate them.

Of course, this may all change with the Dust Cloud's work.   :D

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

It's not so much that they are mounts which annoys me, but rather this.

A red chariot walks west, carrying a man in black.

That is not real tight.

In the code, we can add a flag called wagon, in the same manner that  mount is currently in. In Move.act, or whatever the file is, we can do this.

if aff_wagon
send_to_room "(mount) rolls west, driven by (PC)."
send_to_char "You drive (mount) west."

ALSO in do_mount

if aff wagon
send_to_room "(PC) climbs into (mount)."
send_to_char "You climb into (mount)."

THere is NO case where this would be hard to implement.

And the realism would be amped. Additionally, on these mounts, the number of passengers could be adjusted. This may be harder to do right. But the first part is in no way difficult.

Also, I would like to see carts, crappy badly-made carts, which one could buy for obviously more than a single mount, but not for that much ... maybe a thousand sids....

I have ridden on a chariot that was a wagon object rather than a mount.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Me too.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Me three.  Probably the same one as you guys.  However, I didn't just ride in it, I accidently drove it into a barracks.  :oops:  Hey, it wasn't all my fault!  The kank pulling the chariot wouldn't listen, and besides they ought to make barracks doors too small for a wagon to roll on in.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

*sigh*

Chariots should not be wagon objects. Get it?

You prefer them to have hit points and suffer the same joys mounts do?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Lazloth"You prefer them to have hit points and suffer the same joys mounts do?

Hmm.. I am also supportive of chariot, but this quote just hinted that it can be very difficult to code.  

Sure they better not have hit points, as wagons do, but it is possible to -break- a chariot, whereas it is not in case of wagons.  And unlike wagons, chariots can be driven into close combat, and archery works inside of the chariot.  So adding all these to make chariot unique might be a little difficult to code.  
But really, how nice would it be to see a chariot driven by two erdlus, carrying a militia member and a templar on its back :)
some of my posts are serious stuff

I think chariots should remain as wagons.  Not being able to fit multiple people on a  chariot is harder to explain than not fitting multiple people on a kank.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"I think chariots should remain as wagons.  Not being able to fit multiple people on a  chariot is harder to explain than not fitting multiple people on a kank.
Not really. Many chariots were single-person.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"
Quote from: "spawnloser"I think chariots should remain as wagons.  Not being able to fit multiple people on a  chariot is harder to explain than not fitting multiple people on a kank.
Not really. Many chariots were single=person.

This is Very true, Very very true.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

...and kanks are giant ants.  A slick shell that only easily lends to sitting in a spot or so.  Which do you think would be easier to cram another person on?

I am confused, we seem to be jumping from topic to topic, How did that have anything to do with the fact there were both multiple and single person Chariots?
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: "Krath"I am confused, we seem to be jumping from topic to topic, How did that have anything to do with the fact there were both multiple and single person Chariots?

Venomz believes that chariots should be mounts.  Mounts are single person conveyances.  The only chariots I have seen in game are wagons, meaning it can carry more than one person.

No, He is upset at this...Read his post again...:

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not so much that they are mounts which annoys me, but rather this.

Code:
A red chariot walks west, carrying a man in black

That is not real tight.

In the code, we can add a flag called wagon, in the same manner that mount is currently in. In Move.act, or whatever the file is, we can do this.

Code:
if aff_wagon
send_to_room "(mount) rolls west, driven by (PC)."
send_to_char "You drive (mount) west."

ALSO in do_mount

if aff wagon
send_to_room "(PC) climbs into (mount)."
send_to_char "You climb into (mount)."

THere is NO case where this would be hard to implement.

And the realism would be amped. Additionally, on these mounts, the number of passengers could be adjusted. This may be harder to do right. But the first part is in no way difficult.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is moreso a message system that is upsetting him I think..Now as far as Mounts being Single Person Conveyances I do not know where that came from, Horses are mounts correct? Yet Two people can ride a single horse at a time correct?

It is just your opinion, it can be Either Wagon or Mount.  Maybe specialized messages based on the Type of MOUNT or Wagon would be the answer.

Then...why does he argue that there is a problem with chariots being wagons?

Personally, custom messages are awesome...but I'm not sure how they would be coded, considering how the messages come to us, from my understanding, that would be a revamp of the movement code to some extent.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Then...why does he argue that there is a problem with chariots being wagons?

Personally, custom messages are awesome...but I'm not sure how they would be coded, considering how the messages come to us, from my understanding, that would be a revamp of the movement code to some extent.

Spawnloser, nm. Listen, chariots should be mounts if anything BECAUSE THEY ARE OPEN AIR VESSELS, AND A PERSON SHOULD BE ABLE TO ATTACK YOU WITHOUT GETTING IN THE THING! However, that was not my main point. My main point was that the wagonish thingie I saw in game before was a mount, with the mountish movement message, but it was not described as a mount. I was offering a solution to the cheesy message that would come with the mount-being-a-vessel idea. If chariotish vessels made of mounts no longer exist, then I think that alone is a mistake, but my entire argument prior to this then becomes invalid.

I can kinda understand your point, Venomz, but consider this.  A war chariot should be able to hold four people.  A pilot and a couple spearman or archers.  How do you explain that when only one person can fit on the thing?

A war chariot for halflings?[/quote]
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Why does it have to carry four people? That may be realistic, but it is more realistic for someone to be able to shoot at the chariot rider. Of course, to be perfectly candid about this all, a revamp of the riding and wagon code needs to occur. I certianly think that wagonish items should exist more, and be more prevelant, but that isn't going to happen, so in the end, all this arguing is kinda mote, eh?

The most I can hope for is that if chariots are going to be mounts, that they use my suggestion to make them move viable. Secondly, that if chariots are going to be wagon_items, that they put limits on the number of people capapble of fitting into a room.

*shrug*