Chariots...

Started by Gaare, July 13, 2004, 02:23:59 PM

Wait, I thought you could attack wagon objects.  If chariots were wagon objects, couldn't you just attack the chariot instead of the people inside?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

From my understanding, wagons are essentially moving rooms, and I don't think They can be attacked.  The wagon object in the room simply provides the door, and the rooms inside are not really any different codewise from any other room.  You just keep moving the link to get to these rooms.  You cab enter the wagon and start attacking, But I don't think you can attack a wagon.  I mean Hoe would that work,  Would it have hit points?  Would It fight back?  I guess the only way it could work is it has a certain number of hit point, and when you manage to hack them away, all to contents spill out to the room the wagon is in.  I would think that would be difficult to code, but I'm not sure.
Vettrock

You can attack tents, so the argument that you can't attack a wagon because they're just moving rooms doesn't work.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

tents aren't rooms in the same way wagons are rooms.

This is related to the reason you can't quit out in a tent, Ever.

I have always wanted to see sand sleds. Its the equivelant of a wheel barrow but more adapted to the sand of Zalanthas. Pretty much its just a flat surface on two curved sled blades. It would be an object that can be drug, sort of the same way you have to free your hands to lift an object that is to heavy.

This way pulling the sled would leave you unarmed, would cost a good bit of stamina from the weight, but the up side is that it would be a container that could carry much larger laods than a person could normally lift. I can see obsidian miners and foresters profiting greatly from such an item.

Something like....

A bone and wood sandsled is here being held by an obsidian miner.

Look Sled

This sled has been crafted from a single plank of dark hued baobab wood nailed atop two parallel bone sled runners.

Look in sled

Within a bone and wood sandsled you see:
Many chunks of large obsidian

You know just something like that...and it could even leave its own special tracks in the sand behind you..

Many hours ago a sandsled moved west drawn by a short strided humanoid.

I dont know how hard this would be to code, but the merchant clases and even the nomadic tribes would love such an item,,allowing them to use thier own stamina and strength to move larger amounts of material at a high stamina cost.

I dig that, White Ranger.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"
Quote from: "spawnloser"I think chariots should remain as wagons.  Not being able to fit multiple people on a  chariot is harder to explain than not fitting multiple people on a kank.
Not really. Many chariots were single-person.

Still having 3 people on a chariot would be tight. Plus, you would want some advantage in mounted combat I should think.

EDIT: I am behind....

That said, I agree with 3V, this won't work as a wagon.

Mounts should have multiple slots for people to sit on. Kanks 2, Erdlu 1, Chariot 1-5....etc.

Plus mounts should simply have two action "echo" fields. Erdlu = walks/ride, Chariot = rides/drives, Kank = [something insecty/ride]

These echos would go in place of the defaults. You ride a kank east/a kank scurries east carrying a guy. You drive a flame-etched war chariot east/a flame-etched war chariot rolls east carrying a guy.

The same thing should apply for unit PCs. I have seeing:

A unit of Allanaki militia slashes a gith's head hard.

This should clearly be:

A unit of Allanaki militia assaults a gith's head hard.

Which is still a little silly....but this brings up other things, Chariots and Units don't have heads and arms.

Joe slashes a Chariot's head hard....um no...

Joe slashes a Chariot's front side....maybe.

A unit of Allanaki militia slashes a unit of gith scouts' head hard....no

A unit of Allanaki militia assaults a unit of gith scouts' flank hard....I can see that..

Speaking from a programmers point of view most of this stuff could really just be handled by allowing multiples on mounts, and some label changes for actions and body parts.

Quote from: "MSM"
Plus mounts should simply have two action "echo" fields. Erdlu = walks/ride, Chariot = rides/drives, Kank = [something insecty/ride]

These echos would go in place of the defaults. You ride a kank east/a kank scurries east carrying a guy.

Scuttles.  Scuttles is much more insecty than scurries, scurries is more something a mouse would do, and who wants to ride a giant mouse?  Ok, riding a giant mouse could be cool, but there doesn't seem to be any big enough . . . hmm.  

Anyway, you would need more than one custom movement because mounts can walk, run, and possibly sneak.  You don't want your chariot to be rolling along, and then start "running" when you pour on the speed.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Agreed. Every moving thing needs at least three movement messages. The defaults should stand for just about any two legged creature, and many four legged creatures, but there should be an option for a builder to change the movement messages given for each NPC created.

A spider scuttles to the west.
A spider scuttles rapidly to the west.
A spider sneaks west.

A chariot rolls west.
A chariot rapidly rolls west.
A chariot gently rolls west.

Using OLC,  on my MUD, one might see all of that as this:

move_walk: rolls
move_run: rapidly rolls
move_sneak: slowly rolls

Else, you'd see:

move_walk: default
move_run: default
move_sneak: default

Problem solved...

Man, I like that idea 7DV.

That is pretty tight, 7DV.

Out of curiosity, what kind of codebase is DIKU?  C++?

Hey that was a brillant idea 7DV.  :wink:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"That is pretty tight, 7DV.

Out of curiosity, what kind of codebase is DIKU?  C++?

Nah, DIKU is C.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Quote from: "Quirk"
Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"... what kind of codebase is DIKU?  C++?
...DIKU is C.

Quirk is correct. However, some forms of Diku MUDs have evolved into hybrids. In other words, some of it is C, and some of it is C++.

I'll make a mental note to rewrite DIKU in ... Python, or something.  When I have free time.  That isn't taken up by playing Armageddon.

Come to think of it, I'll never get around to it.

Err.. Maybe we can have another group in GDB, in which staff asks players who are programmers IRL to help with the code.. Something like...

We need function integer tieMe(character *a, character *b, object c). 'character' is a structure. You'll need the integers character.agility and character.skills[8] (which is the skill subdue). You'll check if the object c equals one of the nodes in the node system character.inv (Err.. Here in Turkey we usually use nodes for lists of items when we need to search them frequently. I don't know if nodes are known as 'nodes' in English.. Anyway, this is just an example.). if not, the function will return -3. If string "rope" is not found in string c.flags the function will return -2. Then you'll roll a 1d20 and check the difference between the skills multiplied by the agilities. If the one in the attempt (a) has lost the roll with a difference more than 10, the function will add the flag (subdue) to a.effects and will set the pointer b.subduing to a. Then it will return -1. Any other failure will return 0 and will set the integer a.waitstate to 30. The success will return 1, will add b.effects 'subdue', will set b.wield and b.hold to c and will add the flag 'cursed' to c.flags.

Of course, I don't know anything about the code. The example is probably too simple. But the ones having free time may help for some long but easy work. I don't know what ARM's code is programmed in, but I guess I may help for C, C++ or Phyton (will need time to revive my memory for Phyton)
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Cenghiz, brilliant.

Quote from: "Cenghiz"Err.. Maybe we can have another group in GDB, in which staff asks players who are programmers IRL to help with the code.. Something like...

We need function integer tieMe(character *a, character *b, object c). 'character' is a structure. You'll need the integers character.agility and character.skills[8] (which is the skill subdue). You'll check if the object c equals one of the nodes in the node system character.inv (Err.. Here in Turkey we usually use nodes for lists of items when we need to search them frequently. I don't know if nodes are known as 'nodes' in English.. Anyway, this is just an example.). if not, the function will return -3. If string "rope" is not found in string c.flags the function will return -2. Then you'll roll a 1d20 and check the difference between the skills multiplied by the agilities. If the one in the attempt (a) has lost the roll with a difference more than 10, the function will add the flag (subdue) to a.effects and will set the pointer b.subduing to a. Then it will return -1. Any other failure will return 0 and will set the integer a.waitstate to 30. The success will return 1, will add b.effects 'subdue', will set b.wield and b.hold to c and will add the flag 'cursed' to c.flags.

Of course, I don't know anything about the code. The example is probably too simple. But the ones having free time may help for some long but easy work. I don't know what ARM's code is programmed in, but I guess I may help for C, C++ or Phyton (will need time to revive my memory for Phyton)

Not going to happen.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Cengiz.. sometimes you make me think your brain can produce something useful.. This is one of those rare moments..  

Brilliant.  :wink:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT