Mounts and riding

Started by Trenidor, June 24, 2004, 02:18:17 PM

After posting somewhere else I got an idea that would cause for fun/interesting roleplay.

It isn't so much code, but mleh I couldn't think of where else to put it.

---Bridals and saddles.---

lower the price of mounts at the stables, and add in more items like saddles and bridals.

There'd be different bridals for different animals, and there'd be differnt "strengths" for the bits on the bridals.

The different bits on the bridals would allow you to ride animals easier (meaning you don't learn the ride skill as fast, but at least you can ride the animal) and other bits would be normal. The different bridals could be colorfull, not colorfull, fancy, etc. (nobles would have the ones with jewels in it and stuff, lol)

And then saddles would allow you to ride easier (than without one) same with bridals (if you didn't have one it'd be -ALOT- harder than having one)

Saddles could be made of leather, and a flat piece of wood for the seat.

Bridals would be made of leather and a bit

bits could be made of wood, bone, even stone.

And I also think that a branding NPC should be somewhere near the stables (so staff don't have to do it) These branding NPCs would be tattoos for animals, and it would allow you to choose a color, shape, and if you want it tattooed on the shell (or skin) or if you want it burn on (would likely be cheaper) a brand would be made of stone so that it could be heated up to high temperatures.

When you look at a kank/mount, it had the wearlocations of:

<back> a normal leather kank saddle
<face> a fancy wooden-bited leather bridal

etc, normal tattoo locations

And if you were to put the saddle on, you'd use a command like:

saddle kank saddle
saddle kank bridal (just to keep things in the same subject)

It would also mean that you would need a bridal (or a leadrope which could be another mountwearable item) to hitch your mount. You could always ride one, it would just be harder to ride without one (of course if you learned it that way you could always ride it like that)

You could also have blankets and other things that would help you ride somewhat.

You'd have to remove all that stuff to store your mount, you could put in a tack storage (maybe just saddle) NPC in the stables, it'd be only a small amount compaired to the stableing price, maybe deduct 5 sid from that price and have the saddle store NPC cost 5 per saddle

This would make it a lot funner to own a mount, because you'd have to put the saddle and bridal on it after getting it from the stables.

This would also make it funner for theives to steal mounts, if the owner wasn't around, they could emote pulling the bridal off, steal the reigns from the animal (cuz it would automatically sucess steal them) and then drop the reigns on the ground and put a haulter on the animal then run off with the animal hitched to them.

Another thing to cover is that IRL saddles can be cheap if they are made of crappy leather and don't have designs on them, but the good quality kind (that cost around $500) will have fancy designs on them, and take a long time to make, most people don't buy them, but instead have an organization hold an event with a saddle as teh prize. The winner shows off their skills with this new saddle.

there's more I just can't think of it right now...
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Heh...dude, not to get down on you, but to inform you...you use 'bridles' on animals...bridals are where people give gifts to a bride-to-be.

Personally, though, I like your idea...but think mounts prices shouldn't change.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

like I said on the other post:

you spell bridles your way, I'll spell them my way...

(I'm just too lazy to fix it.)

seems a lot of pain in the ass for all those people who don't want to fuck with dealing with tack. What do they get in return? Pretty shit to put on their animal.

No thanks. Just emote it.

Immortals: do saddles even exist in game, virtually or codedly?

Quote from: "Agent_137"seems a lot of pain in the ass for all those people who don't want to fuck with dealing with tack. What do they get in return? Pretty shit to put on their animal.

No thanks. Just emote it.

Immortals: do saddles even exist in game, virtually or codedly?

Not just prettiness

they'd also provide an easier way to ride, like tools IG, they would give a boost to the skill ride whenever they were used. When an animal has them on, and the rider types: e , it'll trigger the saddle to becomed "used" like tools currently do now.

Kanks are big ants. Ants don't have tongues. They don't have teeth. They have pincers. There exists no place to put a bit on a kank.

Inixes are -very- lazy slovenly easy-to-tire fat lizards. If you put a bit in their mouth they'll probably just chew it off, and then chew your face for daring to fuck with them in such a manner.

War beetles - heh - good luck getting ANYTHING close to their mouths, let alone a bit. Unless of course you don't mind finishing the experiment with a missing hand.

This isn't reality, it's a non-realistic fantasy game set in a non-realistic setting. There is no need to add more "realism" to the game, in my opinion. It would require way too many variables to consider.

Horses, if I remember correctly, already come with saddles and bits as part of their main descriptions. You'd have to change those main descriptions if you were going to add seperate objects for tack.

I just don't think it's worth all this effort, when there are so many possible ways to roleplay riding these non-realistic mounts.

THere are many ways to roleplay riding these animals, but the fact is that we strive for realism, to a logical degree. If we do this, why not imp saddles and bits and reins and such? I have no problem with this idea. And what is more, it is not difficult.

The code that I am using for my project comes with this idea intact, and furthermore, when you stable your beast, the bridle and reins and such remain with the mount, and are reloaded when you unstable your animal. Using a different method of writing info onto a ticket object would enable easy use of these riding tools, and I wouldn't mind seeing it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "Bestatte"Kanks are big ants. Ants don't have tongues. They don't have teeth. They have pincers. There exists no place to put a bit on a kank.

Inixes are -very- lazy slovenly easy-to-tire fat lizards. If you put a bit in their mouth they'll probably just chew it off, and then chew your face for daring to fuck with them in such a manner.

War beetles - heh - good luck getting ANYTHING close to their mouths, let alone a bit. Unless of course you don't mind finishing the experiment with a missing hand....

Inixes are more like elephants IMHO, you could put a blanket or something on them, not -ALL- animals need to even have reigns. Either way, I didn't know that Inix eat rocks (rock bits) plus, you could at least have a bridle on them around their face, even if it doesn't have a bit.

Kanks have bit's as well, your bridle connects to their pincers so that it'll pull them wider than they are made to go if you want to turn that way, there's a length of leather going across them that holds a bit inside their mouth (looks like a giant cork) when you pull on the reigns the bit shoves farther into their mouth causing them to gag and stop.

War beetles....c'mon, it's not real, think up something as to how you put a bridle on them. If it were actually trained to be in public (upclose near the nobles) I'm sure they are trained to be calm at times while you put a bridle on them, else the nobles would have them killed for lashing out in public.

I don't have any problem at all with this, and it would, admittingly, be a pretty cool feature, but I'm sure there are probably quite a few other things that the staff are working on now. I don't know all that much about coding anything, so I'm really not sure how hard it would be to implement this. However, keep in mind that any new thing added to the mud is likely to cause unforseen bugs or raise minor snags that would increase the expected amount of time needed for implementation. I guess this could be put on someone's to do list and it may eventually get added in.

I like the freedom to RP how my character is riding an animal.

Quote from: "Delirium"I like the freedom to RP how my character is riding an animal.
You still can...Without reigns, just take the things off, no saddle, take the saddle off, what do you plan on doing? Something really unrealistic that would require not having things on your mounts?

Quote from: "blacksheep"I don't have any problem at all with this, and it would, admittingly, be a pretty cool feature, but I'm sure there are probably quite a few other things that the staff are working on now. I don't know all that much about coding anything, so I'm really not sure how hard it would be to implement this. However, keep in mind that any new thing added to the mud is likely to cause unforseen bugs or raise minor snags that would increase the expected amount of time needed for implementation. I guess this could be put on someone's to do list and it may eventually get added in.

Surprisingly I hear that alot, in fact....every good idea of mine has seen that comment...

I'm just saying that most of us know this, if we didn't we could put:

GOGOGOGO this is an awesome IDEA!

Instead of being pessimistic

----

I'd imagine it'd take a while to design the new items, but a few players I'm sure would be willing to help

Quote from: "Trenidor"
Quote from: "Delirium"I like the freedom to RP how my character is riding an animal.
You still can...Without reigns, just take the things off, no saddle, take the saddle off, what do you plan on doing? Something really unrealistic that would require not having things on your mounts?

What's so unrealistic about riding with nothing on your mount? The Native Americans did it. The early Turks did it. The Huns were especially known for it. Being able to hop onto a mount without a saddle or bit doesn't necessarily mean poor rp, it could just mean the character is very fluent in riding mounts. The concept of saddle and reins isn't something that every culture utilizes.

Quote from: "Trenidor"
Quote from: "blacksheep"I don't have any problem at all with this, and it would, admittingly, be a pretty cool feature, but I'm sure there are probably quite a few other things that the staff are working on now. I don't know all that much about coding anything, so I'm really not sure how hard it would be to implement this. However, keep in mind that any new thing added to the mud is likely to cause unforseen bugs or raise minor snags that would increase the expected amount of time needed for implementation. I guess this could be put on someone's to do list and it may eventually get added in.

Surprisingly I hear that alot, in fact....every good idea of mine has seen that comment...

I'm just saying that most of us know this, if we didn't we could put:

GOGOGOGO this is an awesome IDEA!

Instead of being pessimistic

----

I'd imagine it'd take a while to design the new items, but a few players I'm sure would be willing to help

implicit in this pessimism is "what other cool feature or bug fix is being put -behind- this one?"

We don't know. So the harder it is to code, the less I'm prone to like it, all things being equal.

Trenidor.. it is a very good idea..
but I don't think it belongs in arm, most are IG anyway, for instance, war beetles have saddles and harnesses in their desc and ldesc.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

It really isn't that hard to code, all the stuff is already in game.

We already are able to get tattoos on animals, it just requires a little staff help.  And to it isn't that hard to set a small string to do something whenever typed, having a: saddle command would just mean to force an animal to use the wear code. New Items are my only sight for what would take long, I can think up a few of them right now, but it wouldn't take care of everyone's needs.

And all you would have to do is unload your mount every time you go to the stables (maybe trigger your ticket to upload the things on)

You say that it'd be too much of a hassle because you'd have to saddle all your stuff before your set out to ride, I say that if you were -really- in that big of a hurry, you'd have to be in a clan, clans have open stables and you could just leave them in there with the stuff on and say the slaves take care of it the whole time, brushing it and feeding it and keeping the saddle on it, but makeing sure the animal is in good conditon.

And even if you aren't in a clan, who's saddling your mount now? You're just riding it bareback? Ok then, you wouldn't need items if that were the case. Now if you say that some inns will saddle the thing for you, it takes an extra tip to do so.

Now, on the part that it's already in the descriptions....Do those stick out in any way? This is the first time I've ever heard of them, maybe I'm just not observant, but if that's so, why bother with them? Just V-item it and say that you have the thing on...

Of course if you win one of the kank rases, you won't get any fancy prize to wear around whenever you're riding your prized kank.

We aren't a MUSH or any other type of game so why do we act like it? Why not go for the coded thing that it's there?
The only reason I'd like to see more things coded is becuase it helps clear up situations where people get confused without code.
take the watch code for example, people were getting confused about weather or not someone was watching a dirrection or if their back was turned. If their back was turned, they wouldn't be able to see the band of raiders walking over to them, but if they were watching the dirrection, they would be able to see the raiders comeing. The raiders would then not be able to cry to the staff about you spam fleeing when they entered the room because code would be on your side.

so you are telling me, since my mount has to be unpacked before i put them in the stables as it is now, and i was an inde ranger, I would have to carry that around?

Quote from: "sacac"so you are telling me, since my mount has to be unpacked before i put them in the stables as it is now, and i was an inde ranger, I would have to carry that around?

I think I also had an idea of putting in a tack storage guy right there at the stables.  I dunno, maybe you should just READ once in a while.

There was also the idea of just keeping it recorded inside your ticket, but it would auto unload right when you got your mount out or even keeping it on, I dunno.

Yea, And then what would be the point of that? I'm going to have to spend 40 + everytime i want to stable a damn mount.
Store it on the ticket? I don't like that either takes up valuable ginka space if you ask me.
We may not be classified as a mush, but we mimick a mush from time to time.
We would have to have shops with saddles, have to review every ridable creature and make it able to take a command or two. or even make up a new command.
Sure it might add a sliver of reality onto it, BUT THEY AREN"T HORSES or any other earth mount. (though I saw a horse IG once, if that matters)
if you want it, go ahead and RP all that out til your heart fills with joy, But I don't like it.

I don't like it.