Need Advice on Resurgence... ing... izing...

Started by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit, June 23, 2004, 11:26:59 PM

Hi everybody.
I know that a while ago I made a post claiming I was going to make a triumphant come-back, but sadly, I never did. Other things came up. Important things that I'm not at liberty to discuss. Things with explosions and exciting stuff like that.
Anyways, with the coming of a nice, juicy summer vacation (and a break-up with my girlfriend, in case you were wondering, AC. Hey, six months is a lot better than any of you computer geeks could do), I suddenly have a lot of free time on my hands. A -lot-. If there was ever time a for me to attempt to rejoin Armageddon, this is it.
I have a bit of a problem, however. When I left, I never bothered deleting my character. And it'd be a little difficult, jumping back into the game and starting him up again. Reasons?
1. He's not exactly fluent in the main language of the area I'm playing with him in.
2. I'm not up to date with any of the major IC events in the area.
3. I'm having trouble coming up with a good IC reason for his abscense.
4. Few people knew him, and those who did are most likely dead.
5. I'm a little rusty on game mechanics, espicially any major code changes that might've happened.
Any one have any solutions? Should I delete? Tough it out? I have missed any important changes over the past three to four months?
Oh, and I'm happy to be back. And everything. W00t.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

email the staff to store them

then set your objective to: Waiting for character to store

And prepair another character

I've tried staying in the game, but it's not worth it, just get a new char.

It'd be better if you went and learned some of the new code as well with a differnt person.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

You accidentally stomped on Lord Templar Bob of the Black's toe when he was exactly walking to show off his new glass sandals from Cenyr, and have been forced to escape the city-state, feeding on nothing but desert roaches and bloodied sand.

You were abducted by defilers.

You were captured by gith and was cooking for them until a group of nameless Bynners slaughtered them all and rode off into the sunset (and down the Shield Wall).

You don't remember.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

stick it out! Shit. It's not like it'd be unfun for -you-. Roll with the punches. You don't have any friends to wonder about your absensce, anyway.

Yeah, I'm with the stick it out route. You can do it and if not, well you probably won't have to try to do it for long! :twisted:
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

If you don't have any friends still alive, then you don't have anyone to expalin your absence to.  Just assume that your character was doing whatever he does all this time, virtually.
Back from a long retirement

Use your current pc to re-get to know the code. That is my opinion.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I think it'd be fun to come back after a prolonged absence and say I was lost in the brush, in love with a kank, or whatever.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

And just for the record, I have been dating the same person for almost two years now.

As was stated above, I think you should sacrifice your current pc to learn about recent IC events, code changes, and things of that nature. You may even get back into them that way.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

(was this thread resurrected from the grave by a necromancer-bot?  It looks like Cegar is suddenly responding to a two-year old, moldy post)
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

You were visiting family.
You were on a mission/job.
You were exploring.
You were in jail for a while.
Your character found  a mate and was with her family, but she's dead now. Bummer.

Since most of the people who knew him are dead and few others know him, it seems like he'd be easy to play and just get to know new people with him.  I think you should use him to get to know code changes, refamiliarize yourself with the game and what's going on, and THEN decide after a few weeks if you want to shelf him, can him, or keep him.

I just came back from a several month leave and am having to try to get back into it.  Supposedly my character is a regular in town, but there are all these people I've never met who are the "new" regulars.  ICly I should know them and don't, so I'm in the same boat as you...where has my character been?  I've got a few IC reasons worked out.  I'm not going to worry about it so much.  I like my character so I'll make it work.
es, Narnia, the film that teaches kids that Jesus is a lion that kills people by biting them in the face...

Wow. I saw it on the main general discussion board with the little glowing sign and instinctively thought it was new. Odd. Perhaps I made a mistake and I searched for something and found it? Apologies.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

My guess is that it bumped by a bot, and the bot-post deleted.  I just remember it when it was fresh, and I was still wearing knickers.

Still a good topic.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Tell them that the powers that be stored your body in a time-space vacuum and put your mind into a templar's body! And then you got fired. Should make for some interesting RP.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"2. I'm not up to date with any of the major IC events in the area.

Don't forget that we have boards in the game we post major IC events on. Sometimes, there are some post in the 'Player Announcements' thread about upcoming and major events.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Post-bot or not, it's funny that this topic should come up again, as I've found myself in exactly in the same situation two years later. Heh.
Well, last time I stored, so this time I think I'll stick it out. This time'll be a little tougher, though, because there's a number 6 tacked on to the list... my character last logged out in an area of the world where he could not of realistically survived for that long.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

So your character virtually wandered away from the area he quit out in, did some stuff in other places, then virtually wandered back in time for you to log back in and catch him.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."