Knives

Started by Spud, May 17, 2004, 04:31:01 PM

Hey, just wondering if its possible to cut the straps of a pack to take it. I've tried a bunch of things but can't come up with anything. if you've got an idea I'd like to hear it. :?
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

i think this is left up to emotes and not actual code. and toss this type of question in code discussion next time.

forgive me, old ones, if I'm giving out too much IC info or am simply wrong.

Since I'm a cynic:

The trouble with leaving it up to emotes means having to trust the player of the victim.  I really believe (read: delude myself) that over half of the player population would play along.

The trouble with using code is potential abuse.  If there is a coded way to do it, there really should be a mandatory emoting.

Cynicism aside, I'd like to be able to cut into a pack and snag an item, or cut off a pouch from someone's belt.  Imagine the absolute angst as you realize that someone sliced into your pack, snagged your pouch of sid and a travel cake and a whole bunch of your stuff fell out on the way.

well, what i mean is, (perhaps i misunderstood the question) if you steal something out of a closed backpack, or steal a backpack, you'd say to yourself, "i'm cutting the strap," or "i'm cutting a hole." And you could have your knife out, too.

Anything you do with code that doesn't describe how it's done you should walk through in your head, at least.

i don't think you should be jackin' packs without hard code to back you up, namely,the steal code.

I for one would play along.  However, it'd have to be realistic.  If I have two well trained bodyguards standing their, my playing along would be, your getting caught by them.

If I was alone, or the conditions were right for a theft, I'd hand over the pack :-)

Unfortunetely what is to stop anyone (not someone with the steal skill) from walking up to you, emoting cutting your pack straps and waiting for you to hand them your pack? Its really hard to justify... like how do you even know if they have the skill or not?

Personally I'd like to see this left up to a coded process, and if there isn't one then Im willing to wait for one to be created.

Personally in the past, (at least two/three years ago) I was subdued by one raider and his partner emoted walking up and cutting the straps of my pack, and I played along and dropped my pack.
Vettrock

That would be fun actualy, and I could emote grabbing my backpack and trying to get it away from the little dirty bastard.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I had my backpack's straps cut off once and I played along.

About the skillage thing, though...I personally don't think cutting off some straps and snatching a backpack counts as a steal skill.  They can emote trying to sneak behind you, readying the knife and then running for it.

Being a fast thief shouldn't offer a very big advantage with it...I always viewed it as a surprise check.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?