Left and right.

Started by Radioactive Age, May 09, 2004, 02:27:41 PM

One thing I have wished arm to have is left and right wear locations and left and right hands instead of secondary & primary. This way I can place a tattoo on the left hand instead of on both hands. This would not be a problem as long as you keep the 'hands' wear location for gloves and stuff.

My problem with the current primary and secondary hold/wield locations is that if I am lefty my primary hand should be the left one not the secondary one.  So in the creation screen one option should be "lefty, righty, or random? (L, R, D)". If you choose lefty then your left hand will be primary and your right hand would be secondary. And vice verse. Random would be random.  And if it would be possible for one to have ambidexterity that would be neat too.

And with this stupid idea of mine I have a question. Why can't one hold a cup with the primary(right hand) hand? That is a bad code limitation the left and right idea would fix this.

the left and right would also bring in some new RP experiances. For example in real life many cultures view being a lefty as taboo. Would be intresting what RP things you can develop out of that.

Like RP a lefty trying to act like a righty in order not to lose his job as the noble's aide.

I know this is a silly post. but I do feel it would be good to get rid of such simple code limitations.

To mine own understanding, the primary and secondary hand aren't necesarrily the same for all characters. I would reckon you would choose which one is your primary and which one is your secondary. I remember hearing taht you can only learn while in battle with weapons that are in your primary hand, not your secondary. Some items don't go in your primary hand because your primary hand is mostly used in battle, so that is why they wont let you put it in there. I think it would be to hard to code what you are asking, but I don't know much about coding.
uppers.

To reply to the part about which weapon is wielded in which hand...

"Primary" does not necessarily mean right hand.  It IS what most people RP it as, but if your character is left-handed, you can assume that "Primary" is your left hand.  Now when people look at you and see that you have something in your "primary" hand, they don't know it's your left and will often assume it's your right, and yes this is kind of stupid.  But that's not the code's fault, that's the person's fault for assuming it's your right hand, because the code doesn't dictate that primary is always the right hand, either.

I do agree that it would be an improvement if we could change it into right or left hand, if it were an easy click-of-the-mouse modification to the code.  Otherwise, leave it as it is, I'd rather the imms be doing something more important.

Doing this would involve having to monkey with -every- single 'pair of gloves' item in the game.  I'd rather see staff people's time devoted in other areas, personally.

Gloves are worn in the hands location. ALl they have to do is add two more wear locations and not make any items for them two new locations. Unless they want to make gloves for a single hand.

Unless I'm mistaken here, 'hold' is just another name for the 'es' command.  Use 'ep mug'.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Nope, some things can't be wielded, or ep'ed since they are meant to be held.  Just like some weapons can't be held, only wielded.
Vettrock

I'd like to see the following tattoo and scar only locations added..

left hand
right hand
left arm
right arm
left forearm
right forearm
left leg
right leg

Left & right hand locations would be covered whenever something was worn on the 'hands' location..

Left & right arm locations would be covered whenever something was worn on the 'arms' location..

Etc, etc, etc.

I'd also dearly love to see things worn 'about' the body cover both right & left shoulder tattoo/scar locations.

Basically all those areas would only be available for tattoos and scars, but wearing appropriate clothing would still cover them up. It seems simple enough in theory, unless it would still involve having to go through and flag all the wearable objects.

Quote from: "Delirium"Ideas stolen directly from my skull

I, too, would like to see such things added.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

If you want a tattoo or scar on your character in an odd location

Delirium wrote:
left hand
right hand
left arm
right arm
left forearm
right forearm
left leg
right leg

In my opinion all of this could just as easily be done in your long description. Almost all of my characters have had something like a tat or scar in their ldesc (anywhere from ab elaborate, blue-inked tattoo of swirling winds progressing from his forearm to the back of his wrist to a simple crescent shaped marking his abdomen. If its something that your character would not have before creation and you are getting it during playtime, a house ink, whatever and you would like to place it in one of these locations then RP getting the tat, drop a note to the MUD requesting suchandsuch added to your ldesc. Find a way to junk the amount of sid you would have payed the artist for his work, or better yet, simply give the artist the coins for it.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

If I ever see, approved, main descriptions that include scars and tattooes on abdomens, I swear my next character will have in her main desc a full 2-line description of her nipples and vulva.

JUST SAY NO TO NORMALLY-COVERED BODYPARTS IN MAIN DESCS!

Quote from: "Bestatte"my next character will have in her main desc a full 2-line description of her nipples and vulva.

Hey I'll all for you putting in nipples and vulva in the mdesc  :twisted:

But Someone could have a tattoo on their face or hands, or some other part that they normally do not cover...
Vettrock

QuoteIf I ever see, approved, main descriptions that include scars and tattooes on abdomens, I swear my next character will have in her main desc a full 2-line description of her nipples and vulva.
I disagree with this POV.  If we're going to get anal about whether we can or can't see a tattoo described in the main desc, we might as well get anal about the hair color, texture, skin color, eyes, moles, scars, mouth shape, etc, etc.  They all can be covered up with clothings of varying fashion.  We might as well just submit this description, "the obscure blob of a figure that is five cords tall and is skinny.  The figure seems to be feminine/masculine with lumps in certain locations."   :?

Extreme, yes, but this reaction (see quote above) is extreme, and in my eyes, an overreaction to a trivial detail.  We players are bright enough to know when to, and to not ignore features of other characters.  This includes tattoos in obscure, unseen locations.
A Pensive Player

The point is to not have to add 2 more lines to your main description per tattoo.. what if you want to have all sorts of unique tattoos on your character's body, but want to be able to cover them up when the time comes? It'd sure be nice to be able to have a caste tattoo on one hand and another completely different tattoo on the other, for example.

I was pretty damned specific in my presentation, and if you had included the entirety of it you would have seen so for yourself:

Normally-covered. Things that people will usually NOT see, because those parts are usually covered. Usually. Not always, not once in a blue moon. Usually. People usually wear some sort of body cover on their torso, ass, legs, and feet. People don't -usually- cover their face, as a rule. People don't -usually- cover their hands, as a rule. Sometimes they do, sometimes not. My opinion does not extend to those parts of the body that are -usually- exposed. That's why I specified "NORMALLY-COVERED."  I tend to write things for a reason. I appreciate it when they are read and considered in the manner for which they are intended.

Ah man, and I was so looking forward to seeing:

the pointly-nippled woman with exposed vulva has arrived from the east.
Vettrock

we should start a nudist tribe. And then we can include tats on all sorts of body parts in our mdesc.

yay.

Just wait until a half-giant stumbles upon your tribe.

The bestial, hairy half-giant gazes carefully at the throngs of naked people, his beetling brow furrowed.

The bestial, hairy half-giant removes a pair of tattered sandals.

The bestial, hairy half-giant removes a pair of studded pants.

flee self

YOU ARE BLIND
Back from a long retirement