The true value of sid

Started by Mexie, May 02, 2004, 02:44:17 PM

Something I've been having trouble comprehending since I've started playing this game is the actual value and purpose of obsidian coins.  I guess the best way to phrase my concerns is in the form of a few questions.  So answer them as you can.

1. Why are these coins valueable?  I know that raw obsidian on it's own is worth something, but what about the tiny little obsidian coins?  Can they somehow be smelted into a larger mass of obsidian?

2. My next question is dependant on the assumption that obsidian can't be smelted.  So if it can, disregard this question.  If obsidian can't be smelted, then it must be that the coinage represents and involves the exchange of physical labour and favors, much as it does in the real world.  In this case, why waste obsidian to make coins?  Why not issue something of little value that's in great abundance (if it is in great abundance... i'm just making an example here) such as ceramic pieces (specially marked, of course, by the templarate, so no ordinary joe can just smash a bunch of pots and buy a slave with the shards), or maybe something small that's of value and in great demand (like obsidian arrowheads, if they are in demand.)?
Shovels a dozen gnomes into the furnace*

Too IC to answer.

It might seem like a cop out, but it deals with some behind the scenes activities.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

why did they used to make coins in the real world from gold and silver instead of marked stone? Why did we have the gold standard in america up to a certain point?

Because they wanted to do a little of both. Use something that had some worth to it intrinsically, but also not have the worth come soley from the material.

Of course, now, the only thing that holds dollars together is american governmental stability. Muk Utep might have been around awhile, but I'd rather have some sids than a frikken bag of sand that says, "In Muk Utep we trust."

Heheh. Ok, I get it. Good point  :P .
Shovels a dozen gnomes into the furnace*

Well, during a large war if the resources became low enough for either of the armies. I could very easily see the templarate taking up a quantity of obsidian coins from the economy and smelting them down into weapons.

BTW - I have a bellybutton
note to self: I should sleep more
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Obsidian can be smelted?!

Quote from: "CRW"Obsidian can be smelted?!

We're bordering into IC territory here.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Ok.  In real-life can obsidian be smelted?  And is Zalanthan obsidian identical in most ways to real-life obsidian?

In real life, obsidian can NOT be smelted.  That is not to say that it can not, by some twist of physics, in Zalanthas.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

In real life:
Obsidian can be melted.

It is volcanic glass.

It may take extremely hot temperatures.

If it can be melted it may be able to be smelted, I don't know. Its probably very fragile.

Okay, let me correct myself...it can be melted, but requires ridiculous temperatures and will not even be obsidian if not cooled properly (read as VERY quickly so that crystals do not have time to form).  On Earth they do not do this as the amount of energy required does not justify the outcome.  I have a feeling that since the people of Zalanthas would require an even more ridiculous amount of energy to produce these effect probably make it nigh impossible.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.