Zalanthan Sport Ideas

Started by Chronicle, April 23, 2004, 01:04:17 AM

While reading a post from Ralin spoofing Golf in Zalanthas, I began to wonder.. Could golf or krokrae (excuse the spelling) a ideal game that the Nobilitly or Templarate might play on occasion?

Nope. Neither exist in any form, conceptual or otherwise. The winds would be the biggest hinderance in this ever even being considered.

A good set of irons would be a little pricey too. :wink:

FWIW, there's a thread on sports here too.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Like Gilvar said, most wind-based/reliant sports will probably be either unpopular and downright lousy, or simply impossible.  No frisbees.

However, sports like running, climbing, wrestling, as well as forms of fighting (fighting especially in the North, where it is considered an art) could all be popular.  No swimming though. ;)
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

It is spelled 'croquet,' just for future reference.

As far as that pastime is concerned (I will not call it a sport as I do not call bowling or golf a sport, the debate on that subject can wait for another time though), I do not see why it couldn't be done...but most people have other things to do than smack a silly ball around.  Most sports develop from other things more martial in nature...croquet, being a game based on a sport, would require that particular sport (polo) to be developed first, but I don't see that coming any time soon since mounted combat, which polo is based from, is not a big thing on Zalanthas.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Games such as lawn darts, botchy ball, Basketball/HORSE, dancing, tag, crack the whip, marbles, tiddlywinks, horseshoes, tetherball, rugby, all sorts of track and field events, hopscotch, square dancing, soccer, a good number of those timber games lumberjacks do, gymnastics, kank races, etc.

There are actually tons of games that could be played, and there are already many games that are already coded.  But, still not many players seem interested in games.  Players simply don't seem interested in giving up time nor sids to play games.  Even though games have been around for centuries, until players get more interested in them; games won't catch on.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Let the half giants curl up the elves into balls, grab huge clubs and play Zalanthan baseball instead?  I am sure weather wont be a big problem
some of my posts are serious stuff

in another mud i played there was "tog-ball."

Gor'Togs were like small half-giants, and they would basically play rugby with far less rules and a pig or a halfling as a ball.

I could see something like that happening in arm, in the arena.

The West Allanaki Half-Giants vs. The Noble House Muls in a game of Elven head ball. :)

I dunno, the sports thing I posted in the Odd Urges was just a goof. My current PC really wouldn't be interested in sports unless it involved beating the crap out of someone/killing them. Just the nature of the beast. I think there should be more Arena games. It happens from time to time, but perhaps it should happen more often. Once an IC month to keep the populace entertained. -shrug-
Surrender!"
"You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept."

Heh!  I remember 'Tog ball!

My halfling killed three Gor'togs who tried to play it with him!  That was great fun!  Its always way more fun, when the 'ball' coats his daggers with 'Soim' recipe poison :-)

Quote from: "Agent_137"in another mud i played there was "tog-ball."

Gor'Togs were like small half-giants, and they would basically play rugby with far less rules and a pig or a halfling as a ball.

I could see something like that happening in arm, in the arena.

lol sounds like an old game I played that was pretty funny...

M.U.D.S Mean Ugly Dirty Sport.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=667 It's currently on the underdogs.com and several other oldgame dling sites.

Man that was a fun game when you got it to stop freezing[/url]
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Anyone think that polo would be found on arm? The Arabians did it I belive once or twice IIRC but it's probably just a myth.

Still...play with a thick club, and a wooden ball while riding your kank.

Don't know about polo, but croquet could easily be done. Croquet can be documented as being played as far back as the middle ages. Back when metal was expensive, and a lot of things were made out of wood. Like... croquet balls, mallets, and wickets. A friend of mine who is into all that midieval stuff actually made a croquet set, based on what he was able to find about how it was played in the 1500-1600's. It's very nice.

The problem would be finding a place to play where you had enough space, and few enough people. "HEY ELF! COME BACK WITH MY BALL, YOU BASTAGE! I WAS WINNING!" You get the idea.  :wink:

Gurth-ball. Definately.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Hello......we have gladiators....
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "uberjazz"Hello......we have gladiators....
And there in lies the problem.  We can come up with a million different sports and games for Armageddon all we want, but OOCly no one is really dedicated enough to operating or participating in them.  Very few people use the betting tables, cards, dice, darts, and games we have now.  Why? Because I think OOCly people still like to save money in game.  This is the same reason paying extra for indepenant merchant items and bards arn't what most PCs do.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Polo actually originated in Persia where training Horseriders was a tedious process. So, the game became a way that horseriders could use their skill while not in a battle, and for newer people to get better at mounted combat. They played in outdoor areas: canyons, flatlands, sandy wastes, red desert, where ever there was an open space.

Polo would be excellent seeing as how Zalanthas rarely ever has wars, so the people don't actually get into mounted combat all that often. After a while of not doing a thing you tend to forget how to do it...

Quote from: "My 2 sids"botchy ball,

bocce. It's italian.

http://www.centralconnector.com/GAMES/bocce.html

and it's also ONE Biscotto and TWO biscotti! not a boscotti!