Charge Skill

Started by Twilight, March 16, 2004, 11:34:10 AM

QuoteAs far as axes and piercing weapons, they do have advantages and disadvantages. Some armor protects against chopping, some protects against piercing. If I were to fight against an army of axe wielders, you better believe my armor would change to void the power of their weapon as much as possible. Armageddon does in fact take into consideration your armor type and the weapon it is facing.

You say you would change your armor to void the power of the weapon?
There is nothing you can really do about it, as it has its own disadvantage and advantage relative to other weapons, I cant really post the details, but you couldnt really change void the damage it might inflict.  There are certain types of classes that the axe is technically less effective against, but you couldnt just change your armor and make a big difference.
It wouldnt be hard to do that, since almost all big weapons weigh a lot, and hit hard, but slow, they could just change it so weapons that hit hard are more effective against someone who is mounted.

And there might be hundreds of different weapon types in the game, but there are only a couple dozen different types of pikes/polearms/bardiche's, and it would be too hard to make it so if one of those is used, that user gets a bonus against someone who is mounted.
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

I grow weary of this thread . . .best of luck with it, everyone.

QuoteThats because there is no reason to be mounted, as if you are mounted due to the penalties almost any master rider will get (with the exception of a ranger and half-elf) you will more likely die, and do less damage on your way down.

No, you didn't read the post close enough.  It is under-represented in every major conflict I've seen.  (Apparently, ERS has seen it in conflicts, but I've had front row seats in most recently and seen nothing.)  Not because of coded disadvantages, either.  There were very -simple- ways to get around the coded disadvantages for these major conflicts, but it wasn't done.

It insinuates that mounted combat is -not- as common as the documents state, which is the only defense, thusfar, that I feel has any real relavance to whether or not it should be in.  Still for my previously stated reasons, which I haven't heard anything really to sway me away from.

*rears back, charges forward, and butts his head into K4Free's. * :P
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

So maybe I'm getting into this thread a little late, but still. I don't need to see mounted combat being advantageous, or getting bonuses in combat or anything. I'd just like fewer penalties when you're good at it, so it actually becomes plausible.

Define "When you're good at it."

You realize that being able to ride without your kank refusing to move is not 'being good', right?

Getting a mount to move is simple.  Getting it to obey each and every command you want it to is harder.  Being able to keep control of yourself while it does maneuvers is yet even harder.  And fighting from it's back it even harder.  So on and so forth.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Sunbacks are adequate for mounted combat. Plus, if you desire to become proficient at mounted combat, select ranger as your class - you'll receive numerous perks in terms of mounted combat. In addition, I believe being mounted is not a requirement for the skill 'charge.' Albeit, this could have changed.

QuoteSunbacks are adequate for mounted combat. Plus, if you desire to become proficient at mounted combat, select ranger as your class - you'll receive numerous perks in terms of mounted combat. In addition, I believe being mounted is not a requirement for the skill 'charge.' Albeit, this could have changed.

There actually sunbacks are worse then kanks for mounted combat, ideally the inix is the best (read the charge skill help file).
There is no perk in terms of mounted combat, other then eventually you can hold weapons (and of course get charge).

There -are- perks beyond those of which you speak for mounted combat; and sunbacks -are- 'hypothetically' better suited for mounted combat than any other mount (with the exception of horses and flying mounts). Do you know why? Because they are more agile, they possess finesse, and thus compare to horses in their maneuvering ability. What you refer to as 'being worse' does not qualify as an asset of mounted combat.

I mean codely worse, as the only perk that affects combat that mounts alone can offer, is charge, and the larger the animal the more effective charge is, hence making a kank again, one of the best animals in yet another catagory :/

Kanks really need to be toned down :/

Kill4free, please don't post about which mount being worst (or best) codely.
Icly, charge works better with the bigger mount. Obviously.
Just like the stronger type of humanoid is better suited to bashing and what not.
Mounted combat usually works with the smarter type of mount that can help (Or atleast not give their rider the disadvantage) more.
Sunbacks, from the helpfiles, seem to me to be the smartest of the everday mounts. Though maybe not codely, icly, is a different matter.
Worrying about code in a RPI game is not what you should be doing.
Given, Most of us do for playability.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Armaddict"Define "When you're good at it."

You realize that being able to ride without your kank refusing to move is not 'being good', right?

Getting a mount to move is simple.  Getting it to obey each and every command you want it to is harder.  Being able to keep control of yourself while it does maneuvers is yet even harder.  And fighting from it's back it even harder.  So on and so forth.

You can do more than fight/charge/make it move??

*smacks his forehead*

I didn't know this..
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

As previously noted, charge is NOT the only perk of mounted combat. The previous poster was correct: you should not rely solely on the code when choosing a mount for combat (or any other reason for that matter). As for intelligence, the sunback is not the most intelligent mount on Zalanthas. Nonetheless, I find it best suited for mounted combat. In fact, read ldesc of a sunback - it states just that.

QuoteYou can do more than fight/charge/make it move??

Those may or may not be the code limitation; nonetheless, 'emote' allows the player to achieve a greater level of reality and interaction with a mount and the surrounding environment. However, considerations must be taken when utilizing 'emote' to display proficiency.

Eh, knew about emote, but wasn't sure if the code allowed other mounting commands, if so, why aren't they in a help file?
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: "Armaddict"Define "When you're good at it."

Personally, when I can get through a combat without having my mount bucking me off is when I consider myself good at it.  Getting to the end of the fight and I'm still up on my kank rather than sitting in the dust rubbing my ass, that is sweet.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"rubbing my ass, that is sweet.
AC

Yeah, you know it!

Quote from: "Kill4Free"I mean codely worse, as the only perk that affects combat that mounts alone can offer, is charge, and the larger the animal the more effective charge is, hence making a kank again, one of the best animals in yet another catagory :/

I would strongly advise you to stop making assumptions you know little to nothing about when referring to code, because the staff will come down hard on you.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Tamarin"
Quote from: "Kill4Free"I mean codely worse, as the only perk that affects combat that mounts alone can offer, is charge, and the larger the animal the more effective charge is, hence making a kank again, one of the best animals in yet another catagory :/

I would strongly advise you to stop making assumptions you know little to nothing about when referring to code, because the staff will come down hard on you.

Not to mention that there are mounts readily available that are larger than kanks.

QuoteNot to mention that there are mounts readily available that are larger than kanks.

Obviously, do you think I am blind, I said the best all round, there are very few mounts larger then a kank, most are smaller, but the larger mounts have fairly large disadvantages compared to the overall advantages of a kank.

Kill4free, I'm bored of your assumptions...

1. All ceatures have main descs... Read them to decide if they look like mounts suited for war. Kank isn't the cleverest, the most agile, the largest etc. I don't want to reviece unwanted information like this...

Quote...but the larger mounts have fairly large disadvantages compared to the overall advantages of a kank.
Quote...ideally the inix is the best (read the charge skill help file).

Which one you said's right?

2. You are blind.

3. Yes I'm flaming because I'm really bored of you.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]