Mantis Head

Started by Ghost, January 26, 2004, 07:45:35 PM

I wonder, whether mantis head is IC or OOC.  I mean is there really a term for death, as "seeing the mantis head" or is it all OOCly seeing the welcome to Armageddon and the stuff?
some of my posts are serious stuff

AFAIK, it's all OOC. However some tribes could possibly use it as a saying ;)

It is TOTALLY an OOC statement.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I just told someone in game I'm going to mantis head them but good.

Does that make me a twink, or a bad RPer?

You're a twnk, CRW.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Well, I think of it like this.

We are essentially the avatars of all these little people who inhabit zalanthas.  Its us who decide what they believe, and what they don't.  If we decide that "seeing a mantis head" means you died, then that's a nice little superstition that exists for no particular reason, much like many of today's myths and religious beliefs.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "CRW"I just told someone in game I'm going to mantis head them but good.

Does that make me a twink, or a bad RPer?

Mudsexer.

Anyway, the Mantis head thing is OOC.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I always thought that it was an OOC thing that went IC...

Like a myth or the grim reaper.. I mean OOC you do see.. the lovely scrolling mantis head.. but I always thought that it would be ok in game to say something like..

Yeah, for a second there I thought I was going get paid a visit by the mantis head, still can't belive I made it out alive..

But clearly that's incorrect..
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "sarahjc"I always thought that it was an OOC thing that went IC...

Like a myth or the grim reaper.. I mean OOC you do see.. the lovely scrolling mantis head.. but I always thought that it would be ok in game to say something like..

Yeah, for a second there I thought I was going get paid a visit by the mantis head, still can't belive I made it out alive..

But clearly that's incorrect..

I agree with you, and I'm going to start using it in game.  I mean...how do we know that we aren't all pfiles on some intergalactic network computer, being altered daily by overlords who enjoy romping around on the fictional planet Earth?

I'd personally prefer if 'mantis head' stayed OOC. I mean really, I could see someone saying something like, "My life flashed before my eyes as quick as a mantis after it's dinner," but using just 'mantis head' conjures up images of this floating head coming after you...at least as far as Zalanthas goes. I'd much rather see someone invent an original concept of the spectre of death, otherwise it's just a jarring OOC reference.
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

Quote from: "uberjazz"I agree with you, and I'm going to start using it in game.

No, you won't.

It is an OOC reference and should stay an OOC reference.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Quote from: "SykotikGith"using just 'mantis head' conjures up images of this floating head coming after you...at least as far as Zalanthas goes. I'd much rather see someone invent an original concept of the spectre of death, otherwise it's just a jarring OOC reference.

See I always thought that of it in the sense that the last face you see is that of a black mantis.

Back in the day when mantis weren't killing everything in site and stayed in the valley, I thought it was a cool old wives tale. Like if children are bad, the mantis will creep out from under the bed and eat them. Leaving their last thought as -seeing the mantis head-. Plus I think it also is instilled by the fear of permadeath.. becuase we all know what happens when we see the Mantis head, which is by all account a great fear of our own, thus attaching it moreso to the fear of our PC's not wanting to die as well.

So all and all I always thought it was a cool reference.

Quote from: "Callisto"uberjazz wrote:
I agree with you, and I'm going to start using it in game.

No, you won't.

It is an OOC reference and should stay an OOC reference..

Isn't that a bit harsh, I think if it has a good story behind it, why not use it..

I don't really see the big deal. It's just a funny OOC reference, that has the potential to take root in IC folk tales, and if talked about in right context can add some flavor.. Does anyone really see a Mantis head when they die? Who knows, nobodys ever come back to tell about it... :D

Edit..

Oh and Uberjazz, Callisto also now orders you to dress in drag all the time.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "sarahjc"
Quote from: "Callisto"uberjazz wrote:
I agree with you, and I'm going to start using it in game.

No, you won't.

It is an OOC reference and should stay an OOC reference..

Isn't that a bit harsh, I think if it has a good story behind it, why not use it..

I don't really see the big deal. It's just a funny OOC reference, that has the potential to take root in IC folk tales, and if talked about in right context can add some flavor.. Does anyone really see a Mantis head when they die? Who knows, nobodys ever come back to tell about it... :D

Edit..

Oh and Uberjazz, Callisto also now orders you to dress in drag all the time.

Too late.  I've already been to rocky horror.

Quote from: "sarahjc"Does anyone really see a Mantis head when they die? Who knows, nobodys ever come back to tell about it... :D

I move that until the Imm implement reincarnation that those who wish to believe in the all powerful Mantis head IC do so, because no-one IC can refute it!

muhahahaha Callisto.....
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I think that concidering there was a massive mantis invasion of Luir's....recently....it wouldn't be unreasonable for a lot of people to be afraid of mantises.  Thus, seeing a mantis head could signify the fear living inside of a -lot- of people of being devoured by a mantis.  I can't see anyone disagreeing with me on this.  Undoubtedly someone will.

Quote from: "uberjazz"I think that concidering there was a massive mantis invasion of Luir's....recently....it wouldn't be unreasonable for a lot of people to be afraid of mantises.  Thus, seeing a mantis head could signify the fear living inside of a -lot- of people of being devoured by a mantis.  I can't see anyone disagreeing with me on this.  Undoubtedly someone will.

Callisto just did, and I haven't cared for the idea from the start.

There's a lot more to be afraid of in the known world than a simple mantis. Magickers, for example.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Please let people find out IC information IC, even if you think it's common knowledge.    (Of course, if it is officially common knowledge at this point, nevermind.    But I see a lot of threads where people mention magick spells (for example) because it seems they think everyone knows about them.  In fact, basically everything I know about magick is from people talking about specific magick effects on this board.  It's fucking annoying.)
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

IMO, anything in the docs is fair game

Returning to the subject.   I wish it would never enter the game.  It's like saying, 'So, how about those bears?' in reference to some awkward situation that just happened.

Quote from: "John"IMO, anything in the docs is fair game

Where is it in the docs?
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Baleeted.

Quote from: "flurry"Where is it in the docs?
Assuming we're still talking about the mantis's (manti?) in Luir's, it's right here :)

Since everything in the documents is fair game to you, John, I suppose your characters know about Ptarken as well.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

The menu is an inherently non-game related mechanism.  Talking about the mantis head would be near as appropriate as saying you are gonna go 'log out for the night' ICly.

> say Yeah, I don't think Templar Joe has connected yet.

If anyone ever uses 'mantis head' in an IC context to refer to dying, I reserve the right to send them to a fiery, painful death.

That is all.