A Suggestion That Probably Only I Want (Plant Names)

Started by Kavrick, August 08, 2024, 07:40:39 AM

So plants. I love plants. Fruits, herbs, berries, veg. Maybe I'm a weirdo but also IRL I enjoy walking through parks and forests for the same reason and I realized one little issue in Armageddon. It's /incredibly/ hard to cross reference the help files with plants to figure out what is what, this is made worse by the fact that not all plants have help files. So I just think one simple thing would be cool - Characters with advanced or higher forage have the proper name of a plant come up when they assess either the plant, or a herb/fruit/berry/nut belonging to the plant.

This is mostly flavor, but I think it'd make sense and would be cool. Someone who's familiar with foraging and stuff like that irl can identify plants (along with what's edible of course). I really do appreciate all the effort that's put into plants and their descriptions even though most players might overlook the interesting diversity Zalanthas actually has with plants. All the new plants Usiku has added to the grey forest are unironically one of the reasons I play this game. Finding a plant I've never seen before is one of the things that drives me to my many character deaths.

Sadly I dunno how much work this would be, whether it's just a tag that can be set to pop up in assess or if not all plants actually have a true name tied to them codedly. I doubt any staffers wants to go through and set every single plant, because there's a lot.
I make up for the tiny in-game character limit by writing walls of text here.

I guess the issue with this is that not all of the plants actually have universal common names. Some do. Some are called something by one tribe and something else by people in Allanak. Some have a bunch of different names. Some have never been given a name and so on.

With that in mind, if you find a plant you think is rare, new, unseen and you introduce it to other people and get them using a name for that plant that you came up with, do let us know and we can add a keyword. :)

Quote from: Kavrick on August 08, 2024, 07:40:39 AMSo plants. I love plants. Fruits, herbs, berries, veg. Maybe I'm a weirdo but also IRL I enjoy walking through parks and forests for the same reason and I realized one little issue in Armageddon. It's /incredibly/ hard to cross reference the help files with plants to figure out what is what, this is made worse by the fact that not all plants have help files. So I just think one simple thing would be cool - Characters with advanced or higher forage have the proper name of a plant come up when they assess either the plant, or a herb/fruit/berry/nut belonging to the plant.

This is mostly flavor, but I think it'd make sense and would be cool. Someone who's familiar with foraging and stuff like that irl can identify plants (along with what's edible of course). I really do appreciate all the effort that's put into plants and their descriptions even though most players might overlook the interesting diversity Zalanthas actually has with plants. All the new plants Usiku has added to the grey forest are unironically one of the reasons I play this game. Finding a plant I've never seen before is one of the things that drives me to my many character deaths.

I like this idea a lot because it would greatly enhance a master brewer RP by walking potential students through the paces, showing them the ropes and the RP can lead to teaching and good ol fun.

There use to be a big two or three page lists on the old website that I think existed before they were all/most given their own helpfiles that was very handy.  Someone posted a wayback machine snapshot a week or two ago on discord or the GDB.  I think recreating something like that might be useful. If someone wants to find it again, I would be willing to work something up and propose an addition to the website. And like Usiku said, if there's something that isn't there, we can certainly work with an interested player to correct that. :)

August 21, 2024, 01:00:57 PM #4 Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 03:14:04 PM by Agent_137
Quote from: Markku on August 21, 2024, 09:00:52 AMThere use to be a big two or three page lists on the old website that I think existed before they were all/most given their own helpfiles that was very handy.  Someone posted a wayback machine snapshot a week or two ago on discord or the GDB.  I think recreating something like that might be useful. If someone wants to find it again, I would be willing to work something up and propose an addition to the website. And like Usiku said, if there's something that isn't there, we can certainly work with an interested player to correct that. :)

I've had this book marked for a few years  https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Herbs

Some herbs in game don't have their name as a keyword. That's an easy staff fix.  I'd just put in a request with a batch or typo as I go.  Others maybe don't because their name is two words and you don't want to keyword Templars heart with Templar.  That's also easy fix but requires some thought.  Same fix tho.

Regarding OP suggestion... eh I like them not having an IC official name.  But I do want them all to be keyworded for easy reference, and help files for each would be lovely.

Oh hey! There it is!

And me personally, as someone who likes fixing things like this, I would rather a player who is interested in this improvement spend some time, and work up a nice sized list for one request.