Skinned things should decay

Started by Pariah, November 06, 2023, 02:57:32 PM

I've had characters from two years ago that sold X GMH # Y hides and they are still sitting there in their stockpile to this day.

Food decays, foraged food decays.  But that lizard skin or worm skin doesn't?  Wut?

This game will always have a balance of people who like to play hunters (Me) and people who like to play crafters (not-me) and sometimes it gets to the point where there is no needs for hunters because they are sitting on these never ending immortal mounds of hides and shit.

I think it should be maybe five times what meat takes to spoil and decay, but hides and such should decay, requiring more active hunters to be hunting ala carte and not just merchants sitting on mounds of shit.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Treated leather actually doesn't really decay, not at a rate that's really trackable unless it's like 100 years or something. Would be better if every so-and-so months, stock gets sold/transferred/whatever virtual reason you want and cleared out. Because clans 100% have the issue of having unironically 800+ items in their store-room.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

Quote from: Kavrick on November 06, 2023, 03:21:20 PMTreated leather actually doesn't really decay, not at a rate that's really trackable unless it's like 100 years or something. Would be better if every so-and-so months, stock gets sold/transferred/whatever virtual reason you want and cleared out. Because clans 100% have the issue of having unironically 800+ items in their store-room.
I can get behind that idea too.  Just as a gameplay mechanic they shouldn't be able to hoard shit for years.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on November 06, 2023, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: Kavrick on November 06, 2023, 03:21:20 PMTreated leather actually doesn't really decay, not at a rate that's really trackable unless it's like 100 years or something. Would be better if every so-and-so months, stock gets sold/transferred/whatever virtual reason you want and cleared out. Because clans 100% have the issue of having unironically 800+ items in their store-room.
I can get behind that idea too.  Just as a gameplay mechanic they shouldn't be able to hoard shit for years.

Yeah, even tribes and stuff have this issue. I remember playing a clan with 3 months between playing it, and all the items are untouched like there's no virtual population that should be using up the stuff.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

I mean don't get me wrong, I end up FILTHY rich on every hunter that makes it past the spider stage, BUT I do put in a shitload of work networking and reaching out to lazy GMH merchants etc.  So it's a lot of effort to sell bags of shit to them, even more so when they know they have 50 hides sitting in a warehouse.

Would you like to buy some chalton horns?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 06, 2023, 03:33:02 PMWould you like to buy some chalton horns?
LMAO, the most worthless, but plentiful thing in the world!

Please no on that.

I am having a hard enough time mustering enthusiasm for this game as the continuous add ons of 'everything must decay now because nobody knows how to junk shit or not hoard' turns playing in a tribal camp that's not loaded with active pcs becomes impossible if you're not a combat pc because they were not built to support that (gmhs all have food, but all these human tribes that raise animals you have to either buy food and bring it in, buy food not barter for it - Arabet I'm looking at you - or again no food at all - Vru'Rihali - funny as they're supposed to be herding chalton but no chalton meat in the camp thanks decay code and no npc there who even /sells/ food which the Arabet at least have). I don't want to see the problem exacerbated further.

Honestly, my time as a GMH crafter was eye opening. Once you grind through all your crafting skills, you're at the point where you either:

Make items nobody wants but maybe can slip you some extra coin
or
Make items per request from people that always need that strip of quirri hide you JUST used on another shield.

So you end up with 12 mutant white mek hides but nobody wants mek-leather armor... and then Pariah comes around wanting to sell you 4 more that took him like 3 weeks to hunt and manage. But I don't want them, because I have a dozen.

Suffice it to say? Kill more PCs and junk their armor.

November 06, 2023, 03:46:11 PM #9 Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 04:06:04 PM by Pariah
Quote from: dumbstruck on November 06, 2023, 03:36:39 PMPlease no on that.

I am having a hard enough time mustering enthusiasm for this game as the continuous add ons of 'everything must decay now because nobody knows how to junk shit or not hoard' turns playing in a tribal camp that's not loaded with active pcs becomes impossible if you're not a combat pc because they were not built to support that (gmhs all have food, but all these human tribes that raise animals you have to either buy food and bring it in, buy food not barter for it - Arabet I'm looking at you - or again no food at all - Vru'Rihali - funny as they're supposed to be herding chalton but no chalton meat in the camp thanks decay code and no npc there who even /sells/ food which the Arabet at least have). I don't want to see the problem exacerbated further.

I mean maybe Staff should just do the DELETE EVERYTHING IN THIS ROOM command when a new merchant comes into play as a sponsored role and let them build up their own shit?

I've had hunter #52 that worked for Salarr, stocked up 100 of some skin because the merchant/crafters at the time had a hardon for it.  They died, I died, someone died.  Came back with hunter #70 two RL years later to find the same stash in the chest from my previous homeboy.

I tried to set up an inventory system of like "once we're at 12 chalton horns, order 6 more" and it still never worked out quite right because a GMH should almost always be buying, even if its at a shit rate, for their shit recruit crafters.

Unfortunately, House Crafter is not a very sought after or attractive position. Once you don't have recruits anymore, the amount of basic and even intermediate items dwindles.

This has been exacerbated by the fact that you can analyze (don't take it away) and know exactly what items you need. So you don't need "a bunch of random exotic hides to play and test with". You need "very specifically that one specific kind of horror shell"

It feels like there should be more materials sinks in the game. So rather than have things decay, make it so you can donate X to receive Y perk for a period of time

I'd rather there be some incentives for clan leaders to remove items.
Definately don't randomly delete items, as maybe those 20 dyestones? They are for Lord fancypants' order of 40 silken braies. Talk to the leader first, or things might get deleted that should not be.
If it's rewarded to "Trade to virtual crews", it would be done more often, methinks.
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on November 06, 2023, 06:17:50 PMIt feels like there should be more materials sinks in the game. So rather than have things decay, make it so you can donate X to receive Y perk for a period of time

I also like this.

I know Tuluk has some material sink NPCs.  Perhaps it could be expanded to include more types.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one