Upcoming Change to Armor Repair

Started by Halaster, May 30, 2023, 12:10:42 PM

On the next release, Armor Repair will be updated to be the opposite of what it is now.  Anyone (with the skill) will be able to repair slightly damaged armor.  It will take high skill to repair heavily damaged armor.  This should result it making it a lot easier to raise the skill.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

So as it stands now, I fail to repair that slightly damaged shield, and it gets more damaged. Eventually it gets so wrecked that I 'don't have the skill to repair that'.

Are you saying that at a certain damage point, I can't try and repair that shield again, unless I have higher skill? Because thats how it kind of works now, and I don't see how that makes it 'easier' to raise the skill, as it means if I mess up on that smelly gith cuirass, now I have nothing else to try and repair.

What am I missing?

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on May 30, 2023, 12:27:41 PM
So as it stands now, I fail to repair that slightly damaged shield, and it gets more damaged. Eventually it gets so wrecked that I 'don't have the skill to repair that'.

Are you saying that at a certain damage point, I can't try and repair that shield again, unless I have higher skill? Because thats how it kind of works now, and I don't see how that makes it 'easier' to raise the skill, as it means if I mess up on that smelly gith cuirass, now I have nothing else to try and repair.

What am I missing?

Currently if you have novice shield repair, you need to find the most-destroyed pieces of armor to even attempt the skill. Afaik the 'use gith eq' to raise armor repair was removed, making it nearly impossible to find enough heavily damaged armor to repair anything and raise the skill. This flips it so that if you are low skill, you can only repair the least-damaged armors, and the most-destroyed pieces of armor are the hardest to repair.

Now low skill can fix that missing button or scuff, but you need to be better at armor repair to fix more damaged armors. There should be more lightly-damaged armors than heavily-damaged in the world is the working assumption here, I believe.

Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Let's get some made-up values here to better understand it.

Helmet has a 'durability' of 10.  When it hits 0 it is completely destroyed.
If your skill is low, you can attempt to repair when the helmet has a very low durability, let's say 3 or lower.
To increase your skill, your character:
a) needs to find a piece of armor that is damaged
b) that is damaged SO MUCH that it is almost destroyed

The suggested change will be that if your skill is low, you can attempt to repair the helmet when the durability is higher, but if it is too damaged you cannot.  Let's say 7 or higher.
To increase your skill, your character:
a) needs to find a piece of armor that is damaged
b) that is damaged LIGHTLY.

Now, the current issue from this skill is the acquiring of heavily damaged items.   It's currently very hard to find armor that is extremely damaged that you can even attempt the repair when your skill is low.  The change in the system is that you should be able to acquire lightly damaged items more easily.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Ah, I see. What Halaster says about "making it backwards" makes sense now, thank you!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

So I won't have to try to repair a broken piece of armor with a mace and a shield in either hand now.  YAY!!

MUCH More Sensible!!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote from: Halaster on May 30, 2023, 12:10:42 PM
On the next release, Armor Repair will be updated to be the opposite of what it is now.  Anyone (with the skill) will be able to repair slightly damaged armor.  It will take high skill to repair heavily damaged armor.  This should result it making it a lot easier to raise the skill.

Given that this is how it works just about everywhere else I've played with coded armor repair, including RPGs with graphics, I'm astonished this survived as long as it did. Bravo.