Perceived Missing Crafts / Craft Ideas

Started by Pariah, January 11, 2023, 09:55:25 AM

I know that mastercrafting is a limited endeavor based on time and skill etc.

But what about things that appear to be missing from regular bread and butter crafts?

Is there an avenue where I could be like, could we add X and Y to Z craft?

Or would that be a send in a request type situation?

I'm talking things of consistency were say, bone beads will further craft into necklaces or bracelets, but stone beads are just a handful of marbles essentially with no further use.  That type of stuff.

"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Nomenclature is at fault here.

We do not have "master crafting" objects, we have "custom crafted objects".

Not every submitted new recipe needs to be a master level ruby-hilted throwing batarang.

If there are bread and butter recipes missing, nothing says your Master Toolmaker cannot fill out a few 'below average quality' bake pans.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

In a volunteer organization with a relatively flat hierarchy, ideas such as this tend to take up speed based on the enthusiasm of the individual staff members on the particular project.
The staff would ask for help in this forum: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/board,55.0.html

One of the major issues with the crafting system as currently built is that there isn't really a "category" of items.  When you want to craft an object, you need to specify the item# of the raw source materials, rather than specifying "small rock" or "large wood" or "feather" object.

So, when you want to craft a crossbow bolt, you need to specify a large recipe list, rather than a category:
obsidian piece (item #4445)
shaft (item #4446)
blue feather  (item #5401)
---
shaft (item #4446)
red feather  (item #5402)
---
shaft (item #4446)
yellow feather  (item #5403)
---
shaft (item #4446)
black feather  (item #5404)

The crafting system doesn't have a "feather" category, so you need to create additional recipes for every feather type in the game.  This can compound exponentially as new objects get created.

To summarize:
It's a lot of tedious and manual work to create additional craft recipes for an object
The staff in the organization typically do what they find interesting and fun
The system isn't designed to use categories of objects, but specific object #'s.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Couldn't the busywork of it be farmed out to the reporting player?

Hey you want your granite beads to be craftable to X and Y.

Fill out all these various datapoints/descriptions and submit it to us.

Then all the staff needs to do is proof it.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on January 11, 2023, 10:58:31 AM

We need to proof it, and then implement it.  Proofing often comes with rewrites, edits, fixing typos, changing formats, saying "sorry you can't have this but what about that instead?" and on occasion "absolutely not."   I can tell you in my few years of staffing, I have never come across a single master-crafted item that needed zero editing, and was able to just plug into the game and make it happen.  Ever. Not even my own.
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

Quote from: Pariah on January 11, 2023, 10:58:31 AM

Without access to the database, or a rewrite on how crafting works, the busy work wouldn't really be about to be outsourced. Is what Mansa is saying.

We as players might see, "a pile of stone beads" but that may actually be multiple different items. Hopefully over time and with the move a database duplicates and stuff like that could be sorted out.

Maybe a tool like the bug tool, but for crafting suggestions might be nice. Using something in game, to get a key, that you can then use in the request tool to flesh it out, or maybe it just creates a request for you that you can add onto. Or perhaps make it all in game with the editor but I hate that.

Step 1:
> craftsuggestion bead 2.bead (this would start the process, tagging in game specific items with the needed item numbers.

Step 2:
Go complete the report with what you want to craft with those items.

There would still need to be the oversite and such Hestia talked about but might help streamline the process of figuring out what "length of leather" the player might be trying to use.
21sters Unite!