Code Tweak Suggestion - Foraging

Started by Pariah, January 07, 2023, 04:54:00 PM

January 07, 2023, 04:54:00 PM Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 05:07:17 PM by Pariah
Alright so anyone who's spent any time foraging stones will probably relate to this...

Quote>Forage Stones
You uncover a quarry of jasper (or whatever it says).
>Forage Stones
You uncover a quarry of jasper
>Forage Stones
You uncover a quarry of jasper

Could it be possible to code the forage code to not have more than one of a deposit pop.

Like an if statement.

If a quarry of jasper is already in the room, reroll forage table?

Why?  Because it's silly to have five huge rock outcroppings in the area or so many it says SOME or MANY are in the room from a day of foraging stone.

This way the code would only pop them if there was a reason or want for it.  Instead of having an unreasonable amount of quarries or deposits just chilling around.

And why would this be good gameplay wise?

Because if I wanted to mine that outcropping of basalt or jasper, I would have mined it, no need for five of them in a room, it's a quality of life improvement.

Plus limits the items that can't be easily junked and take up resources of the game.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Forage

Forage                                                               (Detection)
This skill allows your character to attempt to find things in the area that could be useful.

Currently rocks, stones, wood, branches, salt, food, mushrooms, roots, kindling, spice and artifacts are available arguments. Your chance of finding anything is dependent on the terrain, and your skill at foraging will affect your ability to find rare or especially useful things.

In the future, more things will be available to be foraged.

Categories:

rock(s)|stone(s)
Rocks, gems, and other precious stones

wood
Wood objects, primarily used as raw crafting material

salt
Salts and other minerals

artifact(s)
A variety of old or discarded objects

food
Edible objects, for those who can live off the land

kindling
Firewood and kindling, useful for crafting campfires

spice
Unearth siftable spice deposits

Syntax:

forage <category> [for <keyword>]

Example(s):

>forage rock
You find a white stone and pick it up.

>forage rock for white
You find a white stone and pick it up.

>forage spice
You reveal a patch of silty sand on the ground.

Notes:

What you may be able to find differs according to both your character's skill level and guild. For example, only a select few classes/subclasses can forage for food (see related article links below to find the right ones).

You may not forage for a specific object, only the categories above and an optional single keyword.

Foraging for artifacts is the only way to retrieve items buried using the 'bury' command.

Use "forage stones for diamond" or "forage stones for blue", like the help file says.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

That eliminates the random gem or dye stones from the equation though.

I'm aware if I'm trying to find one particular thing I can use the FOR option.

All I'm saying is we should stop the spawning of mineable objects at one per room.  It doesn't make sense that a huge wall of Jasper is excavated in a room, ten times...
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I would like to be able to >bury deposit (or any other item in the room), but currently you can only bury things in your inventory. I think that would be a good fix to the issue.  You might WANT to uncover several deposits of a thing while other people toil away at breaking them (sifting spice in a group comes to mind).
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 08, 2023, 08:30:44 AM
I would like to be able to >bury deposit (or any other item in the room), but currently you can only bury things in your inventory. I think that would be a good fix to the issue.  You might WANT to uncover several deposits of a thing while other people toil away at breaking them (sifting spice in a group comes to mind).

I like this idea for how to handle it. It seems intuitive.

January 09, 2023, 12:20:19 PM #5 Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:21:56 PM by Pariah
Quotecount quarried.basalt room
There are 11 quarried.basalts in the room.

Fucking...ridiculous...

If I didn't mine the first ten, why do I need 11?

Quote from: Pariah on January 09, 2023, 12:20:19 PM
Quotecount quarried.basalt room
There are 11 quarried.basalts in the room.

Fucking...ridiculous...

If I didn't mine the first ten, why do I need 11?

Maybe a lot of times  you wouldn't also just maybe, you are out there looking for basalt deposits and the miners have yet to show up yet.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: dumbstruck on January 08, 2023, 08:53:50 AM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 08, 2023, 08:30:44 AM

I like this idea for how to handle it. It seems intuitive.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Or if you are looking for quarries/deposits to be able to specify that while foraging. Or perhaps have a '-' modifier you can put at the end, so if you are going to pull up a quarry, you put '-quarry' and it goes 'You don't find anything'.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I like that idea but maybe have it for other types too.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

January 09, 2023, 05:43:46 PM #10 Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 09:48:42 AM by Hestia
If you discover an exploitable oversight in the code, please submit a request and don't advertise it here. This one is now on the list for fixes. - Hestia
You don't see that here.

I do like a lot of the suggestions here, filters to foraging to not trigger deposits, awesome.

Ability to bury deposits, awesome.

Keep up the good work suggesting stuff, and someone tell Halaster he can't fix it, so then maybe he'll be insulted and fix it...

What the 'Forage Stone for Jasper' helps with is the visual disconnect between RL / Graphical Representative Games and a Text Based Only Experience.

If you are looking for a specific rock, you can now look ONLY for that rock, which if you have eyeballs, and if this was a graphical experience, you would do easily.

One would posit, if you were looking for a quarry of anything, you could simply type:

>forage stone for quarry

And that would turn up only deposits/quarries of stone. If you don't specify quarry, then you won't find it except rarely.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

The nice thing about "forage stones" vanilla is that you'll sometimes get jewels or some rarer stones

The downside to forage stones for anything is that it's strictly pass fail.  You either find that obsidian/sandstone/whatever or nothing.  So all those rolls that would have given you a jewel or something nice.

I'd love for an ability to list things I want, or list things I don't want.

> forage rock for jasper or obsidian
> forage rock exclude deposit or diamond

And ability to combine them.

> forage rock for obsidian exclude deposit
21sters Unite!

I've removed a couple of posts that quoted a modified post, because they included text that I removed from the original. Remember if there's a questionable post on the GDB and you feel it's worth reporting, do NOT respond to it in the thread. Thanks!
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right