Adding a Weapon Repair Skill

Started by Barsook, January 03, 2023, 06:46:08 PM

Quote from: Halaster on January 06, 2023, 01:42:33 PM
I don't like the idea of weapon degradation, and I generally don't as a pure chore/negative.  Riev's idea is intriguing, as is the general idea of a short-term bonus as opposed to countering a negative.  You could sharpen a sword/dagger/spear/axe, rewrap a club, etc. and basically get it bumped up a quality notch temporarily, until that wears off.  So it becomes more optional.

This would be the version of a weapon repair skill I could get behind.

Quote from: Halaster on January 06, 2023, 01:42:33 PM
Armaddicts thoughts are very similar to mine in a general attitude.  Some people don't like the new poison/herb system because they view it as a chore, and say it takes them away from RP'ing with others.  To that I say that the opposite can easily be true.  It gives you stuff to do together and you can RP while out doing it.

Earlier I said I don't like the idea of weapon degradation, and I generally don't as a pure chore/negative.  Riev's idea is intriguing, as is the general idea of a short-term bonus as opposed to countering a negative.  You could sharpen a sword/dagger/spear/axe, rewrap a club, etc. and basically get it bumped up a quality notch temporarily, until that wears off.  So it becomes more optional.  I'm not totally sold on that, but I'm open to having my mind changed.

If there is a chance to improve weapon damage, everyone will do it, thus it becomes a chore for any combat character. And if it's a chore it'll just be 'seek out pc and get it done' because everyone is doing it, so not really rp-worthy. And then when people can't find PCs, they'll ask for NPCs they can just pay to do it, because everyone does it and it's the difference between life and death.

I had other stuff written, but then really thought about it. I don't think it would facilitate RP any more than feeding mounts does. It may be roleplayed about from time to time but it would be without code, by those that want to.

However, it could still be a money sink, just have a toggle where it takes 50 sid per IG day for sharpening your weapons +1 damage.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on January 06, 2023, 01:53:59 PM
If there is a chance to improve weapon damage, everyone will do it

Armor repair being serviceable by NPCs I think is okay because if you can't find a PC you can lose that armor. If weapon repair were 'bonus only' I think it should be a PC only skill and only available to heavy mercantile. I will always support giving fighting PCs more reason to come back to non-fighters more often. I believe if you want all the best stuff you should need multiple PCs working together.

In my mind...

Quality of the weapon should degrade over time, and would need to be "polished/sharpened" back up.
At most, it could degrade 2 quality levels, and can be brought back up to it's level by using some sort of whetstone / sharpening tool.
If it goes below the worst quality level, it should break.

It shouldn't require a new skill to do so - if you have the crafting skill / weapon skill, you should be able to fix your own weapons.

I think that real life should be the timer on what causes it to degrade, with it degrading 1 quality level after 1 zalanthas year.
I don't think we should have it get a bonus quality level by sharpening it.  When you buy it /craft it, it should be the best quality.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I do not ascribe to a "temporary bonus" either, specifically.
If we were ADDING a "weapon repair" skill, then yes. 100%. A (master) repair should have a decent chance at increasing the base quality over normal.

If we are not adding a whole new skill, and it is just up to you to maintain your things? With no skill attached, it DOES become just a chore that you have to do 'once in a while" to make sure you do that extra 3 damage.

I would angle more towards having it as a skill, for certain classes.
Heavy Combat gets it at Journeyman. Decent at maintaining weapons, tools work for them.
Crafter classes get it at Master as they have the hands and minds to create these edges from nothing to begin with.

I am ambivalent on whether Mixed and Heavy Utility should get it at all.

Thats my 'ideal' at least.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: mansa on January 06, 2023, 02:14:43 PM
I don't think we should have it get a bonus quality level by sharpening it.  When you buy it /craft it, it should be the best quality.

This is not the case in RL, most things are manufactured to produce durability and consistency. (i.e.- good cutting edges) You can sharpen "new" weapons and other cutting tools to a higher quality, but that higher quality is much more susceptible to wearing back down to "new" quality and can maintain new quality for a long time. "Honed" quality is VERY hard to maintain (probably after a game day of use (two or three animals or a single battle against another armed opponent), it should be back down to "new".
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I would think the point is ... whatever it can be "sharpened to" is going to be the default of the weapon, because nobody is going to purposefully have a dull spear.

So whether the shop sells at G and it can be VG
or it sells at VG and its always VG

The base nature of the weapon is that its going to be very good
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.