Started by Tranquil, December 27, 2022, 08:46:05 PM

Quote from: Filthy_Grey_Rat on December 29, 2022, 05:33:00 PM
/I/ think the problem is, when you see the half-giant:

The mud-faced, floppy-eared half-giant
  - he is carrying a wooden chest
              more wooden chests
                too many chests

Perhaps we can just change the text to read: he is burdened by a wooden chest

And change the return from inventory to : In your inventory (instead of hands)

Wouldn't that fix the  problem?
How would it help to make characters able to invisibly hold unrealistically bulky items in hands that do not exist?

Obviously that would be impossible to do, even if not holding a weapon, crates aren't little boxes, even for giants they're much bigger than hands, for the size, you know they're things big enough to stuff a few dozen fully packed tents in, they're room furniture. It's obviously unrealistic seeing it, even if it's been normalised for some, it's one of those things that just is stupid to see. This isn't just giants either, but when it's an obviously karma-required character doing it, it gives a worse impression for newer players that roleplay can be just ignored when the desire for "LOOT" overrides

Quote from: Kaathe on December 29, 2022, 06:10:19 PM
hopefully helpful facts:

Quote from: mansa on December 29, 2022, 02:06:21 PM
My suggestion would be the weight of a "blocky stone" object, since it is the largest rock item you can forage.

Many weapons are heavier than those blocky stones.

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

@nightqueen

I just meant to change the wording from 'carrying' to 'burdened by'. Not make them invisible
You don't see that here.

The issue isn't the wording, it's that it's realistically impossible to hold more than one of these enormous things, or holding things in hands while holding one of these enormous things.

Quote from: Night Queen on December 30, 2022, 10:52:11 PM
The issue isn't the wording, it's that it's realistically impossible to hold more than one of these enormous things, or holding things in hands while holding one of these enormous things.

Ooooooh, wow. I'm so sorry. This clearly isn't the type of conversation I thought it was. I'll leave you to your game, and your opinions.
You don't see that here.

It's impossible for elves to hold 12 things in their hands, but they manage.  It's impossible for things to fly, but whirans happen.  It's impossible for bugs to be this large due to how oxygen is processed without circulatory systems, but they manage.

Half-giants can hold a total of 3 items, sometimes 4.  Holding large containers is kind of what they do, in order to deal with this.  They wear it when they can.  They stash things when they can, just like everyone else does.  They're just stronger and can hold more stuff in fewer places.

If realism is your end-all-be-all of whether or not some things should be possible or impossible with code, then there's a whole lot of things to look at.  For now, I'm completely content with half-giants having to rely on large containers to put their strength to use, unless there is some severe limitation to playability that comes from this.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Giant player detected.

If you have a container filled with more than 100 stone worth of stuff in it and you get bashed/floored in combat you should drop the item and everything inside should explode into the room in a mess of clutter.

Having an inventory full of crap you couldn't realistically carry is like... extremely standard rpg.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: betweenford on December 31, 2022, 09:48:22 AM
Giant player detected.

If you have a container filled with more than 100 stone worth of stuff in it and you get bashed/floored in combat you should drop the item and everything inside should explode into the room in a mess of clutter.

Wrong on the player detected side, but a good attempt at some sort of psychological win that doesn't exist.

As I said, if there's some sort of playability issue being caused by it, then we can have that discussion, but for now I haven't seen anything other than 'this annoys me.'
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Many years ago I tried playing a half-giant.
It was a miserable gaming experience. Stored and will never do that again. Most of my time was spent trying to juggle items in those 2 carry slots.
Every damn time it needed to pick up something: stop, put down the crate, pick up the item, put item in crate, pick up crate. Anything with a tool was a nightmare.

Hats off to anyone who can put up with that. I don't.

Games are for fun and you want to make it even more tedious?
Just have everyone on Zalanthas surrounded by a personal levitation field that carries items proportional to their strength.
So you're not "REALLY" carrying anything, it's kinda just there with you.

more wooden chests
                too many chests

I've played many hgs and played with many hgs, and never have I seen this.
I think this whole thing is hyperinflated without any substantiation.

Emote ties some rope-like giant-hair from his beard into an agafari chest handle, letting it hang there.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

Quote from: ShaiHulud on January 01, 2023, 01:07:03 AM

more wooden chests
                too many chests

I've played many hgs and played with many hgs, and never have I seen this.
I think this whole thing is hyperinflated without any substantiation.

Emote ties some rope-like giant-hair from his beard into an agafari chest handle, letting it hang there.

Did you just invent a half-giant feed bag?
#Notacomplaint
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Filthy_Grey_Rat on December 31, 2022, 05:31:42 AMOoooooh, wow. I'm so sorry. This clearly isn't the type of conversation I thought it was. I'll leave you to your game, and your opinions.
Ooooooh, wow. I'm so sorry. This clearly isn't the type of conversation I thought it was. I'll leave you to your game, and your opinions. Club Penguin?

Quote from: Armaddict on December 31, 2022, 09:27:05 AMIt's impossible for elves to hold 12 things in their hands, but they manage.
That's a good point, a naked flag got added was in recent years, seems like it might not be too complicated to change that so if not wearing clothes to hide things in that can't do that. It's important to fix a lot of this stuff, but that isn't a good reason for just not doing anything

Quote from: Armaddict on December 31, 2022, 09:27:05 AMIt's impossible for things to fly, but whirans happen.  It's impossible for bugs to be this large due to how oxygen is processed without circulatory systems, but they manage.
These ones don't make any sense because they follow the rules of the Zalanthan world. Invisible extra hands holding items so large that they are obviously performing an impossible act at first glance don't (the X holding a massive chest with no handles while wielding a massive sword in both hands)

Quote from: Armaddict on December 31, 2022, 10:54:43 AMAs I said, if there's some sort of playability issue being caused by it, then we can have that discussion, but for now I haven't seen anything other than 'this annoys me.'
It seems like the problem is seeing things through a lens of "playability" instead of "what makes a more believable world that fun roleplay stories can come from that don't sound stupid to the uninitiated". The story of the giant wielding a huge sword with a handle-less chest does not give new or potential new players a good impression, there's no justification for doing stuff like that, all it needs is a simple "Would someone consider this stupid/unrealistic seeing a character doing this or hearing they did this somehow". Shouldn't we all be on the same side on this? There's so many games that don't require roleplaying, and this is one of the few that do, that has to compete for quite a small audience of people easily distracted and hard to win over to bring here. Stories of silly stuff like that does not help.

This is a strange hill to die on.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

There's a bad impression of MUDs that people put silly game stuff as more important than the roleplay, this kind of thing is what makes that reputation and so makes it harder to persuade new people to try Armageddon, turning a blind eye to it doesn't help anyone. All these little things can build up to give a bad impression, this is just one thing, but it's one of the most obviously impossible bad RP examples

Regarding the OP's original proposal:
Quote from: Tranquil on December 27, 2022, 08:46:05 PM
My proposal is that carrying things in your direct 'inventory', especially if they're heavy, provides you a small combat or general roll malus with each item. Larger or more cumbersome things would give an even larger malus, dependant on weight.

As has already been pointed out, this is already the case:
Quote from: mansa on December 27, 2022, 10:05:55 PM
It is already coded into the encumbrance stat.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,31465.0.html

Despite this, the thread has made some additional suggestions and ideas. I support everyone who wishes to make them and personally ask myself how would any of these changes make the game better?

Quote from: Night Queen on January 01, 2023, 06:12:48 PM
The story of the giant wielding a huge sword with a handle-less chest does not give new or potential new players a good impression, there's no justification for doing stuff like that, all it needs is a simple "Would someone consider this stupid/unrealistic seeing a character doing this or hearing they did this somehow". Shouldn't we all be on the same side on this?

What I love about roleplaying is stepping into a character, developing a personality, interacting with strange and different characters to create a shared narrative that I could never write alone. The characters of half-giants have many unique qualities, one of them as fantastically large, strong beings that can casually perform feats of strength that no normal human ever could. It is a wondrous part of the fantasy setting. I can respect that we see things differently, but just because we have a different point of view does not mean obviously bad Roleplay. I see this as an inherent part of their roleplay, so no, we shouldn't all be on the same side.

I don't personally think any of the suggested changes makes the game better, for playability OR roleplay. Keep things as they are is my vote.

Quote from: cnemus on January 02, 2023, 04:38:39 PMperform feats of strength that no normal human ever could.
The issue isn't strength though, no one's saying characters shouldn't be able to carry heavy things?

The point is people are carrying items created as furniture, with carrying capacity and look descriptions that makes it clear these are things that can carry things much bigger than the arms of any character (even giants), and would need hands to hold them, and would would not make it possible IC to be running around also carrying another crate/weapons in an invisible set of third and fourth limbs.

It seems like it just reduces them to characters that not many people take seriously, but are grandfathered in from the older game before roleplay was more common. Saying this gamey cheesy behavior is meant as an inherent part of them just makes me wonder if they are beyond salvaging and should just not be player characters anymore (it'd probably increase RP for everyone else anyway since merchants would have to do more than have 1 "hunter giant" so much)

Shabago never promised that I wouldn't lock a topic.

You all know better. Save the nastiness for the game. It doesn't belong here on the GDB.
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right