Offshoot of the weight discussion

Started by Pariah, December 13, 2022, 10:29:22 AM

Has there been any thought to armor weight or general gear weight?

Reason I ask, as I have this problem with every character, even grossly stupidly strong Dwarves and such.

I'll wear armor that covers all the bits, sleeves, neck, chest ect etc.  Carry a few cures, carry a few bandages and a bag or two and I'm heavy.

So I've switched to mostly using Leather Armor as I had heard and have experienced that if you're weighed down, shit hits you more.  So I guess that's sorta the toss up, do I want to be armored like a bahamet and get hit but hopefully saved by armor more, or wear leather and dodge more but take bigger wacks.

Short of just randomly dropping items and then typing stat I haven't found a way to tell what is weighing me down.  Sometimes it's obvious things like hides and whatnot, but sometimes it appears to be odd things, like dung (yes I carry dung to make fires) and I am no shit expert but it seems heavier than it should be.

Also some oddity with shields, if I carry a shield just like, get shield, it weighs a ton, but when I hold shield, it lessens the weight.

Not sure if I should bug that or not.

It just seems like I'm carrying minimal things, my guy doesn't have shit stats in strength and he's always heavy.

Is there any way in game to mitigate this other than not wearing armor or not carrying anything with you?
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

To learn more about your weight without typing stat trying adding weight to your prompt:

%E

\n%A|%s|%E|%w>

Things do weight less or more depending on how you carry them, stuff in you inventory vs held/equipped items and things but in worn packs, etc.

Short answer, I think there has been plenty of thought towards gear.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: Pariah on December 13, 2022, 10:29:22 AM
Also some oddity with shields, if I carry a shield just like, get shield, it weighs a ton, but when I hold shield, it lessens the weight.

That's definitely works-as-intended. Stuff in inventory encumbers you more than stuff in a pack or equipped.

Quote from: Pariah on December 13, 2022, 10:29:22 AM
It just seems like I'm carrying minimal things, my guy doesn't have shit stats in strength and he's always heavy.

Is there any way in game to mitigate this other than not wearing armor or not carrying anything with you?

You do have to make significant tradeoffs if your PC is not super strong. (The last PC I had who didn't worry much about encumbrance had exceptional strength. Half-elf who wore some horror armor and routinely carried an extra spear, bow, quiver of arrows, 1-2 waterskins.)

1) Wear less armor: head and neck is essential, everything else is negotiable.
2) Pack everything on your mount except for cures and one waterskin.
3) Clean up your loadout periodically. Dump everything in pack/belt/cloak/etc into a bag, pick out what you really need.
4) Repeating (2), but: don't ever carry hides etc. on your person. :D Bag and pack that shit.

There are desert elves who don't even carry water on long runs; you'll be okay (or possibly die). ;D
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.