Coding in terms of names.

Started by Pariah, December 10, 2022, 12:38:26 AM

So without getting into specifics, there are certain groups of players in the game that use crazy names.  Like Large Venti Cappucino or He Sits When He Poops.

Which hey, whatever, call yourself whatever you want.  But where I struggle codedly is how the hell do you contact them?  Cause when I try to contact He Sits When He Poops it doesn't work.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Should be able to contact He.Sits.When.Poops in such cases, I'm thinking. You are looking for adding a dot between keywords and you can contact anyone with multiple keywords, but I don't think you can contact anyone with multiple keywords if you don't use the dot. Maybe if you use "quotation marks" around the name. I'm not sure, but the dots between keywords should work and if they aren't working and the person is demonstrably logged in, there might be a problem with them not having those keywords added or them being barriered.

Also it isn't usually required to keyword All Of My Name. I might go by Name or My or All. Just like Fancidopolis Kuderkind Mcnamerus Fale only has one of those as a keyword.

Try one at a time.

Appreciate the tips, I've had no luck, and I've tried the three or four letter names individually, with dots, I'm guessing maybe it's just some keyword issues.  Not super important but I was trying to contact one of them recently and was like, wtf do I do here haha.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on December 10, 2022, 01:10:41 AM
Appreciate the tips, I've had no luck, and I've tried the three or four letter names individually, with dots, I'm guessing maybe it's just some keyword issues.  Not super important but I was trying to contact one of them recently and was like, wtf do I do here haha.

If you need to speak with another character, and you've been trying for a while and cannot seem to connect to them, I would suggest to create a request in the request tool.
The staff might tell you their typical playtimes, if they are 'on vacation', and they will try and help you out.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: dumbstruck on December 10, 2022, 12:56:47 AM
Should be able to contact He.Sits.When.Poops in such cases, I'm thinking. You are looking for adding a dot between keywords and you can contact anyone with multiple keywords, but I don't think you can contact anyone with multiple keywords if you don't use the dot.

The dot is not required. You can definitely
   contact tall muscular man
   contact super mario
   etc.

I have encountered characters who are widely known by a name but don't have any part of it as a keyword. Your best bet is to get in the same room with the person and try "keyword <whatever>" for each keyword you want to see if they match.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on December 10, 2022, 01:43:39 AM
Quote from: dumbstruck on December 10, 2022, 12:56:47 AM
Should be able to contact He.Sits.When.Poops in such cases, I'm thinking. You are looking for adding a dot between keywords and you can contact anyone with multiple keywords, but I don't think you can contact anyone with multiple keywords if you don't use the dot.

The dot is not required. You can definitely
   contact tall muscular man
   contact super mario
   etc.

I have encountered characters who are widely known by a name but don't have any part of it as a keyword. Your best bet is to get in the same room with the person and try "keyword <whatever>" for each keyword you want to see if they match.

I've definitely had mixed luck with this, and seemingly better luck with the dots, but that's probably pigeon superstition. I did suggest the keyword in the room thing to Pariah in a PM thing to test the keywords of the other character in question though.

The issue is if their name is like "he sits when he poops" they may only have added "sits when poops". So when you contact he.sits.when.he.poops you're contacting someone who does NOT match all those keywords.

contact sits.poops or contact poops elf is going to have more success, if they are available and added those keywords.

Anyone saying "You can call me Amos" and doesn't add keyword amos is a scumbag.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

IIRC(unless this was fixed recently) you also cannot target someone with their true name and a keyword in contact or other methods.

Quote from: betweenford on December 10, 2022, 11:22:47 AM
IIRC(unless this was fixed recently) you also cannot target someone with their true name and a keyword in contact or other methods.

Again maybe superstition, but I've also believed this to be true for a very long time.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on December 11, 2022, 09:22:35 PM
Quote from: betweenford on December 10, 2022, 11:22:47 AM

Again maybe superstition, but I've also believed this to be true for a very long time.
Just tested this, and you cannot target yourself or anyone else with a combination of a keyword and a true name. Contact or otherwise. Test this on your current character with the keyword command.

December 19, 2022, 11:26:44 PM #11 Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 04:29:04 AM by Inks
You can use any of the names as keywords. Any decent player will have addkeyworded all the names.

If I am wrong about that, just use the rarest word. Then set an alias for their sdesc+keyword in future.

I actually do believe that so-called "true name" + other keywords may not work, if so, just submit a bugfix on request tool with ATTN Nessalin, he is a code wizard.

Some players simply refuse to add all their names to keywords. Try the sdesc.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

The only general feedback I'll give in the regard to aliases as that's a player choice of course.

If you're posting to boards or other permanent outlets saying, Contact He Crys In His Pillow and you don't have that as aliases, why are you even putting it on the board?