true wilderness quit + mount feeding (should) = logged off stamaina regen

Started by Lotion, September 06, 2022, 10:55:35 PM

Currently one of the biggest drags of playing a pure wilderness character is that you must wait for mount regen somewhat often for long periods of time where you're mostly afk often for long enough periods where your hunger/thirst clocks will pause while you wait for your mount to regenerate. This was greatly alleviated when mount feeding was introduced but due to a multitude of nerfs to mount feeding this isn't as powerful as it once was.

One major advantage city characters have over wilderness characters in terms of the game respecting their time as human beings is that they can stable a mount, log out, and then the mount will regenerate stamina while the player is logged out. There is no reasonable way for wilderness characters to achieve a similar effect. Leaving a mount rested in a random place while you log out is not something that players should be reasonably expected to do or get away with. (prediction warning, but p>.9 that this is true) Staff would not reimburse a mount that went missing if you just left it resting and logged out.

The obvious solution to make mount stamina regeneration mechanics which respect players' time is to allow mounts to virtually regenerate stamina at the cost of their fullness from being fed when a player with wilderness quit logs out using wilderness quit (i.e. not in a quit room) with mounts that will return on login (i.e. hitched or currently riding). This is the sort of thing which can probably be calculated on the fly by remembering when the player logged out and then when loading mounts and whatnot saying oh look this player's sunback is hitched to them and was well fed on logout n seconds ago. We can subtract x feediness from it and give back y stamina because virtually time was passing and there's no reason for this sunback to still be as tired as it was considering that it existed with the player in the world virtually for all this time.

I think that would be cool.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I like this idea. With the introduction of 'quit ooc', wilderness quit has become a bit less valuable. This would make it more of a perk again.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on September 07, 2022, 11:25:35 AM
I like this idea. With the introduction of 'quit ooc', wilderness quit has become a bit less valuable. This would make it more of a perk again.
This isn't about making wilderness quit compete with quit ooc which imo it already does extremely well, this is about modifying mount stamina regen mechanics so that they respect the time of pure wilderness players to the same degree as city players.

I find mount stamina requiring you to rest, remain perhaps codedly vulnerable or exposed to be an important part of the process of travel. I would hate to discourage outdoorsy types from 'sitting out the night to let their mount recover' or to take frequent pauses while traveling when they could instead logoff and then return later with a fully-prepped mount.

Mount feeding diminishes recovery time (considerably) and is a valuable tool, but negating these windows of vulnerability entirely are not an improvement to the game in my opinion.
Arm quotes from the days of old:
Runner - Where are you?
Byn Sergeant - Just sittin'... in the shade... of the Shield Wall.
Runner - You fell didn't you?
Sergeant - Never speak of this.

I think a few scarce moments of something interesting happening during many hours of boring waiting does not justify the existence of the many ours of boring waiting, especially when examined from the perspective of the game respecting players' time.

Quote from: Lotion on October 15, 2022, 11:12:52 PM
I think a few scarce moments of something interesting happening during many hours of boring waiting does not justify the existence of the many ours of boring waiting, especially when examined from the perspective of the game respecting players' time.

Is there a reason resting mounts becomes boring waiting/idling and not continued roleplay with your character and their companions? I see tired mounts as the cost for riding long distance or continuously, most mounts can go from point of civilization to point of civilization without  needing rest and this includes a little hunting/exploring on the way. If you're riding enough to exhaust a mount (and not taking care of your mount to reduce the time it takes for them to regen), you play the risk of not having stamina to run away from critters/pcs/weather/dehydration/starvation etc.
Arm quotes from the days of old:
Runner - Where are you?
Byn Sergeant - Just sittin'... in the shade... of the Shield Wall.
Runner - You fell didn't you?
Sergeant - Never speak of this.

Some of my most favorite interactions happened -because- I was resting my mount. I'd hate to give that up for anything.
I ruin immershunz.

I removed an especially unhelpful post. Be kind to each other. Be mean to each others' characters.

This PSA brought to you by the letter Q and the color chartreuse.
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

If quit ooc is being used as wilderness quit with any consistency, that really needs to be addressed; it wasn't made to make it so that everyone could make camp out there.

I do consider this an at least somewhat decent idea.  I do have reservations about people just logging out instead of being in danger, though, but that was likely predictable.  I don't think logging out should take over for 'resting your mount' out in the wilds.  Perhaps put this in place, but also add a fairly lengthy timer before it 'kicks in' to prevent the 'log out, I'll log back in in an hour or two when my mount is rested' scenario.

Not certain if that would be too much of a pain to code, though.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Kiyetal on October 15, 2022, 11:27:25 PM
Quote from: Lotion on October 15, 2022, 11:12:52 PM

Is there a reason resting mounts becomes boring waiting/idling and not continued roleplay with your character and their companions? I see tired mounts as the cost for riding long distance or continuously, most mounts can go from point of civilization to point of civilization without  needing rest and this includes a little hunting/exploring on the way. If you're riding enough to exhaust a mount (and not taking care of your mount to reduce the time it takes for them to regen), you play the risk of not having stamina to run away from critters/pcs/weather/dehydration/starvation etc.
When you have companions this isn't an issue.

Maybe you should just deal with exhaustion like a big boy just as the rest of the game does. I do not approve.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I don't like it.

Waiting for a mount to regen is when your PC is at their most vulnerable. That's an important part of a survival game.