Rerolling

Started by LindseyBalboa, July 27, 2022, 04:25:45 PM

I think it's time. It's 2022. There's no excuse. We really have to:

add an extra reroll.

add the ability to switch one stat with another stat.

Either of these would be amazing. Both would also be amazing. The latter for everyone and the first suggestion only for 0 karma roles, that's amazing, too.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

That's such a good idea. For the zero karma! I love that. Zero karma deserve things too.

I'm against the double reroll though I'd like the stat switching thing for mundanes.

I think the pre-roll stat ordering accomplishes the stat switching already. But there are bonuses/penalties built into the final results, and I don't think it makes sense to be able to move those around. For example, if you have a large age-based agility bonus, you shouldn't be able to change that to a strength bonus.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Why not add in a point buy system or standard set if we're talking about all these rerolls?

Maybe we could use karma to add points to the pool for buying extra stats on character generation rather than choosing subguilds/races?

Prevent rerolls that are identical or near identical and I'm happy.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Also prevent reroll-undo from re-generating pools and giving you different results if you dare to not take the reroll.

Quote from: flurry on July 27, 2022, 06:48:43 PM
I think the pre-roll stat ordering accomplishes the stat switching already. But there are bonuses/penalties built into the final results, and I don't think it makes sense to be able to move those around. For example, if you have a large age-based agility bonus, you shouldn't be able to change that to a strength bonus.

wasn't implied or suggested. agreed. it'd just be switching the stat with another stat.
sad

July 28, 2022, 04:19:26 PM #8 Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 04:21:29 PM by Veselka
I'd be happy with being able to switch a stat, or to 'minus' one stat to 'plus' another stat. Sometimes I get a 'poor' or 'below average' that sort of ruins the character concept, and i'd be fine with it averaging out.

In general I feel that if you have a below average stat, you should make up for it elsewhere, and the rolling system should take that into account. Like if your non prioritized last stat rolls Really bad, you get a small boost to your preferred stat(s).

Anyways yeah. There's some thrill in rolling the dice with Ginka, but that's a masochistic thrill. I imagine new players are not thrilled by the random stats or inability to change them, or they might be confused about bonuses/minuses that are gained from class choice and race choice.

I'd REALLY like for those to be transparent in the race and class choice, and to be given a prompt when you choose a race/class.

Dwarf:

Brief paragraph from helpfile condensed.

Talk about focuses briefly.

They (+/-) racial bonuses in (stat).

Do you want to be a dwarf? (Y/N)

Same for classes--->

Fighter:

Brief paragraph from helpfile condensed.

They (+/-) in (stat).

Do you want to be a fighter? (Y/N)

-----

This isn't something that I personally need, as i've figured out more or less what the different combinations do and help with through trial and error. But with new players, I think it would be very helpful in deciding stat priority and to match expectations.

It also keeps people engaged with the character creation tool. I don't necessarily think you should have a list of all the skills they get, but maybe you can be prompted to see the skill-list and how good they get at it.

Right now, people have to use the website, or a player made skill-matching tool. Not the worst thing in the world by any means, but it isn't easily accessible, not listed in the character creator or on the website, and if you know you know.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

There are some very basic problems.

Switching a poor elf strength with a good elf agility would not mean that the elf had a good strength and poor agility, because of the underlying numbers.

You couldn't do a point for point reallocation because the stats have different ranges.  One stat might roll a 2d4 and one might roll a 3d4, for instance.

Quote from: Brokkr on July 28, 2022, 05:01:13 PM
There are some very basic problems.

Switching a poor elf strength with a good elf agility would not mean that the elf had a good strength and poor agility, because of the underlying numbers.

You couldn't do a point for point reallocation because the stats have different ranges.  One stat might roll a 2d4 and one might roll a 3d4, for instance.

However,

You could take the "percentage" of where your roll ended up on the stat range, and transfer that "percentage" over to another stat.

Let's say you have a stat range for STRENGTH of 10~18, and you have another stat range of AGILITY 15~30.
When you roll (after modifiers) a STRENGTH of 17, and you roll (after modifiers) an AGILITY of 17.

You take the percentage of 17 out of 10~18, which is about 88%.   And then you take the percentage of 17 out of 15~30, which is about 13%.
Then you flip them ->  13% of the stat range of 10-18 is about 11, and 88% of 15~30 is about 28.

That's what is being asked.   Can I move my 'Poor' or my 'percentage' from Agility to Strength, and move my "Extremely Good" from Strength to Agility.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Which is basically stat ordering, which you already have.

I guess we could have stat ordering happen after all modifiers rather than before, but I'm not sure that's really desirable.

OP, what's the problem that this fixes? Is it that sometimes you get two low powered rolls in a row and are thus stuck with a disappointingly underpowered PC? 'Cause adding more rerolls and stat swapping doesn't directly address that; it just makes it less likely.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on July 28, 2022, 06:00:49 PM
I guess we could have stat ordering happen after all modifiers rather than before, but I'm not sure that's really desirable.

OP, what's the problem that this fixes? Is it that sometimes you get two low powered rolls in a row and are thus stuck with a disappointingly underpowered PC? 'Cause adding more rerolls and stat swapping doesn't directly address that; it just makes it less likely.

Less likely is fine with me. The more chances to get a character a person wants to invest real life time into, the better, in my opinion. That's all it needs to do.

However it also addresses stats not matching descriptions, allows more ownership if you do get bad stats, and generally falls into line with contemporary roleplaying games that we are likely to attract new players from. DND 5e allows rerolls in several instances, for example. PC RPGs generally allow a ton of stat customization. You can reroll and retrain your stats in Souls, which are kinda the graphical equivalent to Arm.

These are things that I'd expect from a perma-death game I'm putting my time into. I don't care about dying, but I want to play the character I want to play, so any more ability to customize that is great.
sad

was just reading, feel free to delete this comment