Accents?

Started by KakkarotYaBoi, June 12, 2022, 05:28:08 PM

Hello there! Debuting my forum presence with this post :) . I'm wondering why southern accents and northern ones aren't broken up more specifically (Red Storm and Allanak having the same, just like Luirs and Tuluk). Also every desert elf tribe has the same accent too. Don't you think they would sound different?  Just something I've been thinking about.

That's a good question.

As far as I remember, when accents got introduced in the game, the major focus was to distinguish between "Tuluk" spies vs "Allanak" spies, and that's it.

Everything else was just, 'sure, why not?' from a design point of view.

"Should people from the Labyrinth have a specific accent?"
"...sure, why not?"
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I've always wondered why red storm doesn't have a "stormy accent" or something.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Aside from the 'canned' accents, some people who are not me also do "in say" accents. I tend to err on the side of readability, myself.

Quote from: kakkarot on June 12, 2022, 05:28:08 PM
Hello there! Debuting my forum presence with this post :) . I'm wondering why southern accents and northern ones aren't broken up more specifically (Red Storm and Allanak having the same, just like Luirs and Tuluk). Also every desert elf tribe has the same accent too. Don't you think they would sound different?  Just something I've been thinking about.

Similar to American accents, if you're from the South you might know the difference between Southern Alabama Belle vs Lousiana Cajun.
As a Yank? Its all Southern to me.

Red Storm and Allanak have a "similar" sounding accent compared to northern, or tribal, or staccato, or legato or whatever else is out there.

While you have a "Southern" accent, you can (as suggested here) alter it through says. "Well, ain't that some shit" vs "Well, that IS a problem" vs "Fuckin' le''s git whi' tha gettin's goo'!" can all be Southern.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.