Poison Update

Started by Halaster, May 01, 2022, 10:23:53 PM

Just something I was looking into:

Character Stats 2021:
Subclasses that get 'Poison'
1 Karma - Touched Drovian  (advanced)   (0.08%)
1 Karma - Slipknife  (advanced)       (2.03%)

Classes that get 'Poison'
Fence (advanced)    (3.54%)
Miscreant (master)   (9.98%)
Stalker (master)    (12.65%)
Infiltrator (advanced)    (6.76%)
Scout (advanced)    (12.39%)
~47% of all characters that were created in 2021 had access to the poison skill.  (This doesn't mean active population, as people may make 10 scouts in a row and die, whereas one person might make 1 fence and live for 10 months)

I would like to see a 0 karma subclass get poisoning cap at high Journeyman.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on May 24, 2022, 10:52:25 AM
I would like to see a 0 karma subclass get poisoning cap at high Journeyman.

While I posted some long winded ideas, in reality I would just settle for poison not to suck because you have 30 cures in your pocket, and the guy poisoning you has no OOC friends to tell them where the 'good' stuff is. :(   

If these issues are somehow addressed I would prefer less people having poison making and poison coating skills without some trust. 

Either way, it was fun to visit and post again, I will keep checking in periodically to see what if any updates are eventually made to poisons. :)

Please as the game sits don't make poisoning something that requires 2 people. That was done with some crafting and other things and made it near impossible to get things done

Quote from: Spiceoflife on May 28, 2022, 10:51:57 AM
Please as the game sits don't make poisoning something that requires 2 people. That was done with some crafting and other things and made it near impossible to get things done

Random idea that has no guarantee of happening, but a "Poison Crafting" subguild might be interesting.  They would have all the necessary skills to do all the poison and cure work, but that might be the only guild or subguild that does.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Halaster on May 28, 2022, 12:05:01 PM

Random idea that has no guarantee of happening, but a "Poison Crafting" subguild might be interesting.  They would have all the necessary skills to do all the poison and cure work, but that might be the only guild or subguild that does.

Isn't this already Apothecary?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on May 28, 2022, 12:13:02 PM

They don't currently get poisoning.

Quote from: Halaster on May 28, 2022, 12:15:06 PM
Quote from: Fredd on May 28, 2022, 12:13:02 PM

They don't currently get poisoning.

Correct, they can't apply poisons to things. But Poisoning isn't used for the creation of poisons, brew is.

So the people that make and cure the poisons are already one subclass. Unless you are going to change this with the update?  The ability to make poisons is sort of weak, but I thought that was more "the right people haven't pushed this further" then a system thing. Was I wrong?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I assume you mean when you make a tablet/vial and sometimes it poisons you.  Those objects are not the right object type to poison.  They are meant to be side affects, not a method to poison someone.

You can literally brew poison. Actual poison. Poison to poison people with.

(Please read that in tongue-in-cheek Emporer's New Groove "Kuzco" meme voice)

You just can't apply that brewed poison to weapons, you have to get it in their system by force-feeding or tricking them into it.

Which has been done to great effect and is a solid tactic in the mundane toolbox.

I'm in the camp of "make poisons debilitating and annoying rather than outright deadly", beyond that everything else has been said.

When people say "outright deadly" in reference to certain poisons, do they mean "functionally disabling"? Because there are poisons that are disabling that are not directly deadly, but are deadly in the sense that you are basically guaranteed dead in most situations because of their disabling properties. It's probably an important distinction to make for the discussion.

Cannot speak for others, But I mean Terradin, Methelinoc and for most, bloodburn in current incarnations. That type of deadly.

And most people have already commented on changing or removing the stuff that is not in itself deadly but putting you in a position where death is assured in many situations.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Kind of depends on how the curing is done.  Terradin would not considered deadly by me in the past because of how historically easy it was to cure/find cures.  Mostly I refer specifically to instant pure disables and methelinoc.

I'm not saying they should not be in the game.  I'm saying such strong tools should require preparation that is difficult, otherwise they would be in weaker forms in some way, shape, or form.  There are other means of establishing the same effects in game that are skill based, and I'm saying these should be skill based as well, essentially.  Just a different skill of preparation.  The goal being: Create less fear around random skirmishes.  More small combat that is non-lethal as much as possible WITHOUT the 'trust the other player not to kill you' complex that has historically failed.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

No more feedback for a couple of weeks, I think we're good.  Thanks for all the replies!