Throw - Additional abilities to the throw skill

Started by mansa, March 25, 2022, 12:43:26 PM

Hey,

https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Throw

Currently, the throw skill has a few coded abilities:
a) Do damage to characters at maximum range of 1 room away
b) For throwing weapons that are classified as 'stabbing' weapons, they can deploy poisons
c) In some cases, there is a chance that it can knock the target prone.

I would like to see throw have additional uses.
d) At top skill, the ability to disarm someone by striking their hands/arms.
e) If it was a bludgeoning weapon type, or chopping weapon type, the ability to interrupt way conversations and disconnect them.

What else would be cool additions to the throw skill?
Why would these be terrible ideas?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Would love if bolas could prevent movement for a short duration, or incur larger movement lag for a bit after hitting.

Any buff to a skill this strong requires the same amount of power to be taken from another part of the ability. In this case, knockdown.

But I am all for making it a bit more realistic. Give us aimed shots, and let us disarm from a distance, or hit a leg and make moving between rooms slower. That would be neat. But again, we don't need to buff something that's already this strong.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I dig all of these ideas.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

here's a dumb, but fun idea. A little fantastic, but it is a fantasy game.

Throwing a dagger up and it comes back down and randomly hits, or lands on the ground.

I can see this being 'elven roulette' or something. :)

But it could be used creatively in combat, I'm sure.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

...Maybe it could also be cool if a successful throw could interrupt spellcasting.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on March 25, 2022, 02:59:45 PM
...Maybe it could also be cool if a successful throw could interrupt spellcasting.

You throw a rock west and strike a spellcaster in the head

Spellcaster forgets the word 'Un'

I suppose I might be for a successful hit from a thrown weapon causing a "break in concentration" akin to randomly typing stand. Hit a hidden person with throw? Breaks their hide. Breaks crafting, spellcasting, etc.

Hard to get the timing down but you have no idea how hot I would be for "successful thrown weapon causes target to break hide".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I've seen a spell that forces people to sit be used to break hide and I don't see how forcing someone to sit using the throw skill would be any different.

Quote from: Lotion on March 25, 2022, 06:54:33 PM
I've seen a spell that forces people to sit be used to break hide and I don't see how forcing someone to sit using the throw skill would be any different.
Only because forcing to sit is the knockdown from throw already, and sitting is a more vulnerable position. I'm suggesting it forces them to "vis" so that it breaks hide. People see you throw a tomahawk at some shadow and it lands? The tomahawk isn't hidden anymore.

These throw ideas could be broken up into the throw weapon subtypes.

Throwing a net has a chance to do knockdown but does very little damage.

Throwing a bola has a chance to knockdown and a much higher chance to significantly lessen their move speed for however many seconds.

Throwing a knife has a chance to disarm but no chance to knockdown.

Quote from: Riev on March 26, 2022, 09:02:56 AM
Only because forcing to sit is the knockdown from throw already, and sitting is a more vulnerable position. I'm suggesting it forces them to "vis" so that it breaks hide. People see you throw a tomahawk at some shadow and it lands? The tomahawk isn't hidden anymore.
the taking aim part of throw breaks hide

Reduce the cooldown at Master. Cut it in half at least, maybe eliminate it all together.

March 27, 2022, 11:39:54 AM #13 Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 11:43:02 AM by Fredd
Quote from: roughneck on March 27, 2022, 09:59:12 AM
Reduce the cooldown at Master. Cut it in half at least, maybe eliminate it all together.

At master, allow the person to add a number tag behind knives to throw, allowing them to throw a few in a row.

Throw knife 2.knife 3.knife dumbdumb w

You take aim at the target.

You throw a dagger, it hits in the throat
You throw a dagger it hits in the leg
You throw a dagger it hits on the left toe

Each additional throw takes a small accuracy debuff, but the increase in dps and the ability to apply 2-3 poisons quickly is the upside.

This means elf types would get to throw more daggers then a human, because they have bette rbonus' for it, so they can take more of an accuracy debuff.

I would suggest that anything added trigger off an agility or wisdom check by the wielder.   Advanced+ throw on strong pcs is already plenty obscenely strong for my taste.
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

Quote from: Halcyon on March 27, 2022, 01:54:54 PM
I would suggest that anything added trigger off an agility or wisdom check by the wielder.   Advanced+ throw on strong pcs is already plenty obscenely strong for my taste.

This is why i said that any increase in power to throw, would have to come at the expense of that.

Quote from: Fredd on March 27, 2022, 11:39:54 AM
At master, allow the person to add a number tag behind knives to throw, allowing them to throw a few in a row.

This would instantly kill PCs, even with an 'accuracy debuff'.

if you want to apply multiple poisons from stealth in quick succession it only takes a little creativity now that you can shoot an es'd blowgun with another weapon ep'd

Quote from: Fawcett on March 27, 2022, 06:58:23 PM

This would instantly kill PCs, even with an 'accuracy debuff'.

Valid, a bit to strong.

Its cool but feels like it would wildly put archery and crossbows out of balance. Throw is already massively powerful, in my eyes getting knockdown in exchange for being one rangeband less than the others.

Then crossbows get more damage at point blank and bows are just fast shots. Adding more goodies to one would just make the others feel meh
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

I also do not see that throw needs any changes.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Rojer on March 25, 2022, 01:13:43 PM
Would love if bolas could prevent movement for a short duration, or incur larger movement lag for a bit after hitting.

I think that is cool.

Quote from: Fredd on March 25, 2022, 02:33:30 PM
here's a dumb, but fun idea. A little fantastic, but it is a fantasy game.

Throwing a dagger up and it comes back down and randomly hits, or lands on the ground.

I can see this being 'elven roulette' or something. :)

I don't think that is cool.

Quote from: Riev on March 25, 2022, 04:18:45 PM
I suppose I might be for a successful hit from a thrown weapon causing a "break in concentration" akin to randomly typing stand. Hit a hidden person with throw? Breaks their hide. Breaks crafting, spellcasting, etc.

Hard to get the timing down but you have no idea how hot I would be for "successful thrown weapon causes target to break hide".

I think that is cool.

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 26, 2022, 04:13:59 PM
These throw ideas could be broken up into the throw weapon subtypes.

Throwing a net has a chance to do knockdown but does very little damage.

Throwing a bola has a chance to knockdown and a much higher chance to significantly lessen their move speed for however many seconds.

Throwing a knife has a chance to disarm but no chance to knockdown.

I think that is cool.   I don't think throwing knives should knock down people, but other weapon types/styles should.

I think that is cool.  I agree that with crossbow aiming/reloading too - so if you're higher skill, you can reload / aim / throw / shoot quicker.

Throw knife 2.knife 3.knife dumbdumb w

You take aim at the target.

You throw a dagger, it hits in the throat
You throw a dagger it hits in the leg
You throw a dagger it hits on the left toe

Each additional throw takes a small accuracy debuff, but the increase in dps and the ability to apply 2-3 poisons quickly is the upside.

This means elf types would get to throw more daggers then a human, because they have bette rbonus' for it, so they can take more of an accuracy debuff.

I don't really like that.  I think if the throw / aim was shortened by being a 'master' then it would be something similar in effect.

Quote from: Riev on March 25, 2022, 04:18:45 PM

I think that is cool, a straightforward change, and makes "throw" useful to low-strength PCs.

My impression is that throw does useful damage and knockdown only if the thrower is strong. So for weaker folks, it's not very useful because it doesn't do much. And for stronger folks it's not very useful because they can already rock your face in melee. Causing it to break hide makes it generally useful, and gives a bigger group combat role to your stalkers and miscreants.

Would it seem crazy for throw to break hide when ranged weapon hits don't? (Should ranged weapon hits break hide?)

How about this?
- A successful throw hit breaks victim's hide. (Like, we all literally watched the rock in flight and saw where it landed.)
- Ranged weapon hits break hide only if they do, like, reel-worthy damage. (The projectile moved too fast to really track, but you moved 'cause it hurt ya.)
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Lotion on March 26, 2022, 07:07:36 PM
Quote from: Riev on March 26, 2022, 09:02:56 AM
the taking aim part of throw breaks hide

I think you're not following the discussion here.