How to roleplay someone from the Warrens?

Started by MURDERhobo, December 25, 2021, 11:36:44 AM

I searched the forum for "Warrens" and did not find an existing topic like this. My ability to search this forum is also garbage. The ongoing Labyrinth topic has brought this question to mind.

How does one roleplay a character from the Warrens?

Follow up questions:
- What's the Warrens accent? More Tuluki, but less educated? What's the Tuluki accent, anyway?
- What sort of archetypes exist in the Warrens? Swindlers and peddlers? Beggars? Rogue cutpurses, or are all thieves aligned with a gang?
- Are Warrens folk (Warrenites? Warrens rats?) treated roughly like 'rinthis are in Allanak, or is it a completely different sense of caste and neighborhood in Tuluk?

Thanks in advance for answers. I can take guesses but always feel uncomfortable taking guesses when I don't know.
"𝕾𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖜 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖈𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖈𝖐𝖎𝖓𝖌-𝖕𝖑𝖆𝖈𝖊."

I believe there is a bit more information in game when you point Tuluk and can look at tattoos but I may be wrong.

Warrens is just the largest part of Tuluk IIRC that holds citizens. It isn't Rinth levels of poverty but it also isn't very wealthy, but keep in mind this is the vast majority of the citizens of Tuluk (Or so I've been led to believe)

" What's the Warrens accent? More Tuluki, but less educated? What's the Tuluki accent, anyway?"
It's the 'riff raff' accent. Which is to say, most poor people.
Also, just about everyone but the blooded merchantry and nobility are 'uneducated'. There is no literacy, no maths, no sciences. You get mystery and folk lore at best from an upbringing and maybe a trade.

We have no examples of accents in game, I wouldn't think about it too much. Going 'Ah Tuluk is british accent and Allanak is French' doesn't do much anyway

"What sort of archetypes exist in the Warrens? Swindlers and peddlers? Beggars? Rogue cutpurses, or are all thieves aligned with a gang?"
I'm pretty sure most of them are just 'working poor'. People who do physical labor, carry stuff, criminals and outcasts, a bit of everyone.

" Are Warrens folk (Warrenites? Warrens rats?) treated roughly like 'rinthis are in Allanak, or is it a completely different sense of caste and neighborhood in Tuluk?"

I don't believe so.

I made a shitty map of Tuluk:

The Warrens is basically the commoners area of Tuluk.  The remaining bards live there.   The High Market is there.
The streets are poor, and some buildings are knocked over, but the Soldiers still patrol around it.

There are other areas in Tuluk that might be more similar to the Labyrinth - 'The Lows', also known as UnderTuluk.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Very helpful, this already clarifies a lot for me, and thank you!
"𝕾𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖜 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖈𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖈𝖐𝖎𝖓𝖌-𝖕𝖑𝖆𝖈𝖊."

Quote from: MURDERhobo on December 25, 2021, 11:36:44 AM
I searched the forum for "Warrens" and did not find an existing topic like this. My ability to search this forum is also garbage. The ongoing Labyrinth topic has brought this question to mind.

How does one roleplay a character from the Warrens?

Follow up questions:
- What's the Warrens accent? More Tuluki, but less educated? What's the Tuluki accent, anyway?

From my understanding it would just be 'Lower Class'. Maybe not as good of grammar or know as many fancy words. But otherwise still just a Northern Accent. Like other people pointed out, there's no real analogies between Northern/Southern and the RL, you just kind of imagine they're different from one another.
- What sort of archetypes exist in the Warrens? Swindlers and peddlers? Beggars? Rogue cutpurses, or are all thieves aligned with a gang?

All types of archetypes. There's beggars, there's grifters. There's outright criminals and muggers, and there's laundry washers. There's bards, there's thieves, there's rogue cutpurses and gangs. From the outside looking in, it may look homogenous, but there's absolutely nuance and distinction there -- You just have to know the right people, or get in with the right crowd.

There's people who are destitute, and there are people who are more middle class/working class. Keep in mind this is where the Bulk of Commoners live their daily lives, from high to low. It's where the majority of apartment complexes are located. It's where the Bards of the Poet's Circle are now located, due to the original location being smashed by earthquakes. So all walks of Commoner life are present in the Warrens -- I tend to think of it as a highly dense city population like NYC or LA, where you go one block and can suddenly be in a shanty town, and another block and find the best food around. It's also where the majority of the 'culture' of Tuluk is conveyed and circulated.

- Are Warrens folk (Warrenites? Warrens rats?) treated roughly like 'rinthis are in Allanak, or is it a completely different sense of caste and neighborhood in Tuluk?

Not at all. You'll note if you look at the NPC Tattoo Seller who wanders the warrens (or that you get on PC creation I believe) that there are many different distinctions, and being born in the Warrens is kind of in the middle. There are the Lows/Deeps which is modern day UnderTuluk, and that would be the closest analogy to "Someone from the Labyrinth". In essence, someone who is born in the Lows and then lives in the Lows mainly, is avoiding Tuluki Society, avoiding buying in to the idea that the Faithful are servants of the Sun King, and are as close to anti-tuluk elements that you can get. Some people that live there have good reason to, some are hiding from the law, some are hiding that they are magickers or worse. But they have the citizenship inks.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant