Some personal play data I guess

Started by valeria, October 12, 2021, 08:07:11 PM

It feels really stupid to make a thread for this, but I wanted to take a deep dive into my data to see if I actually play less these days, or if it just feels like I play less because I've got more stuff going on.  I kind of miss the Random Armageddon Thoughts thread, though this turned into more of a, I don't even know what this is, I guess this is a data-sharing exercise?

From April 2009 to present, I've played 11,184 hours of Armageddon.  It turns out to be exactly 466 days.  Over one year and three months, actually logged into the game and playing it.

I was 23 years old when I started playing.  I've played 44 characters.  70% have been human, 88% have been mundane.

When I take out penned gladiators, I play a mean average of 29 days a character, and a median average of 3 days a character.  In other words, if I actually get into a character, I stick into them for a while.  17 characters died (including 4 penned gladiators), and I stored 27 (including 1 plot-over special role, and 2 gladiators).

My shortest-lived character was a dwarf ranger/scavenger in 2010 who I played for 5 hours and stored because she had a stupid focus.  Her focus was "collecting plants" and then I found out that there were not actually a lot of plants in the game at that time.  My most total hours for any given character was 1,715 on Ostren Oash, between 11/26/18 and 03/23/19, who I stored because of COVID-19 related stress.  My second most total hours was 1,313 hours on Rusimell Fale between 08/31/14 and 08/13/15, who I stored because my grandma and grandpa were both ill at the same time and I was stressed out.  It turns out that I store most of my nonsponsored characters for sponsored roles, and most of my sponsored characters because of RL stress.

I've taken 10 breaks from the game between characters, with increasing duration and frequency as the years rolled on.  On three of my longest-lived characters, I was playing an average of 3.35 hours a day in 2012-2013,* an average of 2.28 hours a day in 2014-2015, and an average of 1.63 hours a day in 2018-2019.  So it turns out I play about half the Armageddon now that I played almost 10 years ago. 

*This was my peak year in terms of hours a day, which makes sense because before that I was attending law school.

If you've read this far, I have no idea why.  I just got on a data roll and thought it would be a shame to keep this all in my head.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

How many people have you directly, or indirectly killed during this time?

How did you gather your data?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on October 12, 2021, 08:51:58 PM

Be pretty easy to do it from bios. They should have both hours played, and dates played.

Quote from: mansa on October 12, 2021, 08:51:58 PM

I asked for my account notes and put into Excel all of the days and hours played, races, guild, subguilds, start and end dates for each character, and I checked out some of my storage requests when I couldn't remember why I'd stored 🙂

After it was in Excel it was pretty easy to manipulate, and I used a calendar app to figure out things like the number of days in a date range.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.