Hear me out... IC Contacts for various Clans on the forums

Started by Pariah, July 31, 2021, 08:17:11 PM

So I've noticed that sometimes to find out who is playing in X clan that you might want to buy a purple dingbat from is, you'll have to literally travel from location to location and search boards in various bars and gathering places to hope that X person from that clan wrote up an announcement post IG.

However, every clan you join, has a roll call thread to promote RP within that clan, so it will be like Generic Clan Role Call, Hey it's me, I play Amos the hunter, I normally play from 4pm EST to 11pm EST most days. And that's acceptable and common in almost every clan page I've ever stepped for onto.

Now that doesn't help indy folks trying to contact X homeboy.  So my thought is why don't they make a forum topic for IC knowledge you would know just by existing in Allanak/Luirs/Tuluk.  Because if I was a living breathing character in Allanak, I'd most likely know who the nobles or their aides are, I'd know the GMH folks or their employees.

So if we had a post that we could update, like Rollcall with something like:

New Sorcerer King operating out of X Pariah.
Normally play from 12-5pm EST M-F and all over on Saturday and Sunday.

Then people will know that Pariah is the sorcerer king they need to bend the knee to so that I don't OMFG magick them to death.  (I jest, but you get the idea, think of it in regards to finding Merchants of GMHs, Nobles for deals and such.)

If it's acceptable while I'm part of the clan, to do rolecalls, why couldn't someone in a leadership or public facing role do the same on the forums to anyone?

Clan only makes it easier for a few to find their leader, but open in the forums in a rolecall thread increases their success at roleplaying and interacting with folks magnitude more.

What do you think?
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

If Staff made these kinds of posts to preserve players' anonymity in a dedicated forum, I would be all for it.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

That seems totally reasonable, maybe the staffers could just update the list when they hire folks for their rolecalls, based on the availability they submitted.

Or perhaps have what you want to be listed in the role application they could copy and paste in the forum when you get selected to be Amos Salarr?
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I'm in favor of anything that lets people find rp easier, but I agree that posts should be anonymous from the player's perspective (though staff would still know who everyone is).

This is a really fucking good idea.

Maybe you're not actually a Pariah.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If it's for roll call leaders specifically, why not just make it an in game command that displays a quick list of who you would know as leaders in your hometown? Keep it locked a la directions, so you can't just go to a new city and find out names without roleplay. It can update as needed automatically this way as well, just have it display the name of people flagged as certain positions.

Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on July 31, 2021, 09:24:21 PM
If it's for roll call leaders specifically, why not just make it an in game command that displays a quick list of who you would know as leaders in your hometown? Keep it locked a la directions, so you can't just go to a new city and find out names without roleplay. It can update as needed automatically this way as well, just have it display the name of people flagged as certain positions.

Great idea as well, I just think there should be someway to know who's in the know.  I grew up in a large city, but I knew who the mayor was, I knew who the prominent business people were, just by passing of info naturally.

Think that these folks who are in positions of "power" or influence should be easily known without relying on them to make it to the Gaj or whatever to post a message.

This idea is solid. Makes sense for GMH leaders.

Good work.

I dig this.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I am totally on board with /this/.  I, however, wouldn't particularly want to have a list of names posted on the GDB for a city-state I'm not currently playing in.  For one it could invite abuse, folks using the knowledge without having actually heard of your PC and/or having put no effort into RPing out collecting that info (thinking this could deprive nobility from each city state the excitement of having their PC involve other PCs to learn this information for them.). But definitely agree with the above stated.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

Quote from: Attana on August 01, 2021, 09:33:13 AM

I am totally on board with /this/.  I, however, wouldn't particularly want to have a list of names posted on the GDB for a city-state I'm not currently playing in.  For one it could invite abuse, folks using the knowledge without having actually heard of your PC and/or having put no effort into RPing out collecting that info (thinking this could deprive nobility from each city state the excitement of having their PC involve other PCs to learn this information for them.). But definitely agree with the above stated.

Perhaps have a board that your forum account auto joins when you point Tuluk, Allanak,Luirs or Red Storm?

A geographical board for the area that's gated by having a character active and alive in said area?

In addition,

What about the reverse?

Have the In-Game Leader's Names of certain clans be shared on the Forums?

The current leader of Kadius is John
The current leader of Salarr is Sally
The current leader of Oash is Seb
The current Templar in Allanak is Justin
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on August 01, 2021, 11:11:30 AM
In addition,

What about the reverse?

Have the In-Game Leader's Names of certain clans be shared on the Forums?

The current leader of Kadius is John
The current leader of Salarr is Sally
The current leader of Oash is Seb
The current Templar in Allanak is Justin

I thought this is what the idea was? Name + usual playtimes.

I'd rather see more in-game focused ways of spreading information than more OOG ways.

I hate clan forums. I get why they exist, but I miss clan boards and I wish we had NPC messengers who could pass information, in a fully IC manner, between playtimes. People with literacy get the cheat code for this, since they can do just that. Illiterate people can't unless they find a go-between, and often there isn't one. I want information to be able to be overheard and for people to get their information in-game. I want to be able to track down Amos by checking with an NPC guard in-game or leaving a message, not by resorting to the OOC construct of PMing their player or hassling them on a role-call or rumor thread.

Turn all clan boards into psuedo-IC entities, such as "A few hunters loiter here, passing along news."

They'd work like regular rumor boards do now.

I'd love to go back to posting schedules, RPTs, and "what goes where" stuff on the clan boards rather than on the GDB.

Maybe even an IC implementation of who c, except not in real time, more in "have you seen Joe in the last week."

>check Malika
You check with the guards around the barracks...
... they were last seen 1 week and 8 days ago.

>check Amos
... which one? They know a few.

>check Amos burly dark haired man
... they were last seen 2 days ago.

Messengers would be trickier to implement but could operate similarly to the Way. I imagine the syntax something like:

>message Amos
A lanky messenger says, in sirihish:
     "Which one? I know a few.."

>message Amos burly dark haired man
A lanky messenger asks, in sirihish:
     "Okay, I can take a message. Who's it from?"

>tell messenger Captain Hardass.
You say to a lanky messenger, in sirihish:
     "Captain Hardass."

A lanky messenger asks, in sirihish:
     "Got it. What's the message?"

>tell messenger Hunter Joebob gathered up those branches you wanted.
You say to a lanky messenger, in sirihish:
     "Hunter Joebob gathered up those branches you wanted."

"I'll pass it on."

Later, Amos walks into the barracks and asks around...

>discuss lanky messages
     "Yes, I have 4 messages for you."

A lanky messenger whispers to you, in sirihish:
     "Captain Hardass said: Hunter Joebob gathered up those branches you wanted."

"Merchant Slickster said: Lord Templar Soandso purchased a full set of spiderweave armor. Your cut's in the blue chest."

"Crafter Cuddles said: I ran out of logs, when can we go get more?"

"An anonymous friend said: Crafter Cuddles is setting you up. They're cutting a deal with Murderface of the Bloody Bandanas to have your crew ambushed next time you go logging."

Everything D said, I agree with 1000%
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Damn, yeah. Love that idea. Delirium's wished for implementation would freaking rock.

On the other hand, you could go incognito on the GDB clan boards. I think the Clan boards are important on the GDB, because I can do a little work without logging into the game, or get some clarification from player to player without too much stuff in game. I absolutely would be furious to lose them.

Buuuttt ... on clan boards, the user name could be obfuscated from other posters, and basically everybody could be "someone", if we're worried about ... what ever we're worried about. I don't mind knowing who plays what, and I don't mind other people knowing who I'm playing. But if that's a concern, obfuscating usernames on the GDB clan boards would allow it to act precisely as it does now, with less understanding about who you're playing with.

Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I would 💯% love for it to be an IC thing, however there have been probably a dozen posts asking and recommending it and it's never hit the high enough priority or desire by staff to do it.

That's why I was saying forum board, way easier and hasn't been asked for yet a dozen times and ignored.

Quote from: Pariah on August 02, 2021, 02:03:26 AM
I would 💯% love for it to be an IC thing, however there have been probably a dozen posts asking and recommending it and it's never hit the high enough priority or desire by staff to do it.

That's why I was saying forum board, way easier and hasn't been asked for yet a dozen times and ignored.

Yeah I am in favor of D's idea because it's a reiteration of what I have asked for for years. Doesn't mean they won't do it now, I don't need credit, I just need good mechanisms.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

I would love it if I could just somehow anonymously pm a clan leader on the GDB with the contents "Hey, I want to join your clan but have no idea when you're online. Can we schedule a date?" and then you spend less time waiting around hoping someone happens to be logged in when you type contact