0-Karma Subclass Skills change suggestions

Started by mansa, July 29, 2021, 02:23:12 PM

July 29, 2021, 02:23:12 PM Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:42:16 PM by mansa
Subclass :

Bard
Instrument Making - Advanced
It's currently at journeyman, and I think it should be bumped up a proficiency tier.   Primarily because other 0karma subclasses have some crafting skills at Advanced.

Con Artist
Peek - Advanced
Peek is an observational skill, and having that skill without the steal skill is preventing more thefts.   Having peek plus watch is a huge benefit, though.

Crafter
Leatherworking - Journeyman (high)
Floristry - Journeyman (high)
Clubmaking - Remove
I feel adding Leatherworking without adding Tanning is a good tradeoff, as you'll still need to find a tanner for all the leather skins - but having leatherworking will give an additional money making options.  Being able to make leather bags and goods kinda fits the crafting idea in my head.
Floristry is another skill that doesn't add much to a character's skillset, but is a nice to have.  Making perfume is an added bonus, and if more people can make perfume, more people will use perfume.
Club making seems a bit off.  Remove it.

Guard
Blind Fighting - Journeyman
I feel the addition of Blind Fighting to the Guard subclass would give some additional combat benefits that doesn't necessarily have an overpowering affect on the class.

Jeweler
Stoneworking - Journeyman
They know how to work with hard stone, so they should know some things about regular stones

Linguist
Watch - Advanced
I just want more people to have higher watch

Mercenary
Guard - Journeyman
I think mercenaries should have some basic knowledge of the guard skill

Outlaw
Poisoning - Journeyman
I think some outlaws should know the basics of the poisoning skill.  Enough to know if an item is poisoned or not, and to know whether they can use/waste bloodburn on some items.  I think most with journeyman poisoning wouldn't attempt any more expensive / more deadly poisons.   This might make the subclass TOO POWERFUL.

Tailor
Armor Repair - Advanced
I think Tailors should get Armor Repair, because that skill sucks and more people should have to experience it.

Thief
Peek - Advanced
I think Peek should be a bit better than journeyman for this subclass.

Thug
Threaten - Journeyman
I think more people should get the Threaten skill.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I think Thug not getting "threaten" was an oversight. This is probably the most thematic skill you could give them.

Thank you for posting this, I've had similar thoughts and you took the time to actually write it all out.

I agree with all this and just wanted to say if you're going to give outlaws poisons raiders should have it as well.  Raiders, if taken literally, should have a few more survival skills imo as they would naturally be on the lam.

Quote from: Bebop on July 29, 2021, 04:38:52 PM
I agree with all this and just wanted to say if you're going to give outlaws poisons raiders should have it as well.  Raiders, if taken literally, should have a few more survival skills imo as they would naturally be on the lam.

Raider is a class.  :)  Post that suggestion here: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,57046.0.html
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Physician subclass has the same level of bandage as everyone else with bandage. Except laborer and stalker who get master for some reason. I feel if one should get master bandage it's something meant to be someone with some semblance of "medical" training.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on July 29, 2021, 06:53:55 PM
Physician subclass has the same level of bandage as everyone else with bandage. Except laborer and stalker who get master for some reason. I feel if one should get master bandage it's something meant to be someone with some semblance of "medical" training.
Whoa. Yeah, they should get it at a higher master than anybody else, really. Whoa.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

A little off topic but roughrider still needs direction sense to be worth 1 karma.

August 13, 2021, 07:07:27 PM #8 Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:11:59 PM by Inks
It gets r-ruh-ranger quit though. I still use some of the 0 karma subs.

I wouldn't be against any of mansa's changes, but outlaw and thief are stronk enough. The strength of thief over other classes is sleight of hand, and outlaw is the only sub with wild stealth and crafting skills.

The only subclass with ranger quit is wastelander.

August 13, 2021, 07:54:46 PM #10 Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 01:00:31 AM by Inks
Quote from: Dresan on August 13, 2021, 07:49:51 PM
The only subclass with ranger quit is wastelander.

Oh, yeah. Still. Mount taming and charge is pretty cool. Journeyman dsense wouldn't go awry, I agree, but is a solid choice for military roles.

To anyone who doesn't remember, many subs including ext subs were reduced to advanced from master to better emphasise main class choice.

I'll miss you, master block/parry protector and master sneak/ hide slipknife but I know why you are gone 8)

Give the Thief subclass city listen! They are just an inferior version of Cutpurse.