Elves and Ride

Started by Ulga, March 13, 2021, 04:03:26 AM

Heyhey! Ran into another stumper! What's with elves getting the Ride skill via a class/subclass? Is there a purpose? Is it vestigial? Whats up?

I always thought it was partially unintended, partially intended so the occassional exceptional elf could maybe tame a mount of their own.

Because the skill comes from the class/subclass, and there is no coded gate on race to prevent certain skills.  A bit like a giant can get sneak, even though...you know how comedic that would be!

But the delves tame mounts and pull them along behind, so it might be connected to that?
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

An elf can use the ride skill to try to tame a mount, as long as they don't ride it from room to room.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Keep in mind the "restriction" on elves riding mounts is an IC/cultural one, not a coded one.

Quote from: valeria on March 13, 2021, 09:33:46 AM
An elf can use the ride skill to try to tame a mount, as long as they don't ride it from room to room.

Is taming based off your ride skill, and isn't it only possible to improve this by riding? It's always bummed me out that this necessarily limits the ability for elves to tame many creatures.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

How would you even tame a creature if you've never experienced what it's like to ride it? There's a limit to how much you can learn just by watching others, and that's probably reflected in why elves will hit a wall pretty quickly if they try to tame a creature just by having watched others in the past (starting skill and no ways of increasing it).

In Armageddon you can't tame anything that you can't ride code-wise, so that probably takes care of "Yes, but elves should be able to tame hawks and snakes, you don't have to ride something to tame it."
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

There's also certain situations where a mount will not follow you and then it's okay for an elf to mount and ride it for one room even though codedly they did ride it doesn't count rpwise because the mount wouldn't have been able to follow them due to some weird code interaction.

If it bothers you, send in a request to have it removed.

Though, as others have said, it is cultural. So....
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

March 15, 2021, 08:38:57 AM #9 Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:44:20 AM by Inks
If the subclass can tame mounts elves are allowed to use the ride skill to tame (and only to tame, jump off after taming). Desert elves are also allowed to tame beasts of burden. That is it though. Personally I would ask imms to remove it as that Ride (novice) being there would annoy me and make me feel like a breed.

You also cannot title a mount unless you are sitting on it. This is another reason for an elf to hop onto a mount for a moment.

In all honesty. I've long advocated for a mechanic that would remove riding skill from an elf and give an equivalent skill level of climb.

Quote from: Dar on March 16, 2021, 07:50:57 AM
In all honesty. I've long advocated for a mechanic that would remove riding skill from an elf and give an equivalent skill level of climb.

+1 I think elves are given steal with a similar rationale to this but I would love it if they got a movement based skill (climb or sneak) to make up for the inability to use a movement based skill (ride)
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Elves that can pick classes with ride already get compensated by another natural, movement-based skill. Ride seems pretty vestigial, the most interaction I've really seen elves have with mounts is using them, losing them, talking shit about them, and occasionally stealing unattended mounts.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Human: Can you watch my mount?

Elf: I don't want your stupid kank.

Human: Then you won't steal it.Bye!

Elf: *steals mount*

My record was 11 minutes out of chargen. Took me 11 minutes since the creation of my elven character before I conned my first mount. Conned it too! Not just a grab/run.