How does armor work?

Started by Ulga, March 02, 2021, 09:14:12 AM

Hey everyone. So, I thought I understood how armor worked in regards to rolls, but now I'm not sure. I thought that armor on a body location reduced the damage done to that body location when it is hit. But, there is some armor in the game that i've seen that doesnt go on body-parts that are hit, to my knowledge. If it was like DnD, total armor value would raise AC, but I'm pretty sure thats now how its done in Arm.
So, whats the deal?

What sorts of things are you referring to? Shoulder plates? Faceguards?
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Yeah, stuff like that. Shoulderplates/pauldrons, faceguards, backplates, breechguard (pelvis)

We might need staff to weigh in on this, I remember this was discussed in discord two years ago or so and the response from staff was vague. I would also love a clear answer on this.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Per help armor, your understanding is correct. Location only and no general AC.

breechguard is for the waist location, which if you've sparred you'll notice is a place you can get hit on.

backplates and faceguards have specific uses for threats that directly affect those locations. You are correct that they are not locations you'd get hit on in normal sparring.

I think that's all I can safely say.

> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Oh, nice! Thanks. That helps a bit.

Sorry if I'm prodding into secret stuff, btw!

March 02, 2021, 10:34:50 AM #6 Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 10:36:29 AM by valeria
This tracks with my experience.  Also, I can be wearing badass plate armor everywhere, but if I'm not wearing a helmet, my head is going to get rocked if it gets hit.  If you're wearing armor in a location that won't be hit (pauldrons, faceplates), it's probably just decorative.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

That was the implication when this was brought up a while ago, that shoulder plates are only decorative. Would love clarity/confirmation of that. It sucks for this to be an insider tip only veterans know (or assume) which is in no way clear in game.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

It's just logic.

If: armor provides damage reduction to the place hit, as provided in the helpfile
And if: you do not get hit on the shoulder
Then: shoulder armor cannot provide damage reduction

I don't think it's secret, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have an extra sentence in the helpfile :shrug emoticon:  Maybe put in a Website > Bug/Typo/Idea request?
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

It's not secret, but it's wholly illogical and could get a newbie killed.

Why is it illogical: pauldrons and shoulder guards are some of the most valuable pieces of armor someone can have in reality, and they were often thick and sturdy so that you don't effing catch a lance there. Of course only the rich would have full suits of armor, so let's talk poorer infantry: infantry often just had bands of metal along their shoulders and arms because again, shoulder armor is immensely important because you cannot fight or work easily without your arms. Yet it is the most worthless armor in game. Illogical.

How it can get a newbie killed: encumbrance matters just as much as armor for survival in this game. If this armor is just dead weight, it's only purpose is [1] decoration [2] getting newbies killed.

Either:
- Document that some armor is only decorative.
- Make shoulders hit locations
- Add some other AC benefit or benefit to this armor.

It's something that's now been discussed a few times over the years, and as I always say, better to fix these things than be jaded and blasé about it.

So, this is kinda huge information.
If that is true about pauldrons.... Why do we have an item trap in game? Virtually, they are great armor. Numbers-wise, now, it seems like they are an expensive debuff.
That kinda sucks lol.

I don't want to rush to assume anything and we need clarity from staff on it. You can see what veteran assumptions are.

I would love it if shoulder guards gave some blanket AC bonus and weren't associated with a new hit location. If staff could offer any clarity (maybe they have added this AC effect since it last was discussed) that would rock.

March 02, 2021, 12:13:32 PM #12 Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 12:15:23 PM by mansa
This thread summarizes some thoughts of the players to the staff while they were working on harmonizing some of the armor items:
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,54534.0.html

This post in particular is quite enlightening:
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,54534.msg1029853.html#msg1029853

Quote from: Brokkr on April 11, 2019, 02:34:15 PM
A maybe more readable version of stuff.

HeadNeckArmsWristHandsBodyLegsFeetWaistShoulderAnkle
Cloth0.500.251.000.250.252.001.250.750.250.250.25
Cheap Leather0.750.502.000.500.754.002.751.250.750.500.50
Wood/Bone1.501.004.000.751.258.005.252.751.251.000.75
Leather1.751.254.501.001.509.006.003.001.501.251.00
Heavy Leather/Studded2.501.506.001.252.0012.008.004.002.001.501.25
Cheap Chitin/Cheap Obsidian2.751.756.751.252.2513.509.004.502.251.751.25
Chitin/Obsidian3.252.008.251.752.7516.5011.005.502.752.001.75
Shell5.003.2512.502.504.2525.0016.758.254.253.252.50
Heavy Shell7.004.2517.253.505.7534.5023.0011.505.754.253.50
Quote from: Brokkr on April 11, 2019, 02:42:35 PM
Note that the last two, shoulder and ankle, aren't really armor spots, since you don't get hit there, but folks have over time made armor for them so we included them.
Emphasis mine

So, to summarize:
Items worn on these locations (the HIT LOCATIONS) have some "ArmorClass" associated with it:
Head, Neck, Arms, Wrist, Hands, Body, Legs, Feet, Waist.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

help 'armor'

"This means that if your character wears some armor on their arms, only their arms will be protected. This system allows you to manage the weight of armor your character is carrying fairly well. Note that such ideas as Armor Class are not present in Armageddon.

"During combat, specific hit locations are determined, and if there is armor on that body part, some protection may be afforded. The armor may block none, some, or all of the damage, but in any case, be aware that the character will still probably take stun damage."

However, in 'help wear locaton'

help 'wear location'

"... Shoulder:
   Mostly decorative.  Patches, braids, and epaulettes. Can be worn simply on 'shoulder', and first empty shoulder will be used, or 'left shoulder', 'right shoulder'. Two possible."

My suggestion is to link 'help wear location' to 'help armor'
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Good suggestion LB, but also Ulga's reaction was good. Why are we just letting these items that are "secretly" (AKA illogically and unrealistically) a debuff continue to... just be a debuff?

Would love to see it addressed!!

March 02, 2021, 01:56:25 PM #15 Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 01:58:50 PM by The7DeadlyVenomz
Uh. So ... there are items that affect certain resistances that are not worn on hit locations. "Decorative" items may affect those overall character resistances.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on March 02, 2021, 01:56:25 PM
Uh. So ... there are items that affect certain resistances that are not worn on hit locations. "Decorative" items may affect those overall character resistances.

Do they? Do they??

Valeria, like many smart vets, implied they are pointless. Mansa said we have data on the weight of these items but no explicit data whether they are useful. LBalboa pointed out docs imply it's also just decorative.

We need a staffer to weigh in or else the truth here is hard to suss out. Maybe you are right, but data isn't showing it so far.

In some cases, yes, explicitly, as long as they went into the game as I designed them. Since I was always told when something I wanted to do couldn't be done, I assume they did.

So. Given my experience, I do believe that marginal enhancement exists for these various things. All of them, I don't know, but some of them, yes.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on March 02, 2021, 02:48:26 PM
as long as they went into the game as I designed them

Again this clause subtly indicates we need confirmation from staff. I have been noticing more pushback on crafts, if anything because staff are being more transparent about what is and is not codedly possible for crafts.

Basically I just want to know if those scrab shell shoulder guards are worth a damn or just dead weight.

I just wanna know if I have to debuff myself in the pursuit of fashion.

A gigantic main description and having all of your wear_locations equipped with something "exotic" (I would highly suggest an hawk for your shoulder slot) is all that matters on Armageddon.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I want to address one (and only one) specific thing: the whole part of this thread involving "debuffing."

This is not a thing. There is a huge difference between "wearing decorative things that take up wear slots and have weight to them, therefore contributing to encumbrance" and "wearing things that remove benefits that you did have, and no longer have, as a direct result of wearing that item."

A PC's natural encumbrance is not a buff. Therefore, adding weight to increase encumbrance is not a debuff.

That's my one and only contribution to this thread. Carry on!
Halaster — Today at 10:29 AM
I hate to say this
[10:29 AM]
I'll be quoted
[10:29 AM]
but Hestia is right

Fair enough! My main focus on that sentiment was caused by the fact that it would act as armor virtually, but results in only negative effects code-side (through encumbrance).

We dont have to use the word debuff.

It would be weird that a character could wear a large piece of heavy armor on their shoulders (or elsewhere, for that matter!) and have it play zero part in combat.
If it /does/ play a part, that would be good to know.

To be fair, if you are at "light", and then you put on shoulder pads and you are still at "light", nothing changes even if they did absolutely nothing.

March 02, 2021, 10:26:15 PM #24 Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:00:51 AM by Inks
If you are unconcious piercing weapons target the back by default. Some people who are afraid of spooky buckstabu wear backplates. A lot of random things have a specific useful effect that makes sense if you look at the item. If you stay at the same encumbrance level it doesnt affect your character carrying more. Please never say debuff again it makes me cry blood when Arm is talked about like it is an MMO.

Fashion is power  8)