Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game

Started by nessalin, January 19, 2021, 01:34:05 PM

+1 to carry command just for the immersion improvement to the echo in those situations.

One rough bit of jade = a rough bit of jade
Two rough bits of jade = a couple rough bits of jade
3-5 rough bits of jade = a few rough bits of jade

But why the fuck isn't 8 rough bits of jade a byte of jade?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Fully consistent fall warnings. There are at least three kinds:

(1) By naming convention:
> look s
South of here is Over the Edge.
[Near]
Nothing.

(2) When you look <direction>; e.g.:
> s
Some Place [N, E, S, W]
   Sand. Scrub. Rocks. It smells like dust and sweat.
> lo s
To the south, the dessert plunges into a vast crevasse. Do you feel lucky?
[Near]
Nothing.

(3) When you enter a room with fall-danger exits; e.g.:
> s
The ground crumbles and falls away treacherously to the south!
Some Place [N, E, S, W]
   Sand. Scrub. Rocks. It smells like dust and sweat.
> lo s
South of here is A Crumbly Edge.
[Near]
Nothing.

My choice would be "everything follows method #1 + method #2" (consistent naming of fall rooms; consistent warning when you look). I find #3 easy to miss. But making everything consistent, one way or another, would help this player's cognition.

For triple bonus points: a mode-toggle that can prevent you from attempting to enter climb rooms (similar to how follow currently stops you when the leader enters a climb room).

Obviously there's a game design aspect here...some people find this kind of random danger fun. So that's a decision to be made. (If we wanted to play up the danger, making everything less consistent would be more to the point.)

I can't help but add onto people's ideas at times because it spurs on my own creativity on a subject:

Some falls shouldn't be able to be seen. Direction-sense should have an extra effect on whether or not you can see certain falls in the distance. Pit falls in the desert should be harder to notice compared to the edge of a cliff.

Pit falls should randomly generate throughout the desert regions. The sands always shift, new crevasses form and fill over time.

Let us use GUARD NONE while seated or whatever. Being unable to START guarding somewhere while seated seems fine, but being unable to cut it out is a bit annoying.

Similarly, let us guard a direction even if the current room lacks such an exit. Some critters instaflee, and it'd be nice to guard a direction in advance to keep them from just zooming past you.

(sorry for the repeat from another thread)

I was a bit jarred from the message it echoed to me:
You can now quit.

I think there might be a better message.
Your recent combat excitement has worn off.  You can now quit normally.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Hey, can the Kadius furniture shop rotate with the months too? Some staples are cool and good to have all the time tho.

On that point, can the Kadian shop in Luir's do the same?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Make the chase command, y'know, work? Make it so the chaser doesn't become too dumb to follow a guy who types flee

to add onto the newly added ability to search by wear location (which fucking rules):

allow searching by damage types, since this information can be pretty hard to decipher by looking at item sdesc and the added convenience would be great either way.

allow searching by etwo, unless that's already covered by ep/es in some fashion.

thank you kindly.

Quote from: mansa on May 23, 2021, 11:58:59 AM

You can now quit.

Something more in character would be good I think.

Like, "Your pulse slows down as the excitement from past combat leaves your system." or some flavor.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on May 26, 2021, 11:10:41 AM
Quote from: mansa on May 23, 2021, 11:58:59 AM

You can now quit.

Something more in character would be good I think.

Like, "Your pulse slows down as the excitement from past combat leaves your system." or some flavor.

The current message, when you try and quit, is "You are too excited to quit.", so it would make more sense if it contained that flavour.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

May 27, 2021, 01:32:08 PM #238 Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 01:34:12 PM by Brytta Léofa
Would be nice to have a visual BEEP option for folks who (whether due to hearing loss/absence or computer sound issues) can't hear it.

*beep*
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on May 27, 2021, 01:32:08 PM
Would be nice to have a visual BEEP option for folks who (whether due to hearing loss/absence or computer sound issues) can't hear it.

*beep*

+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Add brief inventory for silencing rearranging inventory messages.

Add brief equipment for silencing rearranging equipment.

remove the tentmaking skill and just put those recipies into toolmaking and let dune trader start with clothworking

all saves as toggles
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

A command for crafted items that tells what other items are used with it.

For example if a widget is made with a bone widge and a stone gidget.

It would be cool if once you crafted the bone widget you could do something like:

Analyze Widget:

This is made with a short length of bone, in conjunction with a hand sized black rock, it will create a widget.

I can't tell you how long I run around with a random weapon or armor part in my inventory and never figure out what to craft to create the finished product.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on June 03, 2021, 01:36:51 PM
all saves as toggles
Yes. This, very fucking much.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

have incapacitated mobs bleed out over a (short) period of time.

there can be a lot of just mortally wounded scorpions/snakes/kagors just shitting up the beautiful scenery.

Quote from: Khorm on June 05, 2021, 01:01:46 AM
have incapacitated mobs bleed out over a (short) period of time.

there can be a lot of just mortally wounded scorpions/snakes/kagors just shitting up the beautiful scenery.
I like this.

Devour.

Again.

;D

a line in assess (maybe just verbose assess) on items that can be crafted with themselves into dye

assess -verbose black.smooth.stone
bla bla bla
could be used to make dye
bla bla bla