Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game

Started by nessalin, January 19, 2021, 01:34:05 PM

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on April 15, 2021, 06:54:05 PM
Request: an outfit code. This solves a real problem, by making it easier for people to codely reflect their state of dress, making them more or less vulnerable. It also makes it easier to change clothes and wear different outfits, meaning people can spend more money on clothes and use those items more easily.
Quote from: Barsook on April 15, 2021, 06:55:59 PM
MEGA +1

MEGA +2

I don't WANT to wear armor all the time. I wear armor all the time because I don't want to spend 5 minutes changing out and another 5 changing back in for every 20 minute "night at the club."

Don't care how it's done, but please make changing clothes easier.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on April 15, 2021, 07:07:39 PM
Request: an outfit code. This solves a real problem, by making it easier for people to codely reflect their state of dress, making them more or less vulnerable. It also makes it easier to change clothes and wear different outfits, meaning people can spend more money on clothes and use those items more easily.
MEGA +1

MEGA +2

I don't WANT to wear armor all the time. I wear armor all the time because I don't want to spend 5 minutes changing out and another 5 changing back in for every 20 minute "night at the club."

Create an alias. Sure, it's tedious, but you only need to type one command to remove a list of equipment.

the ability to filter out forage results. like instead of forage stones for sandstone you could forage stones without sandstone and stop picking up millions of pieces of sandstone that you're just going to either immediately junk or drop.

It would be wonderful if quit ooc refreshed upon passing through a room you can quit in.

Quote from: Lotion on April 23, 2021, 02:14:01 PM
It would be wonderful if quit ooc refreshed upon passing through a room you can quit in.

+1. The "hang on, lemme quit out here real quick" jig doesn't add anything to the game.

Quote from: Cabooze on April 16, 2021, 04:02:46 AM
Quote from: Brytta Léofa on April 15, 2021, 07:07:39 PM
MEGA +1

MEGA +2

Create an alias. Sure, it's tedious, but you only need to type one command to remove a list of equipment.

I know this was meant to be helpful, but this is a thread asking for quality of life improvements, which is antithetical to asking players to learn how to do things or make work-arounds to accomplish fairly standard code in a lot of games... Which means accessibility for non-savvy players, which means more clothes will be sold, which means more armor might be sold, which are all really viable money sinks. Also having a command in game promotes a culture of 'don't wear armor and hold weapons if you wouldn't be,' instead of having two players that have aliases made up for realism purposes.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on April 23, 2021, 07:07:47 PM
I know this was meant to be helpful, but this is a thread asking for quality of life improvements, which is antithetical to asking players to learn how to do things or make work-arounds to accomplish fairly standard code in a lot of games... Which means accessibility for non-savvy players, which means more clothes will be sold, which means more armor might be sold, which are all really viable money sinks. Also having a command in game promotes a culture of 'don't wear armor and hold weapons if you wouldn't be,' instead of having two players that have aliases made up for realism purposes.

Plus, an in-game command can behave much better than a client-side alias: it can can access objects by ID rather than by keyword. (This has definitely nothing to do with my irrational hate for doing MUD client scripting.)

The first MUD I played (Deathwish? named Azure Odyssey at the time I think?) had this and it was cool. It might have been the coolest thing about that MUD, since it was really just a big H&S Diku. :D

Not the same MUD, but basically:
Quote from: http://erionmud.com/helpfiles.php?keyword=eqsets%20equipment%20sets&show=true
Syntax: eqset list (<name>)
        eqset wear <name>
        eqset save <name>
        eqset rename <old name> <new name>
        eqset delete <name>

This feature allows you to create up to 3 equipment sets that can be
quickly worn with the command 'eqset wear <name>'.  To create a new set,
wear the equipment you want in the set and type 'eqset save <name>'.  For
example, 'eqset save defensive' for a set of defensive equipment.  To update
a set that already exists, wear the equipment you want to be in the set and
save it as usual.  It will ask you to confirm as it will overwrite the old
set. 

The command 'eqset list' will list your sets by name, and 'eqset list
<name>' will list what items are in a particular set. 

Items in a set can be placed inside bags or simply be in the inventory.
When you type 'eqset wear <name>', it will silently remove your current
equipment and wear items from the desired set. 

Add role descriptions to keywords for sponsored roles.

Ie, templars automatically have the templar keyword, Byn sergeants
have Byn Sergeant added, GMH agents have 'agent' or 'dealer'
keywords, other well-known roles have them added.

If I can randomly psionically contact to an elf on the  other side of
the world, it seems to me that if I just wanted to reach out to a
random templar or merchant, I'd be able to with mixed results. A
new arrival to the city should be able to 'contact byn sergeant' and
have one in his mind, it's no different than trying to 'contact dwarf'
or 'contact green eyed.' Mores specific than those, actually.
sad

If it's dark and someone has a light source and enters a room next to you, you're alerted to the light source.

"To the north, you can see a flickering light."
sad

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on April 24, 2021, 03:22:01 PM
If it's dark and someone has a light source and enters a room next to you, you're alerted to the light source.

"To the north, you can see a flickering light."
If you watch a direction you will see this.

If someone lights a torch two rooms away the east while you watch east you will see
far to the east something filled with yellow light

As I was writing it I was only 90% sure this wasn't a thing. Thanks!
sad

Allow us to choose certain words to not be mangled by language code. This especially comes into play for made up IC words such as prala, prada, yajah, etc. If an elf says yajah in allundean or sirihish it would still ICly sound the same.

example syntax
tell man (^me words flowing together as #me speaks quickly) You're just a ^yajah^. I'm not going to give you a cure for free. Give me a good reason to not wait until you're dead and take your nice boots.

Quote from: Veselka on April 27, 2021, 01:45:51 AM
Quote from: Lotion on April 26, 2021, 07:50:11 PM
Allow us to choose certain words to not be mangled by language code. This especially comes into play for made up IC words such as prala, prada, yajah, etc. If an elf says yajah in allundean or sirihish it would still ICly sound the same.

example syntax
tell man (^me words flowing together as #me speaks quickly) You're just a ^yajah^. I'm not going to give you a cure for free. Give me a good reason to not wait until you're dead and take your nice boots.

This is a great idea.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Have the "poison" delay come after the game informs you that you can't poison your boots, or whatever other thing you've miskeyed.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Barsook on April 27, 2021, 05:04:32 AM

example syntax

This is a great idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

April 28, 2021, 02:17:42 PM #190 Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:29:36 PM by HortaCulture
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on April 28, 2021, 09:51:24 AM
Quote from: Barsook on April 27, 2021, 05:04:32 AM

example syntax

This is a great idea.
I love this idea.

Edit to add: This could also work for things like "Shhhhh!" or "Aiiiiii!" or other sounds people produce that wouldn't be garbled based on what language you speak.

I know it opens a hole to circumvent language code, but you could technically do that with an emote anyway, and we also have drawing which could easily be abused to pretend to write, etc.

Love this. I think that certain words should probably be codified - ie, yazah, yajah, prala, bahak, etc, as mentioned.

Words that are in documentation as part of that language should be auto-translated.

And then on top of that, the ability to add others, like repeating someone's name back to them or learning language RP.
sad

example syntax

We already had this in the past with capitalization.

Example:

You say, "My name is JACK."

They see: "Mx xxxx xx JACK."

The staff removed it.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on April 28, 2021, 02:31:53 PM
Love this. I think that certain words should probably be codified - ie, yazah, yajah, prala, bahak, etc, as mentioned.

Words that are in documentation as part of that language should be auto-translated.

And then on top of that, the ability to add others, like repeating someone's name back to them or learning language RP.
I think simply allowing players to specify parts of a say to be ungarbled would be the most elegant solution, and it would allow allow people who make up their own words for a virtual tribe or whatnot to also bypass language without having to ask staff to allow their fake words to become real fake words too and then probably get told no.

Rather than just toggling, could we add additional functionality for:

nosave combat on
nosave combat off
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

April 29, 2021, 01:46:35 PM #195 Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:50:28 PM by Brytta Léofa
Quote from: mansa on April 29, 2021, 01:26:22 PM

nosave combat on
nosave combat off

The ability [for experienced combatants] to hit a sparring mate without WTFBBQing them would be a game changer in a good way.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on April 29, 2021, 01:46:35 PM
Quote from: mansa on April 29, 2021, 01:26:22 PM

nosave combat on
nosave combat off

The ability to hit a sparring mate without WTFBBQing them would be a game changer in a good way.

nosave combat already exists - it's just it's a toggle.

Do you remember when 'listen' was just a toggle?   And then it got the ability to type 'listen on' in addition to just 'listen' ?  That way you don't turn it off when you didn't want it off.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

nosave combat should toggle back to 'off' when you log off.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

There use to be a serious problem with silt skimmers. If three characters boarded a silt skimmer, the first one aboard defaulted to the pilot. These three characters sail into the deep silt and are attacked. If the pilot is killed and the other two defeat the attacker, there was no syntax/code for one of the surviors to assume the position of pilot without stepping off the skimmer which can't be done in deep silt. Having a command to move into the pilot position without stepping off would be very helpful.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

Yeah. That skimmer bug was nightmare fuel out there. Also just really annoying when a crew member is afk when you are exploring an island and the captain steps back on and is unable to pilot the skimmer, even though the crew member wouldn't have actually changed location on the skimmer they default to captain and stay that way.