Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game

Started by nessalin, January 19, 2021, 01:34:05 PM

In addition to the suggestion of "get all.boots chest" just echoing once, "Amos gets many pairs of boots from a chest."

Some sort of way to get a specific number of an item. "get feather.2 chest" ... "Amos gets a pair of feathers from a chest."

Syntax I don't necessarily like, but can't think of better things. But if this is get and put, would clean up so much spam.
21sters Unite!

Yes, please! Can we have a echo for multiple items and have a way to take only a certain number also?

Also eat all.meat (or any food keyword) and have an echo of stuffing it in in your mouth?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

If you're watching a shadow that you spotted with scan, you can shoot at it from another room. However, you can't throw anything at it. You always get a message like 'Nobody like that to the west', even if you're watching the shadow and can spot it every single time you look in that direction. Targeting with another ranged weapon skill other than throw works just fine. I think this is a bug, since this used to work even with throw, then suddenly stopped working one day.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Let change language work when you're in delay from an action, like say/tell/think does. Right now, you can't use it if you're in delay from walking/attacking and it makes for bizarre situations where you need to ask someone you're following to stop walking so fast so you can remember how to speak Allundean.  ;D

Possibly could design something like a thin 'gemed' circlet of obsidian.  Wear location for hair.  Can RP having it on under a helm. Replaceable gems, having gems for various links/blocks.     

Any thoughts on this?

Quote from: Cordon on February 17, 2021, 07:54:34 AM
Possibly could design something like a thin 'gemed' circlet of obsidian.  Wear location for hair.  Can RP having it on under a helm. Replaceable gems, having gems for various links/blocks.     

Any thoughts on this?

Kind of like ability to color, but instead of dying, you imbed gems and get a 'gemmed'  adjective to an item. Or bejeweled, if you use multiple?

Am I understanding this correctly?

When you age and your endurance goes up, HP never goes up with it. You might age from poor to good endurance and still be stuck with that minimum HP roll you got starting out. This sucks.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

It'd be nice if the 'stop' command also interrupted foraging/crafting/etc.

Quote from: Nao on February 17, 2021, 06:30:34 PM
When you age and your endurance goes up, HP never goes up with it. You might age from poor to good endurance and still be stuck with that minimum HP roll you got starting out. This sucks.
Ooo ... that does suck.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Nao on February 17, 2021, 06:30:34 PM
If that's really the case you could probably submit it as a bug.

Suggested from Discord:

Have the game echo back exactly what sdesc of items you're using when you're looking to craft an item.

>craft feather 2.feather 3.feather
Using:
a red-dyed feather
a blue-dyed feather
a silver-dyed feather

You can craft the following:
#1 - a triple-twist colorful feather hat.
#2 - a red, blue, and silver feather twist.

>craft feather 2.feather 3.feather 4.feather 5.feather
Using:
a stiff white feather
a stiff white feather
a stiff white feather
a stiff white feather
a stiff white feather

#1 - a small bundle of white feathers
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on February 18, 2021, 10:35:48 PM
Suggested from Discord:

Have the game echo back exactly what sdesc of items you're using when you're looking to craft an item.

Using:
a red-dyed feather
a blue-dyed feather
a silver-dyed feather

Using:
a stiff white feather
a stiff white feather
a stiff white feather
a stiff white feather
a stiff white feather

I'd probably want to adjust the output like this:

Using: a red-dyed feather, a blue-dyed feather, and a silver-dyed feather -

Using: 5 stiff white feathers -

... but I do love the idea 100%, and any iteration would be awesome.

Crafting outputting what is being crafting would be wonderful. So I second Mansa's post. Third? Fourth?

I think the main benefit would also be for when the crafting fails. Due to crafting shifting item order around. Sometimes it's hard to know what you are targeting and it get confusing when something should be working and it's not. An echo that says what I'm trying to craft with would be wonderful.
21sters Unite!

Negative keywords while foraging would be wonderful.

>forage wood -fuckwood

Saves a lot of junking for scenarios when you want everything BUT the knotty piece of fuckwood.

'value -market (object)'

Returns a numerical value that gets closer and closer to the coin value of an item at the nearest vendor with more success.

Helpful for merchant characters to guess the local coin value of an item on the fly while the player is in mercantile RP.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Hack isn't usable while mounted and it makes zero sense as disarming and riposting require closer proximity than hacking does. Fix pls.

Can the value skill have a boost based on your crafting skill for the item your valuing?

Most of the "master" crafting subguilds don't have value. It'd be really nice that if you were a master crafter you could perhaps accurately value the goods you create.

Also unsure if connected to value or not, but a characters seemingly inability to gauge weight or how much an item holds seems weird, and varies by SOO much each check. if it is value, the fact that value is not given to many people except the "merchants" I'm not sure this should be connected to it. Nor do I think it should fluctuate much if at all. Be wrong sure. But be relatively consistent.
21sters Unite!

In shops...for > view <item> to also play back the sdesc of said item along with the mdesc and the rest of the info.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

A way to "link" a container so that it's always the first item in your list based on it's keywords.  So for example "link bag".  Now that bag is always going to be 1.bag for you no matter where in the room it is.  So you could put all your crafting materials in it, and craft from that without having to fight with searching through containers.  Obviously this link would go away when you left the room with your linked container.

Quote from: Halasturd on February 26, 2021, 10:02:26 AM
A way to "link" a container so that it's always the first item in your list based on it's keywords.  So for example "link bag".  Now that bag is always going to be 1.bag for you no matter where in the room it is.  So you could put all your crafting materials in it, and craft from that without having to fight with searching through containers.  Obviously this link would go away when you left the room with your linked container.

> title bag lootbag
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

NAME command that helps you remember names. Two different uses:
1. adds (name) to kinds of objects - every time you see an object of that kind, the name you gave it is appended.
2. adds (name) to specific PCs/NPCs whenever their sdesc is visible (so not when hooded, visored, masked, etc.).

Does not persist across characters, but perhaps previous characters' name assignments could be viewed on the website (like bios are). (It's an interesting snapshot, and you know you're going to be keeping some of those plant names in a text file otherwise.)

> name plant bimbal
You now know a twisted, wiry cactus as 'bimbal'.
> look
You're In The Dessert [NEWS]
So much sand.
A twisted, wiry cactus (bimbal) clings to the sandy sand.

> name red pantera
You now know a brutish, red-maned humanoid as 'pantera'.
> look
A brutish, red-maned humanoid (pantera) stalks across the dunes.

> name muscular amos
You now know the tall, muscular man as 'amos'.

Man, with this I wouldn't even NEED a MUD client. I could just dial ginka with my brain.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

The option for verbose room descriptions, which include the weather, lighting conditions (and possibly sources), and population (in a room that is flagged as having a population level):

Stonecarver's Road, Adjoining a Small Plaza [E, W]
   The rounded flagstones of Stonecarver's Road, the ragged cracks
separating them barely visible beneath the layers of sand and dirt, lead
through the Commoner's Quarter, winding through a ramshackle collection of
mud brick houses and hide tents.  The air is still and thick, dense with
both the city's odors and the constant clamor of its inhabitants.
   The sun and one moon brightens this area considerably. There is a slight
breeze blowing from the west. It is very hot today. There are a few people
passing through the area.
A tarp hangs from the northern wall, staked into the ground at an angle.
The lanky, dark-haired boy is standing here.

This would also be an appendage to the LOOK DIRECTION command, which I'd like to note, I wish were reversed in order of the rooms seen:
To the north is the Main Bazaar. Torchlight brightens this area dimly. There
is a heavy wind blowing from the north. It is a cool night. There are almost
no people passing through the area.
[Near]
Nothing.
[Far]
A slim, brown-haired merchant walks here, a pack on her shoulder.
[Very far]
Nothing.

Short Descriptions for doors:

You open the heavy, bone-banded, oak door.

You close the set of towering, red-painted gates.

If possible, looking into rooms that echo to other rooms. And checking that the MUD only sends one thing per action. Instead duplicating things. It gets spammy.
21sters Unite!