Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game

Started by nessalin, January 19, 2021, 01:34:05 PM

wear all <container to get clothes/equipment from>
remove all <container to put it in>

(guys I don't even mudsex anymore; clothes are still cool)
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

I mentioned it in a previous post but I realized it was a secondary thing and was unclear.

When checking to see what you can make using the craft command, it'd be nice if the list that is displayed is the actually sdesc of the item to be made. Currently I don't even know how some of the descriptions pop up.

if I craft log, I might get "a smooth plank" but when I actually craft it I get "a plank of agafari"

This is confusing as sometimes it seems like I might have choose the wrong option and makes me really weary of using materials and getting something I didn't exactly expect. Which I already accept is going to happen sometimes as some sdescs make me think Cool I'll like that, then when I make the item and view the ldesc I'm like, oh this isn't what I wanted. But I don't know a good way around that one.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on February 07, 2021, 04:58:42 PM
wear all <container to get clothes/equipment from>
remove all <container to put it in>

(guys I don't even mudsex anymore; clothes are still cool)

Dress and undress would be amazing for utility... and enabling people to easily change outfits means more people are going to sink money into more outfits. Good for the game!
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

If you go over the character limit with an emote...for it NOT to go through...and bounce it back at you so you can fix it. :<

Or increase limit. But probably just the former. Or just a little increase.

Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on February 08, 2021, 02:19:27 AM
If you go over the character limit with an emote...for it NOT to go through...and bounce it back at you so you can fix it. :<

Or increase limit. But probably just the former. Or just a little increase.

Ooo! Yeah, that'd be good.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

For each crafting skill to have a separate crafting helpfile called:

"<CraftingSkill> examples"

And to contain 5 examples of novice crafting recipes, and 3 examples of apprentice crafting recipes.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

All stablehand NPCs to have the keyword 'stablehand' so that it's consistent and easier to make an alias.

The command:

stable

Should duplicate all the functions of the rent command.

In addition, if you type >stable mount, the game should respond with something that indicates to to specify which NPC you want to 'stable/rent' your mount with.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

In a similar vein of standardized keywords, I'd like to see all rawhides tagged with something like an "untanned" keyword, even if its not in the sdesc.
Some hides are very similar, or identical in tanned/untanned form, making it confusing to deal with.

That way "craft untanned" will always work where "craft hide" can sometimes be all over the place.

Quote from: Fernandezj on February 08, 2021, 07:00:12 PM
In a similar vein of standardized keywords, I'd like to see all rawhides tagged with something like an "untanned" keyword, even if its not in the sdesc.
Some hides are very similar, or identical in tanned/untanned form, making it confusing to deal with.

That way "craft untanned" will always work where "craft hide" can sometimes be all over the place.

Quote from: mansa on February 08, 2021, 11:02:44 AM
The command:

stable

Should duplicate all the functions of the rent command.

In addition, if you type >stable mount, the game should respond with something that indicates to to specify which NPC you want to 'stable/rent' your mount with.

Okay, but is there ANY place in the game with multiple stablehands in the same room? I'm guessing not.

Can we make "rent <mount> <npc>" and "offer ticket <npc>" default to <npc>=the only valid NPC in the room?

Quote from: Fernandezj on February 08, 2021, 07:00:12 PM

Yeah, I'm with this one.

That phenomenon of picking up a bag, then getting

There is no more room for it here.
when you put it back is driving me crazy. It was fitting in the room before, why can't I put it back after picking it up?

It's a massive annoyance, especially when you don't even own the bag and have no intention of stealing it. Or when you clean up, get rid of some stuff, only to run into the problem again the next day, after someone else in your clan saw this as an opportunity to bring in more. Please, please fix this.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Nao on February 09, 2021, 02:44:33 PM

when you put it back is driving me crazy. It was fitting in the room before, why can't I put it back after picking it up?

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on January 19, 2021, 06:48:11 PM
My proposed solution: instead of summing the weights of all objects, sum the weights of all objects on the floor and the capacities of all top-level containers (lockers, chests, shelves, bags, etc., but not containers inside containers). This number should never be smaller than the current calculation, and it ensures that those containers can be used to their full capacity.

For bonus points:
- handle flexible containers (anything with keyword "bag"?) as though their contents are on the floor.
- do a single pass through the room db and update each room's capacity to be no smaller than the new calculation, so you don't get the dreaded picked-it-up-but-can't-put-down behavior.

February 09, 2021, 03:47:51 PM #89 Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 03:49:48 PM by Fernandezj
Maybe like assess room or assess -v here would give information about a room's storage capacity in addition to other features:

> assess here
... The room has a pleasant smell of fresh oil, worked leather and the
faintest twinge of sawdust crosses one's nostrils as well.
... it is sparsely populated. //For crim code?
... it is very spacious. //For hide?
... can be opened and closed to the south. //For exits that are closeable.
... could probably hold around 21970 stones.
... it is about half full.
... there is a fire here.

Oooo.

Yes.

Although 'assess room' had a different function now, a new arguement for assess to accomplish this would be baller.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on February 09, 2021, 02:55:54 PM

My proposed solution: instead of summing the weights of all objects, sum the weights of all objects on the floor and the capacities of all top-level containers (lockers, chests, shelves, bags, etc., but not containers inside containers). This number should never be smaller than the current calculation, and it ensures that those containers can be used to their full capacity.

For bonus points:
- handle flexible containers (anything with keyword "bag"?) as though their contents are on the floor.
- do a single pass through the room db and update each room's capacity to be no smaller than the new calculation, so you don't get the dreaded picked-it-up-but-can't-put-down behavior.

I don't care how you sum it up as long as it's consistent. If you can't put something back into the same place right after picking it up, the roomway this is calculated isn't consistent. The weight hasn't changed, if it fit before it should fit afterwards, but it doesn't.

Quote from: rinthrat on February 09, 2021, 05:12:50 PM
Quote from: Brytta Léofa on February 09, 2021, 02:55:54 PM

For bonus points:

I don't care how you sum it up as long as it's consistent. If you can't put something back into the same place right after picking it up, the roomway this is calculated isn't consistent. The weight hasn't changed, if it fit before it should fit afterwards, but it doesn't.

You (the person) are a container. The room was likely nearing full or full. You entered, making the room OVER weight. You pick something up, it can't be placed back down. There's no clean way around that.

You know, Fernandezj, I never thought about that. Make the room simply not take into account PCs and NPCs and the issues should be solved.

I thought the problem was that the bag will be put down lighter and emptier, the room accepts the bag at this weight. Things are then added to the bag, using the bags capacity as the check, not the rooms. Then the bag is picked up and can't be put down at it's increased weight.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on February 10, 2021, 01:53:34 AM
I thought the problem was that the bag will be put down lighter and emptier, the room accepts the bag at this weight. Things are then added to the bag, using the bags capacity as the check, not the rooms. Then the bag is picked up and can't be put down at it's increased weight.

This also happens with bags in containers. Take the bag out of the locker, change nothing, can't put it back because the room is over capacity. But you can't add anything to a container inside a container.

Even better: sometimes this can be solved by picking up something else from the ground, putting that on a table, then putting the original bag back to where it came from.

Theres alot of things at play with containers but something I've seen which has led to alot of overcapacity save room fun.... Is that many containers after being saved and the server resets/comes-back-after-a-crash, don't add their potential carrying capacity to the room. Interacting with them causes them to start adding their capacity. So the moment you touch that trunk your clanmate thought it would be a good idea to stuff with Large Bags - you just reduced the rooms capacity by like 2000 stone. Also, sometimes bags do not reduce their "weight" even after they have lost everything inside of them for room calculations. So that empty bag adds like 90+45 or whatever because it doesn't think the weight changed.

Let us look at bodies (equipment and wounds on a body) while they're strapped to a mount.

Quote from: Delirium on February 08, 2021, 09:43:54 AM
All stablehand NPCs to have the keyword 'stablehand' so that it's consistent and easier to make an alias.

Could all jewels (garnet, amber, jade, diamond) get a singular keyword so you can specify
-forage stone for jewels-? It's tedious right now having to throw away every chunk of rock.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on February 10, 2021, 10:04:22 PM
Quote from: Delirium on February 08, 2021, 09:43:54 AM

Could all jewels (garnet, amber, jade, diamond) get a singular keyword so you can specify
-forage stone for jewels-? It's tedious right now having to throw away every chunk of rock.

+1 to this yes so much please. I always try forage stone for gems because I feel like it should work. Please do this one.
The naked chubby winged halfling flaps its wings and blows you a kiss!