Developer Request: Quality of Life improvements to the game

Started by nessalin, January 19, 2021, 01:34:05 PM

Since Analyze is a static skill (ie you can't raise it) based on whether you have a certain skill or not, and further based on the level of said skill - could we have it changed at chargen from (novice) to (master).

It's not a big deal, but after you've mastered your craft skills, for Analyze to still continue appearing as (novice) is jarring.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

A way to send hemotes that are automatically visible to other characters targeted in them for stuff like nudging someone with an elbow or kicking someone's shin under the table (also probably has applications for flirting)

Quote from: Lotion on July 05, 2021, 09:17:25 AM
A way to send hemotes that are automatically visible to other characters targeted in them for stuff like nudging someone with an elbow or kicking someone's shin under the table (also probably has applications for flirting)

Would be nice, yes. Bonus points for a small chance for them to *not* notice it
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Butcher NPCs that accept animal corpses for a small payout and sell whatever skins off that creature in an attached shop.

Butcher shopkeeper who gets more than just the meat in the butchery meat shop....... So all that sunback hide doesnt vanish into the aether.

Quote from: Incognito on July 05, 2021, 07:41:33 AM
Since Analyze is a static skill (ie you can't raise it) based on whether you have a certain skill or not, and further based on the level of said skill - could we have it changed at chargen from (novice) to (master).

It's not a big deal, but after you've mastered your craft skills, for Analyze to still continue appearing as (novice) is jarring.

Or make it like the accents and not have a skill level?
21sters Unite!

I was just wondering today how it might be if the talk code wasn't limited to just tables.

Perhaps talk could also just be involved with a group of people. Codewise maybe using "follow". Don't know feasible it'd be currently, but I think it'd be interesting to have groups or clumps of people talking instead of just at tables and not hear everything about a large room or exterior area.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on July 06, 2021, 02:23:24 PM
I was just wondering today how it might be if the talk code wasn't limited to just tables.

Perhaps talk could also just be involved with a group of people. Codewise maybe using "follow". Don't know feasible it'd be currently, but I think it'd be interesting to have groups or clumps of people talking instead of just at tables and not hear everything about a large room or exterior area.

The idea of locational actions (like approaching people) is done in other games, seems more complex than a lot of the current code.
An alternative, or starting point, would likely be with the table code. i.e. on a simple level you could have "an open space" in a room (thats actually a table). Which might play out like:

> e
A Crowded Courtyard [N, S, E, W]
   This is a crowded courtyard.

> look tables
At 1) an open spot off to the side:
        many open seats.
At 2) an open spot off to the side:
        many open seats.

> stand at 1
You stand at an open spot off to the side.

Next person enters the room:
> e
A Crowded Courtyard [N, S, E, W]
   This is a crowded courtyard.
The tall, muscular man is standing at an open spot off to the side.

> look tables
At 1) an open spot off to the side:
        The tall muscular man, and many open seats.
At 2) an open spot off to the side:
        many open seats.

This would basically involve adding a generic series of "tables" to different rooms based on some category, or how rooms are categorized. Like wilderness might have different descriptions than city rooms, etc.

When using the functionality of "look canvas table" (or any illustration objection) it would be nice if it displayed the first illustration on that object and not just the object's mdesc. For use in display cases, tables, and framed paintings.

I'm not against that idea Fernandezj.

I'm just thinking having a talk option among a group of people walking together. Especially in exterior or large rooms would be nice to indicate size and space that doesn't really currently exist.

Like I've seen muds that have rooms gridded out depending on their size and you ahve to move within the area of the room to interact with people. And that's probably to complex and not what I'm interested in either.
21sters Unite!

Would be convenient to set certain words to never mangle per character. By default would include your name

If someone starts scanning it echoes to the room but if someone starts scanning and then just types "scan on" repeatedly to keep it up there's no way to know they're scanning. Whether or not someone is scanning should show up in their assess.

Quote from: Lotion on July 14, 2021, 04:31:49 PM
If someone starts scanning it echoes to the room but if someone starts scanning and then just types "scan on" repeatedly to keep it up there's no way to know they're scanning. Whether or not someone is scanning should show up in their assess.

You want the game to reply with something like:
"You are already scanning."  ?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Lotion on July 14, 2021, 04:31:49 PM
Scanning is a timer action that I believe is tied to the skill.  So it eventually wears off and when they type scan on after that point, it will display the Dude is scanning message again.

I don't think by spamming scan on removes this, so I'm not sure what you're asking for here.

If your scan lasts 15 minutes and they type scan on within that, nothing happens as they are already scanning.  After 15 minutes the first time they do it will say Dude scans the area or whatever it says.  Certain classes and skill level might have shorter or longer scan active windows, but as a guy who uses it almost constantly on most characters it always rescans the room visibly when I type scan on after it expired.  I normally can tell because I learn that my stun might be 100/100 but while scanning and listening be 89.  So once I see the stun progress farther than that, I do LISTEN ON SCAN ON.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

July 14, 2021, 10:00:17 PM #314 Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 10:02:30 PM by Fernandezj
I think the idea is if you are not in a room when someone types of the scan command, you have no indication if they are actively scanning.

And from that: the QoL improvement would be a way to discern if a person is actively surveilling their surroundings if you missed the fact that they used the skill in a room before arriving, with the implication being that "scanning" is an active sort of thing that a person might notice (if not, maybe tie it to watch).

If its not meant to be a skill that anyone would notice, then maybe no active echo at all.

Quote from: Fernandezj on July 14, 2021, 10:00:17 PM
I think the idea is if you are not in a room when someone types of the scan command, you have no indication if they are actively scanning.

And from that: the QoL improvement would be a way to discern if a person is actively surveilling their surroundings if you missed the fact that they used the skill in a room before arriving, with the implication being that "scanning" is an active sort of thing that a person might notice (if not, maybe tie it to watch).

If its not meant to be a skill that anyone would notice, then maybe no active echo at all.

I like the idea that it not be a room echo, but instead something you can notice or assess someone to find out, like watch. Great idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

NPC regen is ridiculous. If they flee from you there should be a 30 second delay MINIMUM before they start regenerating again so that by the time you sneak back up to them they haven't regenerated half of their hitpoints.

Maybe even take away their fear status after they regen to full to represent some kind of reset

Nosave for the guard command, primarily meant for guarding exits (but would have fun implications for guarding people/things)

ON: Automatically fail every guard check
CLAN: Automatically fail every guard check if the "attacker" shares a clan with you
OFF: Attempt every guard check, even if the "attacker" shares a clan with you

Gone are the days when someone clan dumps you inside a compound so that they can guard an exit, now they can just set nosave guard off.

Introduce the possibility to have a shared bank account at Nenyuks, for a maximum of 2 PCs.

For example, if there are 2 PCs, player1 and player2, when both PCs are present in the bank, either one could use the command:

add <player1> <player2> joint

Joint account : Both PCs retain their individual accounts. A third, joint account is created which is accessible by both PCs (similar to a clan bank account).

While checking balance, player1 would see:
You have 3000 coins in your bank account.
You have 2000 coins in your joint bank account with player2.

While checking balance, player2 would see:
You have 1000 coins in your bank account.
You have 2000 coins in your joint bank account with player1.

Withdrawing all money from the joint account and using the command "close joint" would close the joint account permanently. This would not require both PCs to be present in the bank - and could be done by either PC at any time - thereby creating possibilities of cheating/theft/infidelity.

PCs would not be allowed to have more than one joint account at any given time.

In case either PC died, their individual account would get forfeited by Nenyuk, as usual, but the joint account would continue to remain active as long as the other PC was alive.

Other commands would be :
withdraw <amount> joint
deposit <amount> joint
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

A global toggle by which imms can turn off mount emotes during RPTs.

The short, pale man is standing here, with you.
A large war beetle stands here with you, carrying the short, pale man on its back.

A blurb only you see, if someone is following you, not shadowing you.

If you are following someone else;

The short, pale man is standing here, ahead of you.
A large war beetle stands here ahead of you, carrying the short, pale man on its back.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

list <merchant> category slashing

PLEASE?

Most everything else is pretty nice now with search and wear locations. Weapon merchants are toxic still.
21sters Unite!

Please introduce a command like "assess opponents" so you can see who is fighting you.

>assess opponents
The yellow gith is fighting you.
The brown gith is fighting you.
The sleek black anakore is fighting you.

And/Or change the tagline when mounted fighting to echo who you are fighting. Right now, it just shows that you are mounted, and it does not show who you are fighting while you are mounted. So the ONLY indication you have of who is fighting you is a) when they swing at you/attack you, which is easily lost in spam, and b) the primary attacker, if you check your prompt/stat/score.

So, instead of what we currently have, which is this:

The burly woman is here, riding a hot pink inix.
The slender man is here, riding an orange beetle.
A yellow gith is here, fighting the slender man.

Have it show:

The burly woman is here, riding a hot pink inix, fighting a yellow gith.
The slender man is here, riding an orange beetle, fighting a yellow gith.
A yellow gith is here, fighting the slender man.

The way it is now makes it insanely difficult to parse combat when everyone is mounted.

Let half-elves that look like elves start with master allundean so they can actually pass as elves.

Make all bows shoulder-wearable, please.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.