Mercry flee is weird but it should be BROKEN

Started by Lotion, December 03, 2020, 04:02:33 AM

Mercy flee affects when you will attack when someone uses the flee command and also some other situations in combat and that's weird but it inspired some further weirdness.

There's certain rooms that are absolutely considered "Sparring Rooms". The Byn Halls (north and south), the Garrison pit, etc. and when people say "Break" it means to stop fighting and people scramble to type disengage before something bad happens. So what if...

mercy flee on could mean that you just auto disengage when the person you are fighting says "Break!" or "Break" or "brEaK." etc. or if someone in the same room shouts a break when you are in a sparring room.

Seems cool but I'm worried it might be a thing that could confuse newbs (we don't need more of that crap) or might be difficult to implement due to "engine reasons". Designating a room as a sparring room just for this feature sounds like it might use up precious bits that aren't even there. Maybe it could be tied to being in the same clan (and also mercy flee) which means apartment sparring will just have to be more more dangerous than clan sparring.

While I like your idea for reasons of roleplay and scene continuity, it looks like this might eliminate the ability to practice flee in a sparring context safely. When it doesn't become safe to practice flee while sparring you will end up with [1] dead recruits in training halls and/or [2] dead recruits who tried to practice fleeing by hunting wild beasts.

I think we have sufficient mechanisms to roleplay both disengage and mock combat flee scenarios and feel like this is an unnecessary change but I get why you posted, teaching and roleplaying around this can be clunky.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Also wholly exploitable if someone doesn't toggle said mercy off (which is it's own learning item, but pretty hilarious if your target just starts yelling 'Break!' and runs away)

I think this would be a cool feature personally. I know sometimes people try to murder folks during a sparring match, but if you tie the sensitivity to mercy flee being toggled then they could still get up to their shenanigans.

Personally I think it's a lot easier to stop hitting people IRL than it is to type disengage before a few more strikes sneak through, so this would actually be a bit more realistic than we have now.

I think we should stop saying "break!" and start saying "disengage!"
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on December 03, 2020, 12:13:00 PM

Pragmatic, low cost solutions for the win, I love it!

9000hp 3mv>
break
Use the 'cease' command to cancel psionics.

9000hp 3mv>

You are very hungry.

9000hp 3mv>
alias break disengage
Ok.

9000hp 3mv>
break
You aren't fighting anyone.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: triste on December 03, 2020, 12:17:11 PM
Quote from: mansa on December 03, 2020, 12:13:00 PM

Pragmatic, low cost solutions for the win, I love it!

9000hp 3mv>
break
Use the 'cease' command to cancel psionics.

9000hp 3mv>

You are very hungry.

9000hp 3mv>
alias break disengage
Ok.

9000hp 3mv>
break
You aren't fighting anyone.

This characters race is The Mountain.

I honestly do not like the idea. Accidents happen. They are ment to happen.  You say you think it's easier to stop hitting someone then to type disengage? That is not always true. Fighting is a state of mind and coming out of it is not always an instant thing.

This is why most sargeants actually order against people asking to disengage. I lost count how many times my characters said,"Don't rely on your partner to stop fighting when you ask. You want them to stop hitting you. Get out of the circle."

Ofcourse, it's also ment to train flee.

I suppose a mechanic of causing your opponent to stop fighting could prevent deaths due to someone lagging out.

I personally like this little flutter in my stomach each time I spar.  Will this be the one that severely injures me? Keeps my attention rapt.