Author Topic: The Allanak Problem  (Read 26966 times)

williamson

Re: The Allanak Problem
« Reply #625 on: January 22, 2021, 02:20:53 PM »

It gets mentioned every once in a while, typically by Brokkr. Its not a hard-line "No plots till you're 90d old" or something. Its the general idea that between finding aides and allies, cooking up plots, involving staff, and getting the OKAY from Producers, it tends to take MONTHS for stuff to get off the ground.

Which is PERSONALLY irritating because a PC's world changes in minutes. Even seconds. But a Leadership PC has to wait months.

It is my belief that it lends itself to the idea that you "have to stay alive" in order to get things done. WILL staff support you on a week old character? Maybe. If they like you, have time to do something, your plot doesn't change the world at all, and the local admin says its okay.

I must respectfully disagree.

I think a new noble can immediately begin small plots such as hiring staff, scouting, gathering information,  or throwing parties.

However, a newbie noble should start at the bottom of the political power hierarchy. Don't expect your new noble to lead an army to conquer Red Storm after 6 weeks. Don't forget that as nobles age they acquire more political influence,  allies, titles, and larger stipends. It wouldn't fit the game theme for a new noble to arrive equal to his more accomplished peers. Just as it wouldn't make sense for a new warrior to arrive with the same combat prowress as a seasoned veteran.

As a player, I've found that there is a lot of freedom in the game especially if your patient, well planned, careful, and advance yourself with incremental improvements. Just don't expect to run before you learn to crawl.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:59:20 PM by williamson »
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

Barsook

« Reply #626 on: January 22, 2021, 06:50:36 PM »
As a player, I've found that there is a lot of freedom in the game especially if your patient, well planned, careful, and advance yourself with incremental improvements. Just don't expect to run before you learn to crawl.

I think this what we are forgetting for sure. Well said. A sense of real time, in the game world, is one of the biggest plus of Arm. Even I do dislike it at time, but it's something that I don't really see anywhere.

Gentleboy

« Reply #627 on: April 26, 2021, 01:41:49 AM »
Hello all, I just want to say that I've been having a baller time lately.

Anyway, I got a new gripe with Nak.

Staff, you promise rpts and you all do a great job of it. RPTs in Allanakā€¦. it's like a slow-burn fluctuating on political dramas that end with someone dying and everyone being so fucking glad that the weak-link in the plot is dead that they want the plot to be over with. Or spiders. Or war or something. Or things that normal people who aren't nobles or warriors (for the violent plots) can't see. I would have loved to see the political drama of the senate but could not due to my character at the time. Court room dramas are my jam. I want more.

I love some good drama. I would love some RPTs centered in the city with more political drama plots, ones that commoners can have more of a view on or say on. Cause, why go to Allanak as a player if it's not for that tasty pseudo Mr. Darcy vs Miss Havisham duel?

Iiyola

« Reply #628 on: April 27, 2021, 12:22:25 AM »
I love some good drama. I would love some RPTs centered in the city with more political drama plots, ones that commoners can have more of a view on or say on. Cause, why go to Allanak as a player if it's not for that tasty pseudo Mr. Darcy vs Miss Havisham duel?
That.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness