How does analyze even work?

Started by GithMaster, July 21, 2020, 02:22:39 PM

So I was trying to figure out how something is crafted but I can't pick it up to analyze it. I sent in a log of the character with the item and studying the item and asked for the results of an analyze via a request.

The answer was no that my character couldn't figure it out just by looking at it.

Well then how does analyze work?

Make it destroy the item by taking it apart might be an interesting change.

Sounds like it was just a non-craftable item, or something you don't have skill in, or an item that is clanned to something you aren't clanned to.  All three would fail an analyze even if you could pick it up.

Or 4th option, they want you to find someone to teach you IG, or use guesswork.  I've had good luck asking if it is a clanned item, and I've made a logical suggestion of what I have tried but it has a 'hidden' component, on the vein of 'asking your NPC superior/elder/mentor', if there are no PCs in that position to ask.  But making a guess of "I've tried black feathers and grey feathers and white feathers for this 'a feathery necklace', in ones, twos, threes and fours in all combinations...what am I missing?" when it turns out to be yellow feathers, or need a piece of obsidian for a clasp, or whatever that you can't easily guess!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Analyze is used to figure out which raw materials were used to create an item.

It is used to help you find the crafting recipes for items created using the crafting skill you currently have in your skills list.

Example:
You have the fletchery skill, and you have an arrow in your inventory.

You can analyze the arrow, and it will tell you the raw materials used to craft that arrow, and it may also say it also requires a specific tool to create.

At that point, you can then find those raw materials, and then craft another arrow similar to the one you have.

Note:
Not all items in the game are craftable, so when you analyze some items, it may respond with You cannot tell how that is made..

Also, some items to craft require that you belong to a specific clan, so you won't get the recipe when you analyze some items that are clan locked.

Finally, some items require that your crafting skill be higher than what it currently is in order to get the more complicated recipe of difficult items to craft.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Character has right clan, right skills, and material is craftable but that is not what I am getting at.

I didn't like the explanation that you couldn't tell how it was made by looking at it. It seems arbitrary to say if something is in your inventory you can figure it out (by looking?) but if the the item is on the ground you can't. Just being large or bolted down or whatever reason doesn't make something more complicated.

Soooo, did you ask staff about it? Not every object is cfaftabke. Some are master crafted and are considered unique. Did you ask staff?

Quote from: Dar on July 22, 2020, 04:06:32 PM
Soooo, did you ask staff about it? Not every object is cfaftabke. Some are master crafted and are considered unique. Did you ask staff?

Yeah. That's what I said in the previous posts. I asked in a request. My point again is that it seems arbitrary to say you cannot analyze by looking at something in the room. Pretty sure that is what you are doing when you analyze something in your inventory.

Oh!  I think I misunderstood the question.

You want to be able to analyze an item that isn't in your inventory, but is visible in the room... Similar to the suggestion to be able to analyze an item in a shopkeeper's inventory, without having to purchase it.

That would make things easier/cheaper to discover new crafting recipes, no doubt!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on July 22, 2020, 05:10:44 PM
Oh!  I think I misunderstood the question.

You want to be able to analyze an item that isn't in your inventory, but is visible in the room... Similar to the suggestion to be able to analyze an item in a shopkeeper's inventory, without having to purchase it.

That would make things easier/cheaper to discover new crafting recipes, no doubt!

I think you could make a distinction between an object in the room that is freely accessible, on the floor, and an object that you can look at by extension because it is part of a shop's stock list. Obviously they do not want us to analyze things in a shop. But why not allow analyze to be used on things on the floor in a room? You can craft from things in a room, this seems no different conceptually.

Tbh you'd probably have better luck getting results you wanted by putting in a detailed counter-point appeal via request.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts