Soldier and laborer scan ought to be switched

Started by worldofsand, June 11, 2020, 04:58:46 AM

So far I have tried 3 main classes. Scout, Stalker and Soldier. Now I was going to say what I think of them but I think I will leave it with..."Momma said if you have nothing nice to say..."

Soldier does not need scan, with the current lopsidedness between stealth and scan I agree with the people who have said this is not worth fighting over.

And I join Mansa's petition...change the name to sellsword.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on June 11, 2020, 11:45:43 PM
So far I have tried 3 main classes. Scout, Stalker and Soldier. Now I was going to say what I think of them but I think I will leave it with..."Momma said if you have nothing nice to say..."

I would love to hear what you think of them, mostly because I feel the classes are still relatively new and overtime they'll still be fine tuned and improved, so if people don't give thoughts or ideas, nothing will change.

Stalker is great, it has everything it needs to be a powerful class for the wilderness. Does it take forever and a half to git gud in combat? Sure, but thats because its a middle class, it has a healthy mix of utility and combat. Really, just throw in a combat subclass for disarm etc and its golden if thats what you want.

Quote from: worldofsand on June 11, 2020, 04:22:34 PM
2) There's no class that serves as the opposition to poor criminals, despite there being an entire clan devoted in large part to that. There are several classes devoted to petty crime but no class devoted to countering it.
ftfy

+1 to Sellsword

You want to play a soldier in the AoD who is in the city at least 95% of the time? Play a city/criminal class and pick infiltrator. You get advanced scan, watch (underrated skill), sneak/hide and city hunt for following these criminals around and checking what they're up to, peek to inconspiciously check for contraband, and ranged skills that are more useable than archery.

Don't get so hung up on the names of a class, or skills you probably won't use.

No real kank (oops I meant beetle) in this race but this thread got me to use Tristes' guild picker (https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/) to compare laborer and soldier. They are practically identical!
Aside from some combat weapon styles and archery, and when stuff branches, there is very little difference between skills, and exactly the same abilities. Just thought it was interesting. So, that's it. Good day!  ;D
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Quote from: JohnMichaelHenry on June 12, 2020, 01:11:10 PM
No real kank (oops I meant beetle) in this race but this thread got me to use Tristes' guild picker (https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/) to compare laborer and soldier. They are practically identical!
Aside from some combat weapon styles and archery, and when stuff branches, there is very little difference between skills, and exactly the same abilities. Just thought it was interesting. So, that's it. Good day!  ;D

Both of them are also very similar to Adventurer. I just noticed this yesterday as well and feel like they could be differentiated a tiny tiny bit more.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

There is one class that it customized for play in the AoD.  Its name is templar.

Playing a soldier in the AoD shouldn't be just about catching criminals.  That may be an aspect of it, but it isn't the aspect that is being a soldier (ie part of an army).  It is more the law enforcement aspect.  In any case, that wasn't how classes were designed at all.  In fact they were designed to NOT fit into a box like that, or be a perfect fit for roles.

There were designed around basically five axis.  Skill levels are determine by three axis and how far you are from those axes:  Combat, Survival, Merchantile.  This can be thought of as Deep skill levels in combat for Heavy combat, deep skill level in misc skills for Survival, deep skill level in crafting/merchanting for heavy merchantile.  Light Combat and Light Merchantile were meant to be broader skillsets with lower skill caps.

The other two axes are Criminal and Wilderness.  These don't determine skill levels at all (which still go off the other three axes), but rather add skillsets appropriate for those locations.  It would have been better if we had a skillset that City characters could use (thus 6 axes) but we really didn't.  So Fighter and Artisan get fudged around a little bit to give them some slight advantages, and we reuse the merchantile axis for the other three City classes (albeit without determining skill levels from it, which still come from class closeness to the merchantile axis).

So, absolutely not designed in a manner that soldier was "meant" to be for folks wanting a role customized to AoD/Garrison/whatever play.

When looking at all this, it is useful to remember that raider maxed "master" archery is better than scout maxed "master" archery, and likewise scout "advanced" hide is better than raider "advanced" hide.

Quote from: Brokkr on June 12, 2020, 03:58:04 PM
When looking at all this, it is useful to remember that raider maxed "master" archery is better than scout maxed "master" archery, and likewise scout "advanced" hide is better than raider "advanced" hide.

Woah that actually makes a difference. Thanks.

There is one class that it customized for play in the AoD.  Its name is templar.

Playing a soldier in the AoD shouldn't be just about catching criminals.  That may be an aspect of it, but it isn't the aspect that is being a soldier (ie part of an army).  It is more the law enforcement aspect.  In any case, that wasn't how classes were designed at all.  In fact they were designed to NOT fit into a box like that, or be a perfect fit for roles.

There were designed around basically five axis.  Skill levels are determine by three axis and how far you are from those axes:  Combat, Survival, Merchantile.  This can be thought of as Deep skill levels in combat for Heavy combat, deep skill level in misc skills for Survival, deep skill level in crafting/merchanting for heavy merchantile.  Light Combat and Light Merchantile were meant to be broader skillsets with lower skill caps.

The other two axes are Criminal and Wilderness.  These don't determine skill levels at all (which still go off the other three axes), but rather add skillsets appropriate for those locations.  It would have been better if we had a skillset that City characters could use (thus 6 axes) but we really didn't.  So Fighter and Artisan get fudged around a little bit to give them some slight advantages, and we reuse the merchantile axis for the other three City classes (albeit without determining skill levels from it, which still come from class closeness to the merchantile axis).

So, absolutely not designed in a manner that soldier was "meant" to be for folks wanting a role customized to AoD/Garrison/whatever play.

How do you feel about scan at advanced and renaming the class to sellsword?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

When looking at all this, it is useful to remember that raider maxed "master" archery is better than scout maxed "master" archery

Really? I would honestly have guessed it was the opposite, that scout gets a higher archery than raider to compensate for being worse at everything else combat-related. I had assumed that infiltrator likewise gets a higher backstab than enforcer. If this is not the case, the light combat classes are even worse than I thought. They really don't have a lot going for them. They get so few masteries, and the ones they get, their heavy counterpart is better at anyway?

They get a broader skillset.  Lots of people complain about raider not having skin.  Intentional.  Scout gets more combat that Stalker.  They get skin which Raider doesn't.  So...more combat than Stalker, less combat than Raider, and vice versa for survival skills.

So when you want a combat capable outsidy type person but you need skin because you are a secret magicker...

or you want to be the most combat capable but also want to start outside...

or you want to start with backstab and are willing to forgo a little bit of high end potential and hey you get to poison too...

or whatever.