Slipknife and piercing weapons skill

Started by Heade, September 05, 2019, 12:47:17 PM

September 05, 2019, 12:47:17 PM Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 12:51:23 PM by Heade
I was just looking over the ESGs and noticed that slipknife doesn't get any skill in piercing weapons. This seems like an oversight. All of the other combat-related ESGs get their chosen weapon class up to advanced, while slipknife doesn't even get basic proficiency in piercing.

I think it would make for a better, more sensical branching path as well, rather than:

hide branches into throwing

have

piercing weapons branches into throwing

By learning to wield their knives effectively, they learn to throw them.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Heade on September 05, 2019, 12:47:17 PM
I was just looking over the ESGs and noticed that slipknife doesn't get any skill in piercing weapons. This seems like an oversight. All of the other combat-related ESGs get their chosen weapon class up to advanced, while slipknife doesn't even get basic proficiency in piercing.

I think it would make for a better, more sensical branching path as well, rather than:

hide branches into throwing

have

piercing weapons branches into throwing

By learning to wield their knives effectively, they learn to throw them.

This makes sense to me.  There a few oddities like this that I think need to be fixed up with the new guilds/subguilds.

Literally every single class gets piercing.  And you don't need it to backstab.  There were plenty of Merchant/Slipknife characters.

Quote from: Brokkr on September 06, 2019, 01:06:06 AM
Literally every single class gets piercing.  And you don't need it to backstab.  There were plenty of Merchant/Slipknife characters.

Sure, but they don't get piercing to advanced, which is what the other combat-related ESGs get their related skill to. Allowing slipknife to have piercing at advanced would provide more appeal to the ESG, is all.

And no, you don't need piercing to backstab. But you need it in the ensuing combat that is initiated by the backstab. I don't imagine you NEED chopping weapons to "hack" either, but hacking at people's armor/shields when you don't know how to use the axe seems like a bad idea. Similarly, it seems like a bad idea to backstab someone if you just generally don't know how to do a follow-up stab.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

>Allowing slipknife to have piercing at advanced would provide more appeal to the ESG, is all.

My guess is slipknife is already in the top five most popular ESGs, if not the single most popular.

I just Noticed something:

"slipknives learn to throw weapons at their opponents from the shadows,"

Is throwing while hidden, and not breaking hide, a separate skills?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on September 07, 2019, 12:21:58 AM
I just Noticed something:

"slipknives learn to throw weapons at their opponents from the shadows,"

Is throwing while hidden, and not breaking hide, a separate skills?

I'm pretty sure that was just how they worded it pre-'We'll tell you what skills it gets' so you would know they branched throw from hide.

Quote from: number13 on September 07, 2019, 12:03:41 AM
My guess is slipknife is already in the top five most popular ESGs, if not the single most popular.

I don't think guessing is necessary. We could probably get the data if we ask nicely. @brokkr ?

I think this is a result of slipknife making the move from 2 cgp to 1 cgp. Probably won't see any weapon skills added to it.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on September 12, 2019, 09:56:36 PM
I think this is a result of slipknife making the move from 2 cgp to 1 cgp. Probably won't see any weapon skills added to it.

Oh, when did that happen? I thought it was just a typo on the website and that in-game it would still cost 2.

Quote from: Heade on September 12, 2019, 10:56:08 PM

Oh, when did that happen? I thought it was just a typo on the website and that in-game it would still cost 2.

I think around the shift to classes. Sucks too. I really liked having master sneak/hide and sap.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on September 13, 2019, 04:34:20 PM
Quote from: Heade on September 12, 2019, 10:56:08 PM

I think around the shift to classes. Sucks too. I really liked having master sneak/hide and sap.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the fact that there isn't an ESG with master stealth any more.