Lower hp floor to -30

Started by MeTekillot, April 28, 2019, 07:09:11 PM

Make 0 to -20 an 'incapacitated' state where you can still move and speak, but are otherwise at the level of vulnerability of resting. Moving in this state would consume 20 stamina per room. It would be at a 'crawl' movespeed that would take like 5 or 10 seconds per room. Being in this state would be the same as having 'nosave' on for everything, in terms of resisting skills (subdue/kick/etc) used on you. You also fail all skill rolls, except perhaps, climb? Skill rolls include flee.

April 28, 2019, 07:22:27 PM #1 Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:29:21 PM by Dresan
It would be great if the ability would be added to mercy, as in mercy incapacitate if they can get the victims hp lower than 0.

I would go a bit farther though, not just adding more negative hp but instead if the attacker has mercy kill on, it should let the victim's negative hp go as low as necessary without killing them even if multiple people(with mercy on) are attacking them.

I know this goes against 'realism' but while most of us don't mind RPing violent characters and situations, we don't always OOCly want to killing others people's characters even if they get to see our mdesc and tell the world.

And I think the game should let us prevent accidental killings in these cases since it is in hopes of providing a richer RP experience later on.

Quote from: Dresan on April 28, 2019, 07:22:27 PM
And I think the game should let us prevent accidental killings in these cases since it is in hopes of providing a richer RP experience later on.
I can see some other types of changes ..

What if every new character had mercy turned on by default?  How about one step further - what if mercy is turned on by default every time your character re-enters the game world?

Also, what if the human NPC soldiers had mercy turned on by default?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Having the NPC Soldiers with mercy on by default is a great idea. But only if attacking an NPC soldier first, automatically toggles mercy off.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: mansa on April 28, 2019, 07:34:58 PM
Quote from: Dresan on April 28, 2019, 07:22:27 PM
I can see some other types of changes ..

What if every new character had mercy turned on by default?  How about one step further - what if mercy is turned on by default every time your character re-enters the game world?

Also, what if the human NPC soldiers had mercy turned on by default?

This would be great, the moment you are knocked out you end up in a jail cell anyways where nothing but fun and joy awaits you.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 28, 2019, 08:08:56 PM
Having the NPC Soldiers with mercy on by default is a great idea. But only if attacking an NPC soldier first, automatically toggles mercy off.

This works, or you get perma-crimmed, until such time as a staff or templar comes over and RP fun times. You can always quit die yourself if you choose not to wait. :)

Fewer accidental deaths sounds like a great idea. I know that can be part of the "risky fun" for some people, but I think it might be better overall to err on the side of fewer.

Make it so using the way is harder when recently in combat too. Except if you are a psion. Similar to combat ticker now.

You're too excited to use the Way!
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I might have a certain rep....but I agree, less accidental deaths...Hell, I want mercy to work with ranged and magick...not like that will happen.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I too would be fine with soldiers being mercy on.  I've died a few times to soldiers when I try to run away.

Quote from: X-D on April 28, 2019, 10:54:07 PM
Hell, I want mercy to work with ranged and magick

"Shoot to wound, then execute the wounded."

If need be...yes.

If nothing else they get a nice execution emote instead of "arrow from the east hits you in the neck" Beep...mantis head.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Mercy is not intended to be infallible.

Some folks are better at being merciful than others.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 01:00:23 AM

While I understand what you're saying, having a chance or not dying due to running from npcs would still be better than always dying due to them not having mercy on ever.

Nobody is asking for it to be infallible.

But currently...Mercy had no affect at all on ranged or magick.

I in fact like that it is not perfect...but you should still have the chance of it working on EVERY method of doing damage aside from poison.
Lizzie:

April 29, 2019, 02:29:38 AM #14 Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:45:20 AM by Dresan
I might miss those byn 'oh shit' i murdered someone moments but not sure it trumps the benefits for the victims of them situations.

Though kinda on the fence on this myself after some thought as there is a risk it might lessen the feeling of true danger with any given encounter.

Quote from: Cerelum on April 29, 2019, 01:05:13 AM
Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 01:00:23 AM

While I understand what you're saying, having a chance or not dying due to running from npcs would still be better than always dying due to them not having mercy on ever.

I think, instead of lowering the bar for instant beeps, add a new layer of mercy that stops attacking someone once they are either unconscious because of stun, or at 1% of their total HP - and it cuts off at that 1% of HP without dealing the extra however-much damage that was in that strike, which would normally instantly kill someone.

I would love this as an addition. It would at least somewhat reduce the instant death via arrow that X-D was talking about, and it would allow for RP. If someone is going to kill your PC, they are going to do it regardless of whether or not you get 30hp or 10hp to fiddle around with. I would also be somewhat happy if mercy shaved off some damage, make it so having mercy on or off matters more for combat, are you going for a killing blow? Enjoy +5 damage.

I am not sure how you pull back an arrow or spell, like you pull back you melee attack mid swing, but feel free to enlighten me.

And let us not forget historical context.  Mercy was added for melee sparring.  It, along with disengage, has already hugely reduced the risk of sparring to near zero.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 11:37:58 AM
I am not sure how you pull back an arrow or spell, like you pull back you melee attack mid swing, but feel free to enlighten me.

And let us not forget historical context.  Mercy was added for melee sparring.  It, along with disengage, has already hugely reduced the risk of sparring to near zero.
I'm all for saying "No" but these are pretty easy justifications:
Archery: Don't aim for the neck/head shot.
Magick: Its literally magick. I don't know how else to explain it. It's not real. There's no documented explanation for how magick works beyond the coded syntax and "you have a unique connection to the plane of BLAH" with players encouraged to come up with their own unique explanations on a per character basis. No further justification is needed beyond "magick".

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 11:37:58 AM

This isn't how it works in melee either. A mercy blow isn't a pulled punch that does non lethal and knocks your opponent out (ala 5e rules). Even with mercy on you can do overrun damage that kills your opponent. Rather, it's a perception check. You notice your opponent is incapacitated and don't make a swing at all.

The equivalent is charging a spell or nocking an arrow and then realizing your target is already down and holding fire. You're not delicately shooting them. You're lowering the bow. Exact same process as in melee.

You shouldn't have cast at mon.  Unlike melee, you have some control over what will happen.  once you mutter the five words...you've chosen and don't control what happens from then on.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 11:47:40 AM
You shouldn't have cast at mon.  Unlike melee, you have some control over what will happen.  once you mutter the five words...you've chosen and don't control what happens from then on.
This is entirely true, mon level spells are fucking scary powerful.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 11:47:40 AM

The issue is range. The rate of fire with arrows makes it very hard to not send an extra arrow after your target is down. A mercy check for arrows would be beneficial so archers don't evaporate people they intend to rp a death scene or ect. It's not a merciful arrow. It's just a check to make sure you don't fire one more than you need and ruin everyone's good time.

If you aren't using "look <direction>" after every arrow I don't know what to tell you.

As for aiming for a specific body part, your archer isn't able to do that normally, so not sure why they would be automagickally able to because they want to be merciful.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2019, 11:57:28 AM
If you aren't using "look <direction>" after every arrow I don't know what to tell you.

Guess we should do away with mercy altogether.

If you're not sitting with disengage on your clipboard to prevent fragging in the sparring ring, I don't know what to tell you.

There's no argument for mercy in melee that cannot be equally applied to ranged. In fact its even more necessary there because ranged is batshit lethal compared to melee AND you have to actively look for unconsciousness rather than have a  room echo to you. And when the consequence is a potentially irreversible unintended consequence to both the archer and their victim, this becomes even less defensible.

This is the type of QoL change that obstensively the staff are looking for, honestly. The pushback is a bit puzzling to me.