ReOpening Tuluk: An HRPT Idea for Growth/Interest

Started by Bebop, October 03, 2018, 01:18:08 PM

If anyone wants to see a good example of what I think Tuluk's tone could have been, I recommend watching The Death of Stalin. Corrupt authority figures being being faux affable with one another, commoners living in a purported paradise rife with paranoia and midnight disappearances, everyone being in fear of The Boss... it reminded me a lot of Late Stage Tuluk. I'm sad Tuluk isn't going to re-open as I think a more cerebral dictatorship could be fun to explore.

"I'm smiling right now, but I am Fucking Furious."

Well, don't lose hope. Brokkr said it's not slated for the next 6 months. That doesn't mean that staff isn't listening, and won't move to do something with it after that. Large-scale plans take time. I'd prefer something sooner, myself. But it is what it is.

I feel like the current staff is probably the most responsive and diplomatic to player input of any staff I can recall in the history of Arm, and for all of the doom and gloom talk that has happened lately, I think that is a pretty fucking bright light on the horizon. Thank you to Brokkr, Seidr, Akariel, and all the other staff who has been kind enough to give their time to the players in a collaberative effort to improve all of our experiences with the game. I really appreciate it, as I'm sure others do, too.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on October 10, 2018, 04:25:27 AM
If anyone wants to see a good example of what I think Tuluk's tone could have been, I recommend watching The Death of Stalin. Corrupt authority figures being being faux affable with one another, commoners living in a purported paradise rife with paranoia and midnight disappearances, everyone being in fear of The Boss... it reminded me a lot of Late Stage Tuluk. I'm sad Tuluk isn't going to re-open as I think a more cerebral dictatorship could be fun to explore.

Bruh, I kudosed Malken one time and told him he was the best representation of a Tuluki soldier, because I'd watched that documentary on North Korea where Lisa Ling goes in, and man, he was -just- like all of those citizens... just, um, for the Sun King and the Chosen House he was playing in.

People live in fear of Tektolnes because he's a mother fucking dragon. People were doing the will of Muk Utep for far different reasons. I thought it was a beautiful sort of difference.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on October 10, 2018, 04:25:27 AM

Sounds cool, and appropriate to Tuluk - as described.  Will try to catch it!

I don't think Tuluk necessarily needs to reopen--I like it better than Allanak, but having your playerbase be concentrated and accessible is probably a good thing.

I think however that it needs a presence.  The occassional Tuluki raiding or assassination party in the south, the odd rumor of its activities.  Some kind of in-character definitive answer about what's been going on there (civil war, xenophobia, literal magical stasis, everyone teleported to the moon???) would make for a great plot arc.  Even if it's something as simple as the city sending out a single PC templar or dignitary to be the de facto dictator of Morin's.

How about if staff were to rewrite the main areas of Tuluk as ruins, and have underTuluk where a few players could base from. Then they themselves could put some time into trying to rebuild Tuluk as a different place, one room at a time. That way, staff wouldn't have to put in a lot of work at once, and players could take an active part in the building. If there are enough of them, it could be a success, and if not, a failure.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

We're here talking about how much we want Tuluk back into the plot of the game..and we could simply let the players do it.

The more I think about this, the more I simply want to +1 Bebop.

I don't care who does it, for those who want to play in Tuluk, they ought to be able to. There is no canonical barrier to that. Let's try it out.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I never saw Tuluk, but what I've seen is an absence of people trying to preserve any Tuluki lore or culture in game. :(

There's safe places to do so, aren't there? In Tuluk? Morin's?

I'd like to see it tried and then pick up enough of that information to actually play one myself. I'm the king of lost causes.

Quote from: Miradus on October 17, 2018, 08:54:01 PM

I never saw Tuluk, but what I've seen is an absence of people trying to preserve any Tuluki lore or culture in game. :(

There's safe places to do so, aren't there? In Tuluk? Morin's?

I'd like to see it tried and then pick up enough of that information to actually play one myself. I'm the king of lost causes.

The problem is, they've made Morin's intentionally boring, small, and without support to discourage players from living there long-term. No apartments, so no item storage, no sponsored roles there, so no politics, no clanned jobs, few players because of those, so not much of a player economy, no one to sell to, no one to rob, etc.

People not preserving Tuluki culture IG is less representative of players not wanting to, and more a result of coded disadvantages to trying to do so.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Mirudus, I think a barrier to that is the canonical uncertainty as to what Tuluk's actual status is.  The city is currently present in the game world, but there is no actual coded way to enter it at the moment.

If no one's going in or out of the city, and all that's left of Tuluk are its outlying holdings and legions sourced from the hinterlands, then it's difficult to play someone with a strong connection to its national civic culture.  And if the city is in fact ruined, those roles wouldn't be available at all.  We just don't know.

Quote from: Erythil on October 17, 2018, 10:31:07 PM
Mirudus, I think a barrier to that is the canonical uncertainty as to what Tuluk's actual status is.  The city is currently present in the game world, but there is no actual coded way to enter it at the moment.

If no one's going in or out of the city, and all that's left of Tuluk are its outlying holdings and legions sourced from the hinterlands, then it's difficult to play someone with a strong connection to its national civic culture.  And if the city is in fact ruined, those roles wouldn't be available at all.  We just don't know.

I actually recall seeing a post made by staff from years ago saying that, IC, Tuluk is open to visit virtually, you just can't -actually- go inside the gates. So you are allowed to RP that you do during downtime, I think, but no one does because we don't actually know the status of what the city is currently like inside. It's also possible that post is dated and no longer accurate. There just really isn't a lot of information to go off of.

Make unsanctioned sex illegal when you bring it back.

1) Only sex allowed is purchased via slaves, marriage (yes, commoners too though we should call it something cheest, like life mate) or licensed and inked fornication suppliers (like shadow artistry) to insure purity.
2) Breeding itself must have a license per child.  Breeding without a license will result in child being enslaved, infanticide upon birth or murder of one or both parents.
3) Let nobles for fornicaters BUT if they knock one up or get knocked up by one, PUBLIC SHAME AND MURDER!
4) Pairing outside your House/station is forbidden by commoners unless sanctioned by each organization.

This isn't a joke post. I'm totally serious about this form of oppression.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on October 18, 2018, 11:48:42 AM

1) Only sex allowed is purchased via slaves, marriage (yes, commoners too though we should call it something cheest, like life mate) or licensed and inked fornication suppliers (like shadow artistry) to insure purity.
2) Breeding itself must have a license per child.  Breeding without a license will result in child being enslaved, infanticide upon birth or murder of one or both parents.
3) Let nobles for fornicaters BUT if they knock one up or get knocked up by one, PUBLIC SHAME AND MURDER!
4) Pairing outside your House/station is forbidden by commoners unless sanctioned by each organization.

Umm. Why?

"Let's take what didn't work about Tuluk and DIAL IT UP TO 11."

Becomes a slippery slope:

"Hey guys did you heard abou-"

"WOAH WOAH WOAH. Did you get a license for this conversation with the Ministry of Topics?"

"No .. I guess I'll do that then.. Fuck, I hate playing in Tuluk"

>e

Templar of Movement: "Where do you think you're going?"

Quote from: Decameron on October 18, 2018, 12:35:31 PM

"WOAH WOAH WOAH. Did you get a license for this conversation with the Ministry of Topics?"

>e

yousuck

Quote from: Dar on October 18, 2018, 12:21:15 PM

Umm. Why?

It adds a realistic level of difficulty in the oppressive side. Tuluk was meant to be oppressive as fuck. The denizens there are supposed to be petrified. All that frolicking WAS supposed to be just a front but there really weren't any oppressive laws at all.

You couldn't be a gick. Citizens covered up for them.

Noble/commoner fornication was against the rules (it happened and you were force stored, there were NO ic repercussions for breaking his law).

You couldn't kill without a license but people did. A lot.

There's more opportunity for oppression, real oppression, for the "we drank the kool-aid" cult. You can do THIS if you comply. 

Take away basic rights and pleasures.  Restrict them. Only allow alcohol to be sold between X time and Y time. No spice sales to non citizens. 

I bet the life span would drop significantly.

Quote from: Decameron on October 18, 2018, 12:35:31 PM

>e

Not wrong but can't templars do whatever the fuck they want anyway?

Everyone wants Tuluk reopened because it was a nice place to roleplay that wasn't delivering what it was supposed to.  Quite the opposite as a matter of fact. 

No one can deny the cake walk that was Tuluk.

I mean they can, but it'd be bullshit lol
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

From a playability point of view that's shit though
yousuck

Sometimes there are things that sound cool when you're theorycrafting, or might work in a dystopian novel. These same things would be absolutely terrible to implement and play through from a multiplayer game standpoint.

This is one of those things.

Well, I certainly applaud your willingness to make a bold suggestion, lol.

Quote from: Delirium on October 18, 2018, 01:22:42 PM
Sometimes there are things that sound cool when you're theorycrafting, or might work in a dystopian novel. These same things would be absolutely terrible to implement and play through from a multiplayer game standpoint.

This is one of those things.

This is what I was feeling, but having trouble putting into words.

It's something I wouldn't bat an eye at in a novel -- something I would likely see as really interesting word building.

It's something that just inspires "wut" when I think about it in the game.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Or we just allow Malken to be Sun King and he takes concubines.

More seriously though, Tuluk is a slightly less economically depressed North Korea. Or it's supposed to be. But it was so fun to drink that golden kool-aid.

(No piss jokes, please.)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Frequently my ideas are too hard core for the masses.  Alas. 

None of you are invited to my birthday party!

You can do cock and ball torture all you want, IC, but making it the basis of one of the game's cities seems a little excessive in our opinion, that's all.