Weekly Update

Started by spawnloser, October 25, 2003, 10:33:00 PM

Okay, seriously, how do some of you people get the update a full day before I do?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

We read the MOTD?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Okay...but people keep mentioning 'the update' instead of MOTD...I expected them to know what they were talking about.  Perhaps I should reconsider that expectation.  :wink:
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

>help skill_two_handed
SKILL_TWO_HANDED                                                   (Combat)

This automatically-used skill is invoked whenever your character fights
with a weapon in both his/her hands (see "help etwo"). It represents your
character's proficiency in fighting with two-handed weapons.

Notes:
  It is somewhat easier to parry using a two-handed weapon.

The frequency of attacking with a two-handed weapon is greater, as it is
  easier to recover from a two-handed attack than other styles of combat.

No shield can be employed when using a two-handed weapon, and your
  character is thus somewhat easier to hit.

See also:
  skill_parry, etwo
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

The awesome changes just keep pouring in. God, makes me wish I was playing a fighting character again.

Is it a change to recover more quickly (striking more frequently) with a two-handed weapon?

If so, I'm thinking this is not a realistic change. not only are weapons mean to be used two-handed heavier (requiring more strength to recover - and thus slower) but also using a two hands on a one-handed weapon forces the wielder to commit their body more too the action, requiring a slower recovery.
*ponder*
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Try it in real life, witchman. Get yourself two small axes, then one big axe. Walk over to the nearest log laying in the yard.

Now try hacking at the log with one axe in each hand. Drop the small ones, pick up the big one in both hands, and go at the log.

You'll find it -much- more efficient to use the big one in both hands. You'll do more damage with each chop and expend less energy. More stress on the back, but more "oomph" per hack. The weight alone of the bigger axe will cause more damage, all by itself, than the effort on your part needed to swing the two smaller ones.

The cost is to the strain on your body, but it will still take less time to cut the log in half with the bigger than with the two smaller.

-She who has actually chopped wood with axes.

Still, using that bigger axe, I'll swing less often.
That was my point.

- he who has actually taught fencing classes
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

Well, I'm looking at it this way. I take my sword, swing it one handed, I'm slow to recover due to lack of strength and less erm... rotational control. Throw my other hand at the bottom of the handle and I'm at least three times as fast. I think the helpfile is comparing using the same weapon in one hand, then two hands.

I guess it seems that way and since it's all fantasy anyway, it all doesn't matter.  :-D  To me this argument is more what geeks do on Sunday while watching TechTv.  :-)  *blush*

Anyway, the purpose in RL of using two hands on a one handed weapon is to leverage more strength, to increase control of a heavier weapon and thus deal more damage.

To increase percision and quickness of the blade you need a hilt thats heavier than the blade and a blade meant for quick hits - like a thrust.  Even though sabers can be pretty quick (slashing) they'll never be quicker than a weapon that doesn't require you to pull back your arm before hitting.

Actually - I wonder if that's coded in?  I wonder if thrusting weapons are (spears and some short swords) are faster than slashing weapons?
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

QuoteActually - I wonder if that's coded in? I wonder if thrusting weapons are (spears and some short swords) are faster than slashing weapons?

Find out IC. There -are- different weapon skills for different reasons.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "witchman"I guess it seems that way and since it's all fantasy anyway, it all doesn't matter.  To me this argument is more what geeks do on Sunday while watching TechTv.  *blush*

Anyway, the purpose in RL of using two hands on a one handed weapon is to leverage more strength, to increase controlof a heavier weapon and thus deal more damage.

That same added control over the weapon can be used for strength or speed. So you can get a boost in strength, or a boost in speed. It really depends on the weapon you're using, like you said.