Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Tools degrade slower, now? Aw.

I guess if you have an awesome quality tool, it probably shouldn't be mangled and useless after you fail to polish a gemstone five times.

I can put scan and listen into my prompt? Usually I know just by how much stun I have left, but I don't always remember to check it! Awesome!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

no delay on pick checks will make some folks very happy!  not me though.  I swear.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on September 13, 2017, 03:23:42 PM
no delay on pick checks will make some folks very happy!  not me though.  I swear.

Hoping it cuts down on the "pick flower plant" .... wait.... wait.... wait..... wait... wait... OH MAN THATS THE WRONG SYNTAX

Quote from: Nessalin
-Prompt will now take %p as an argument to indicate that Scan is active (when Scan is turned off nothing is displayed).
-Prompt will now take %P as an argument to indicate that Listen is active (when Listen is turned off nothing is displayed).

Nice!

Quote from: Nessalin-Typing 'prompt' alone will now output your character's current prompt settings.

(My prompt is three lines long.  Recreating it is the worst part of every new character.)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

This week's changes were mined almost entirely from the bugs/ideas entries that players type in game.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Thank you Nessalin!  These changes are amazingly helpful!   ;D
"I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me."

So City skills are now criminal skills? Even though vasts portions of the populations that have them are using those skills somewhat legally, if not completely so?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on September 29, 2017, 06:38:22 PM
So City skills are now criminal skills? Even though vasts portions of the populations that have them are using those skills somewhat legally, if not completely so?

I feel like this needs more context, because the only thing I THINK you're talking about is the new Chase code?

Nevermind, I see it.

Quote from: Brokkr
Quick Update!

I wanted to let folks know that this project has not fallen by the wayside.

On taking up some of the work the first thing I did was a corporate style re-org to rename the home advantages.  What used to be called city, wilderness and general we are now calling criminal, wilderness and city, in order to better reflect the underlying competencies and chunks of population, without changing anything about the underlying structure!

After this impressive win, I took a break for a few weeks.

But seriously, work progresses.  I'm going to leave this topic locked for now, will reopen when there is more to share!

That all being said, I think its just reorganizing some of the "general" skills into "criminal". Steal is a criminal skill, but I don't think it was categorized as a "city" skill before.

Actually just the opposite.  "City" was populated with skills like steal, pick, sneak, etc. that were, you know, typically used by criminals, although not exclusively so.  But we can discuss later, when there is more to discuss than just labeling the categories in a way such that you have a better idea of the type of skills in them.

This thread is only for discussion of release notes made.  Not all staff announcements.

October 23, 2017, 11:04:41 AM #211 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:08:02 AM by Grapes
OMG, this most recent release notes... mind BLOWN. Good stuff!

EDIT: No, I'm not joking, these are good changes.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

Quote-Modification to make it so a character wouldn't be 'caught' when latching and unlatching their own gear.

Does this mean there will be no fails with it, as well?  This could be detrimental to some who don't use it for thievery, with no way to improve.

If I'm misreading the change, just...play a fiddle at me.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

nerf thieves

Quote from: Riev on October 23, 2017, 12:12:27 PM
nerf thieves

Not sure if that was tongue in cheek at me or not, but in explanation, there is at least one branch out of sleight of hand for non-thieving class.  So if they can't improve, then that becomes...problematic.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Armaddict likes to watch. Although, he does bring up a valid point, however, latching and unlatching are relatively new features, and paths existed before for skilling up.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

If it's possible without giving too much of the mechanics away, can we get a little more detail about this:

Quote from: Nathvaan-Modification to add more detailed logging with regards to criminal behavior.

I'm kind of assuming this is in regards to IC criminal behavior.  If so, what prompted the change?  Is this an anti-code abuse measure, or a realism measure, or just for clan staff awareness, or...?
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: Armaddict on October 23, 2017, 11:59:17 AM
Quote-Modification to make it so a character wouldn't be 'caught' when latching and unlatching their own gear.

Does this mean there will be no fails with it, as well?  This could be detrimental to some who don't use it for thievery, with no way to improve.

Side question, does this mean that I can latch/unlatch my gear successfully without an equivalent skill?
3/21/16 Never Forget

i love reading release notes.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

... This could be detrimental to some who don't use it for thievery, with no way to improve. ...

Even assuming that you can't fail while latching/unlatching your own gear, there are other sleight of hand skills, such as palm and slip.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

"Does this mean there will be no fails with it, as well?  This could be detrimental to some who don't use it for thievery, with no way to improve."
How does being able to open your own gear without being tackled mean you can't fail?
You are also aware silently drawing weapons, taking items out of your own pack (Opening your pack was the only way to get tackled), and opening and closing things also use the sleight of hand skill and will not get you crim coded?

"Side question, does this mean that I can latch/unlatch my gear successfully without an equivalent skill?"
I don't know if lacking sleight of hand will let you attempt sleight of hand abilities, but if you can then there is always a chance. A low as fuck chance, but a chance. If I recall not having steal makes stealing impossible so it could be like that.

I never had an issue with latching/unlatching as long as I didn't use 'unlatch talia pack'. I just used 'unlatch pack'.
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

Quote from: lostinspace on October 23, 2017, 06:33:04 PM

Side question, does this mean that I can latch/unlatch my gear successfully without an equivalent skill?

Isn't the writing on the tin on this one?  Used to be that when you unlatch your own pouch, and fail, some half-giant soldier nearby would grab you and toss you into jail.  Sounds like they fixed this.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on October 24, 2017, 02:38:57 PM
Quote from: lostinspace on October 23, 2017, 06:33:04 PM
Isn't the writing on the tin on this one?  Used to be that when you unlatch your own pouch, and fail, some half-giant soldier nearby would grab you and toss you into jail.  Sounds like they fixed this.

Oh, this is crim code related. I didn't realize unlatching your own gear could trigger guards, and I've been done it on a few characters without reprecussion. I guess I was just lucky, because I honestly thought unlatching your own stuff just didn't trigger crim code.
3/21/16 Never Forget