Alert! Alert!

Started by Doublepalli, August 21, 2016, 12:07:51 AM

Do you think tent code should have some change?

Yes
10 (41.7%)
No
10 (41.7%)
I have no idea
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

August 21, 2016, 12:07:51 AM Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:22:40 AM by Doublepalli
So, you're sitting in a tent. Resting up. You know, getting some shelter from the sun. You can't keep watch outside of your tent because you're sitting. So you check outside periodically with look. Then you fail to check outside for a minute or two, and poof, your mount and maybe all of your stuff is gone!

Idea: When in a tent, be alerted when something enters the room (unless stealthed) because lets be honest, we'd hear someone trekking through sand and what not, or a big old beetle, inix, w/e approaching.

August 21, 2016, 12:26:29 AM #1 Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:31:43 AM by Inks
You can watch outside while sitting just not while resting, for future ref.

Other than that I would be happy with this change if it was fairly non-specific as to what approaches. In the mean time simply sit and watch out instead of rest.

a stake object, to be used with a stake command, that allows you to stake a mount to the ground with varying levels of skill.

this will facilitate protection of mounts by preventing anyone from unhitching the mount without first cutting the rope, which takes a few seconds.

enough seconds for someone paying attention to stand, leave, and scream at you.

or shoot a poison arrow at you from inside.

one or the other.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Oh, I like the mount-hitching idea.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

alternatively, when someone goes to steal your mount, you can

get stake

stake elf

You take the bone stake, and slam it into the elf's heart!

The elf collapses, exploding into ashes!

Nah. If you're gonna rest in a tent you should be vulnerable. Tradeoffs.

Honestly, If you arent silly (see traveling with a tent while alone because reasons) Then you shouldnt have this issue. But hey guess what ic it does at least you still have the tent
#tradeoffs #stakeelf

Quote from: Inks on August 21, 2016, 12:26:29 AM
You can watch outside while sitting just not while resting, for future ref.

Other than that I would be happy with this change if it was fairly non-specific as to what approaches. In the mean time simply sit and watch out instead of rest.

+1
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

I like it that if you're resting in your tent, someone can come take all your stuff. If you're sitting watching out, then it's a nonissue. It makes sense to me. Resting is really taking a load off, and people already go days and days without sleeping because it's too vulnerable.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

even if you're watching out, it takes all of five seconds to run into a room, hitch a mount, stand that mount, and run out of the room. if you mount the mount, it's even less time. n;mount beetle;n n n n n e e e n n e n e n game set match my friend.

Quote from: evilcabbage on August 21, 2016, 10:48:59 PM
even if you're watching out, it takes all of five seconds to run into a room, hitch a mount, stand that mount, and run out of the room. if you mount the mount, it's even less time. n;mount beetle;n n n n n e e e n n e n e n game set match my friend.

I don't see anything wrong with this.

Quote from: Yam on August 21, 2016, 10:51:00 PM

Only thing wrong with it is the lack of individual mounts. I can't spot you with MY beetle later on and make you pay.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 22, 2016, 09:14:05 AM
Quote from: Yam on August 21, 2016, 10:51:00 PM

Only thing wrong with it is the lack of individual mounts. I can't spot you with MY beetle later on and make you pay.

There's the hunt skill...

It's been a while, but doesn't the mount remain hitched to you even while you are inside a tent?

A delay to hitch might prevent the twink grab-and-steal, but I like to think this is just part of the dangers of going out into desert elf lands.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I like it if it is tied to the listen skill.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

August 22, 2016, 11:22:51 AM #15 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:01:06 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on August 22, 2016, 11:22:51 AM
It'd be cool if things inside a tent could be heard outside, and visa verse.

Or maybe: You notice: blah blah

Or one of those things where it's like your on a balcony, and get the message "Outside of the tent, the blah blah grabs your shit and runs"
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

August 22, 2016, 11:36:33 AM #17 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:00:58 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Jacking people's mounts is a time-honored Armageddon tradition.

It would be a damn shame to see it go.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Mount jacker spotted, give back my beetle you piece of poo.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

but can we all get behind "stake elf"?

Quote from: evilcabbage on August 22, 2016, 04:14:54 PM
but can we all get behind "stake elf"?

No, because staking elves from behind doesn't work. Then they get pissy and suddenly a whole tribe is trying to kill you.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

You can currently WATCH OUT while resting, all while the mount you left outside the tent remains hitched. The listen skill will allow you to hear things going on outside.

Tents are already too useful in my opinion.

so the mount is hitched, what good does that do?

i believe you can actually hitch a mount if the mount is hitched from inside a tent, and steal it anyways.

That is not correct. If a mount is hitched, you cannot simply hitch it and take it from whomever is inside the tent. I'm on the tents are fine side of this.