Throw, skills, and cheese gone bad...

Started by The Well Hung Mul, October 07, 2003, 03:21:53 AM

Throw. I can throw objects, but I don't have the skill. I read the helpfiles, and they said that people without the throw skill in thier lists will be able to throw objects, but nothing about the improvement of skills, or anything like that.

So, my question is will I get better at throw if I play darts, gamble, or throw daggers at gith? Even without it in my skill list? After throwing darts enough will I maybe 'branch' and get the skill later?

emote....

The well-hung Mul rips his scrab-shell codpiece free and swings his swollen member about, laughing hysterically and swinging about a bottle of spice-ale as he reaches for the drooping breast of the naked, spice-crazed Half-giant woman.

No.  You might get this skill from branching if you are the right guild, but that would obviously be dependent on you mastering another skill, not using the throw skill.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

just a comment

Darts has its own skill and I think everyone has it, not so sure.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

Most skills can be used even if the skill is not on your skill list.  However, you will never improve if that is the case.  This simply represents the facts that anyone can try to perform some physical feat, but only experts can get extremely good at it.

Also, whenever you "throw" something it does indeed use the throw skill.

This is kinda along the lines of Hand to Hand, or at least 'missing' skills and I've been wondering about that for awhile. I know alot of people practice h2h, but I've Never seen it in  my skill lists, unless I'm just a complete ass...

Will 'boxing' improve a hand to hand or at least weaponless combat skill that I'm unaware of?

If not I think this is a glaring flaw in our combat system, along with the 'Throw' problem. I've played darts alot, and I know that after a few weeks of playing regularly, you ARE going to get better, unless you're trying to NOT get better...

/rambling...

There is no Unarmed Combat skill.  Fighting unarmed will improve your combat ability in general, but not your unarmed combat ability in particular.
Back from a long retirement

I saw someone throw a rotton petoch fruit at someone else, and it didn't initiate combat.  I thought that was the coolest thing, from the elven thrower.  Good job for risking the unknown.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I think as long as your not throwing an acctual coded weapon it won't do acctually damage or start combat. But thats just my guess.

Can you know throw items into other rooms or is that still not done?

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I tried to throw a travel cake, but couldn't.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I would just like to protest the lack of spoiled cheese in this thread.

Down with false advertising!
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I think you can throw things into other rooms as long as you're throwing them at someone.  I'd check to make sure, but the mud's down right now.

Quote from: "Twilight"No.  You might get this skill from branching if you are the right guild, but that would obviously be dependent on you mastering another skill, not using the throw skill.

I think that kinda suks because a builder in rl could learn how to paint if he did it long enough, how about if we made it any class can branch any subskil,l it just might take longer than the guild that can branch it....hope that makes sense.

It does make sense guest, but in the end this is a game.  In a game, you need balance.  If my warrior could learn to backstab, I would never make another assassin.  There are some skill combinations that are simply sick when put together.  Now, that is not to say you can't get these, it just isn't going to be handed out to anyone who can spam a skill enough though.  Just like in the same way you need to show you can be trusted to run around with a magiker, you need to also show the same thing if you want to run around as a back stabbing warrior.  In other words, you need to talk it over the the staff or get a special application.