Food Aging -- Discussion Thread

Started by nessalin, December 14, 2015, 07:56:02 AM

Quote from: Saellyn on December 16, 2015, 04:45:46 PM
That's what rations are for.

Which go against the realism that's trying to be created.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 16, 2015, 04:47:34 PM

Rations last for a very very very long time realistically.  I don't see the issue.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on December 16, 2015, 04:53:27 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 16, 2015, 04:47:34 PM

Rations last for a very very very long time realistically.  I don't see the issue.

Eh? It's just dried fruit and meat. It shouldn't last any longer than the other dried fruit and meat in the game.

December 16, 2015, 05:01:32 PM #178 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:04:48 PM by Molten Heart
Dried meats and fruits don't really go bad, they just get stale and hard. Some rations will bypass the code that ages food because they have to be unwrapped or opened before they become food objects.

It'd be cool if some cooks were able to wrap or prepare rations from foods they've dried to make them not age, or maybe age less quickly as if they were in a container and in the dark working like other preservation methods work.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I agree with you, RGS, but NOT if they add in long-lasting food that is actually long lasting.  That's what I was talking about, with the hunter types and recruits and such still having food.  It's just all...rations, cured food, salted meats.

Nobility and rich merchants, on the other hand, will have the means to say 'I want tasty delicious food.'

In essence, I don't think it breaks the game so long as those longer-lasting items are made.  It just makes it so that different people eat different kinds of food.  I, the fruit forager, will be hawking fruits.  Nobles and such will buy it, because they are rare and harder to find.  But I will lower my price as they start to spoil.  So on and so forth.

The issue I have with the thing is its incomplete state (however, they are making adjustments -very- quickly, which I think is a testament that they realize the fragile, undesirable place it's at right now), and the decay rate being much faster than what I'd desire our food items to have to go through.  We didn't need extremes in this regard to get what we wanted out of it in that discussion.  Where we are now, I consider a sort of extreme until more work goes into the preservation, or more work goes into the individual foods themselves (i.e. Like I said in RAT, bar food gets cheaper and decays quickly, while rations are more valuable and last a -long- time, as is the case when you prepare for long trips).
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Or maybe time to add a cook NPC to the AoD Recruits barracks. Pretty sure they're the only clan that doesn't have freely available food and water for the lowest rank.

Since this is an OOC change, and presumably food in Zalanthas has been spoiling for our PC's entire lives, I feel like these new container types that are meant for preserving food would be fairly commonplace. 
Things that anyone who lived in any sort of city or village would at least have an idea about.  Or maybe I'm the only one who feels like it's some elusive food preservation treasure chest that I'm in search of!  :D

Quote from: manipura on December 16, 2015, 11:27:25 PM
Since this is an OOC change, and presumably food in Zalanthas has been spoiling for our PC's entire lives, I feel like these new container types that are meant for preserving food would be fairly commonplace. 
Things that anyone who lived in any sort of city or village would at least have an idea about.  Or maybe I'm the only one who feels like it's some elusive food preservation treasure chest that I'm in search of!  :D

There should be a food preserver in any somewhat decent apartment, like cisterns or shelves.

Quote from: AdamBlue on December 16, 2015, 11:30:15 PM
Quote from: manipura on December 16, 2015, 11:27:25 PM

There should be a food preserver in any somewhat decent apartment, like cisterns or shelves.

Yes!  I also thought that would be nice.  The better apartments that already have hearths and cisterns and that sort of thing, would have a food storage bin as well.

I honestly think the system should probably be redacted into a no-rot system until everything is properly made and ready. The 'gradual progression build on' is a bit jarring, especially since foods that really shouldn't be going bad are going bad super quick, still. The fact that -legumes- start spoiling after 1 RL day is just strange. I also do not think that the food-rotting system should even be so short for ALL foods.

1 RL day is a Zalanthan week. Would a peanut left out for a week+ still be edible?

If we go by RL standards, I'd say grains and roots are rotting too quickly. Unprepared meat is rotting too slowly. Fruit is about right. I think ideally, you would want to have those groups of foods rotting at different rates in addition to modifications by food preparation.

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 17, 2015, 05:31:22 AM
1 RL day is a Zalanthan week. Would a peanut left out for a week+ still be edible?

Yes.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

FYI: I purchased a case of clementines two weeks ago.
I still have 4 clementines left. I ate one this morning, and it was ripe and juicy and not even almost over-ripe yet.
I ate one the first day after I took it home, and it was also ripe and juicy, though not quite as much as this morning's fruit.

Apples, on the other hand, start to turn mealy after they've been on the counter for a week.

Point being - depends on the fruit but - fruits -can- certainly retain their edible quality well into the two-week mark.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Saellyn on December 17, 2015, 08:46:31 AM
... Flags:

longlived

What the fuck?

Probably just to represent foods that last a while longer in their natural state.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on December 17, 2015, 08:53:40 AM
Quote from: Saellyn on December 17, 2015, 08:46:31 AM
... Flags:

longlived

What the fuck?

Probably just to represent foods that last a while longer in their natural state.

Yup.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

If we haven't already are we going to be looking at updating crafting recipes to incorporate actual preservatives and tools into the preserving process?

In the past if you salted/dried/smoked something....you didn't really need anything other than the craft command to do that. You could salt a piece of meat without a single grain of salt for a thousand miles. You could dry and smoke meat without any fire. So on and so forth...

If we find these in game should we submit them to get them changed?
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on December 17, 2015, 10:16:48 AM
If we haven't already are we going to be looking at updating crafting recipes to incorporate actual preservatives and tools into the preserving process?

In the past if you salted/dried/smoked something....you didn't really need anything other than the craft command to do that. You could salt a piece of meat without a single grain of salt for a thousand miles. You could dry and smoke meat without any fire. So on and so forth...

You can idea them in game.

Quote from: Akariel on December 17, 2015, 10:19:05 AM

You mean send in a request tool thingy because nobody looks at ideas xD

Quote from: Saellyn on December 17, 2015, 10:19:56 AM
Quote from: Akariel on December 17, 2015, 10:19:05 AM

You mean send in a request tool thingy because nobody looks at ideas xD

Ideas are looked into frequently enough. Requests require a certain team to look into them. Ideas do not.

The short-haired, green-eyed man opens his mouth, takes his foot, and inserts it.

Make spoiled loaves of bread turn into bludgeoning weapons instead of rotting away.

I dunno why we'd need to change recipes to accommodate the food aging code.

Yes, it would be cool if recipes needed salt or whatever, but there's always going to be virtual components for tons of crafting recipes, be it food, clothing, armor, or weapons.

Not trying to be a downer, I get what Desertman is saying, but it doesn't seem like implementing food aging necessarily requires food recipes to be more realistic or require more ingredients.  Food will age now regardless of what the recipe for crafting a salted strip of meat is.  And making crafting recipes more complex is a good way for them to get lost as people forget how to make them, especially now that food will poof instead of remain helpfully on a shelf for years to be analyzed.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 17, 2015, 05:31:22 AM

They're Zalanthan peanuts!  So much more hale and robust.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago